Windows 10: "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked

Discus and support "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello there. I have had this nagging issue that's been ongoing for months now and I can't seem to find a reason why it's happening. It happens pretty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by impalaSC, Jun 6, 2023.

1. impalaSC Win User

"System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked

Hello there. I have had this nagging issue that's been ongoing for months now and I can't seem to find a reason why it's happening. It happens pretty much all the time and I can almost reproduce it on demand by either letting my PC sit idle on the desktop for a few minutes, or locking the computer and waiting for the monitors to go into sleep mode. I noticed this issue because I can hear my fan speeds ramp up whenever it's happening, and my CPU temps also rise. My CPU usually idles at around 30-32 Celsius which is normal, but whenever this "system" process starts eating my CPU it will go up to

:)

impalaSC, Jun 6, 2023
  2. Ken Blake Win User

System Idle Process High cpu usage

No, System Idle Process is *not* causing high cpu usage. It's not causing anything at all.

System Idle Process is not really any process at all. It's just a number inserted to make the total CPU usage add up to 100%. From the little information you've provided, I can't tell what your problem is, but it's definitely not System Idle Process .

Ken Blake, Jun 6, 2023
  3. maxatv Win User
    CPU usage 100% but system idle process says otherwise

Hello, So I was copying a large group of files (400 gigs) to an external drive, it was about 150 gigs in when the PC crashed ( i believe due to MSI usb speed up), i've since removed the MSI program but CPU usage stays at 100% from the moment the PC turns on, however system idle process shows it's using most everything which is good, and PC perfomance is normal and unlike if CPU usage was actually 100%, but I can't figure out how to fix this, any suggestions or tips would be so helpful, I've attached screen shots showing 100% usage but every program running doesn't add up to near that and system idle showing everything mostly idle. Thanks!!!!!

"System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked 117978d1485975997t-cpu-usage-100-but-system-idle-process-says-otherwise-highcpujan2017.png

"System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked 117979d1485975997t-cpu-usage-100-but-system-idle-process-says-otherwise-highcpu2jan2017.png

maxatv, Jun 6, 2023
  4. "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked

System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

System Idle Process, as the name suggests is a process that indicates CPU is idle and is not being used, aka is at rest. This is done to totalize CPU usage to 100 between the processes.

So you do not have to worry about anything.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 6, 2023
Thema:

"System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked

1. "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked - Similar Threads - System process increases

2. "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "System" process increases CPU usage when PC is idle or locked: Hello there. I have had this nagging issue that's been ongoing for months now and I can't seem to find a reason why it's happening. It happens pretty much all the time and I can almost reproduce it on demand by either letting my PC sit idle on the desktop for a few minutes,...
  3. System Idle Process high cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Idle Process high cpu: Lately my pc lagging alot And I checked it In task manager And I found System Idle Process get high cpu can you pls help me to solve it I reset the pc but still the same isue...
  4. high cpu usage from idle system background processes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    high cpu usage from idle system background processes: (Windows 10 professional ver 20H2, Ryzen 5600x, id cooling se 224 xt cpu cooler, MSI B550-A Pro mobo) I have high CPU usage from background processes which makes my CPU fan run very loud. Whenever I open Processes Explorer or Task Manager to see what is making this happen, it...
  5. High CPU usage of System process when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage of System process when idle: Hi my pc:108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SS I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 1 month ago with new pc. But have new issue....
  6. “System” process uses 30%cpu when idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “System” process uses 30%cpu when idle: Sometimes the “system” process ( not to be confused with system idle process) will start to use 30% cpu when idle for about 5 minutes. Once I move my mouse, it stops. If I leave it takes about 20 minutes before it stops. I remember I did a complete Windows reinstall (deleted...
  7. High CPU usage of System process when idle

High CPU usage of System process when idle: The System process uses amost a whole thread of CPU after PC is idle for a few minutes, and stops using CPU as far as I do something such as moving mouse or pressing keyboards. I tried to see the CPU usage per thread of System process by using a process explorer running in...
  8. System Idle Process High CPU Usage

System Idle Process High CPU Usage: I had a Windows 7 Professional and then thought about upgrading to Windows 10 since Windows 7 is coming to end. When I upgraded to Windows 10 i got a random Blue Screen. My PC restarted i opened Task Manager and there it is 100% CPU Usage non-stop. Its really annoying i read...
  9. CPU usage 100% but system idle process says otherwise

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU usage 100% but system idle process says otherwise: Hello, So I was copying a large group of files (400 gigs) to an external drive, it was about 150 gigs in when the PC crashed ( i believe due to MSI usb speed up), i've since removed the MSI program but CPU usage stays at 100% from the moment the PC turns on, however system...
  10. CPU usage when PC is idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU usage when PC is idle: This is not an issue but more a curiosity. I have the old Windows cup / ram monitor running as a gadget on Windows 10. When the PC is idle for a few minutes I notice the cup usage always spikes to around 10-13% and stays around that mark. As soon as I touch mouse and move it...