Windows 10: System Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . .

Discus and support System Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . . in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am trying to learn more about the subject above, and feel sure there are some gurus out there with lots of knowledge about the System Properties in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by acmanten, Oct 1, 2015.

1. acmanten Win User

System Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . .

I am trying to learn more about the subject above, and feel sure there are some gurus out there with lots of knowledge about the System Properties in Windows Ten.

I suspect many users only use this section for making a restore file. I have heard that only about 5% of the HD should be used for restore files... so I suspect that after seeing about 5% used (and all the system appeared to be OK) the user should go to "configue..." and delete the restored data file, then right after that deletion - do another "create..." to make a new "create a restore point" was created.

Please post any comments or questions about your use of the "System Properties".. Thanks for any comments.

:)

acmanten, Oct 1, 2015
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Restore Point System Properties - Protection Settings (Missing)

Hi Don,

One of the reasons why there is a "System Partition (CSystem Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . . :) (Missing)" on System Protection because there may a previous version or operating system installed on your computer before having your current version of Windows 10. The "System Partition (CSystem Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . . :) (Missing)"
    contains the system files of the previous version or operating system on your computer. To remove the "System Partition (CSystem Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . . :) (Missing)", follow the steps below:

• Select "System Partition (CSystem Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . . :) (Missing)".
    • Click Configure.
    • Choose Disable system protection.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Check if you can still see "System Partition (CSystem Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . . :) (Missing)".
    Kindly share with us the result.

Argel Obm, Oct 1, 2015
  3. Restore Point System Properties - Protection Settings (Missing)

Worked

DonGoldenCTC, Oct 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 1, 2015
  5. acmanten Win User
    Brink

Thanks and I had read all the tutorial info about subject, and I guess just trying to see if there are more info and how the subject is being used but public., best to all. Cliff M.

acmanten, Oct 1, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    By default Windows will use up to 5% of disk space for restore points but this can be changed. Windows will make multiple restore points over time, the older restore points being automatically deleted to make room for newer ones. This is managed by the system and there is normally no need for user intervention.

LMiller7, Oct 1, 2015
  7. acmanten Win User
    OK, and thanks. I guess I had not read tat info. thanks, cliff M.

acmanten, Oct 1, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

If I recall correctly, System Restore feature was first introduced in Windows ME.
    If you have another mean such as: AOMEI Backupper Or Macrium Reflect Free to create a backup image to an external drive then you shouldn't have to turn on this feature.
    Personally, this is the first thing I turn off after a fresh install
    Reasons:
    • Unreliable and often corrupted. If you search for "System Restore Points" in 8/10 forums, you might find quite a few posts related to the problem.
    • Occupy disk space and if the folder is corrupted, disk space can grow to many GB's
    • System resource hog
    • Restore Points are also stored in the C: Drive so if your drive is corrupted/crashed/inaccessible then there go the restore points.
    • Worst of all, this is where sophisticated Hacker can put Virus, malware in the hidden folder "System Volume Information" where the restore points are stored.

topgundcp, Oct 1, 2015
  9. acmanten Win User
    I started using it as first - but not so much lately. I have been using the Macrium Reflect Free and will be registering it soon. I relly do like Macrium Reflect - easy to use and I have already restored an image made by it... It works fine and is a very fast restore from Image file. best to all Cliff M.

acmanten, Oct 1, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    Cliff:

Since you and I earlier worked on your system, recall my advice that you not rely heavily on System Restore Points - exactly for the reasons outlined by topgundcp above.

Now that you have and are familiar with Macrium Reflect and have external storage available to your desktop, you should give serious consideration to and familiarize yourself with Macrium's scheduled imaging capabilities. In the FREE version you're running, they don't provide incremental imaging but (with V6) they DO now provide differential imaging and scheduling templates for you to use.

Since you have a desktop, you could keep your 4TB external drive hooked up to it and run scheduled backups, full or differential, on a regular schedule. This form of protection would be far superior to that provided by system restore in most instances, especially in the event of the disk in your Acer failing.

Also, now that you are using an SSD in your desktop, you need to re-evaluate taking system restore points and the extra disk writes associated with that. That issue is a whole other can of worms which is debated ad infinitum at this point but is ultimately YOUR decision on how to operate the SSD.

P.S. - Aha! I see you responded while I was writing and, from your response, I see we're pretty much on the same page.*Cool If you license Macrium, then you can do incrementals. With incrementals, you could set up a very efficient schedule of imaging and restores would be very quick if needed, with the RDR feature activated.

Word Man, Oct 1, 2015
  11. acmanten Win User
    Kenn, Thanks so much..

I have not been using the restore points lately... I do remember all you were saying about it and also about the 5%.
    I have been using my Macrium Reflect Free to make backup files and it is really easy to so. I really do like it. I am using the 4tb WD "My Book" Backup drive for several different things. Learning about new things everyday.
    Thanks, and I believe all is fine here now again, and flying high. All working good.

be safe.. cliff

acmanten, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. System Properties - Protection Settings - Learning more about it . . - Similar Threads - System Properties Protection

2. System requirements not met. Go to settings to learn more. - appears in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System requirements not met. Go to settings to learn more. - appears in Windows 11: HiWindows 11 has just started to deliver this message in the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop. File gpedit.msi not found. How do I resolve this problem ?All advice gratefully received.Regards...
  3. System requirements not met. Go to settings to learn more. - appears in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System requirements not met. Go to settings to learn more. - appears in Windows 11: HiWindows 11 has just started to deliver this message in the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop. File gpedit.msi not found. How do I resolve this problem ?All advice gratefully received.Regards...
  4. I want to learn more about computers!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to learn more about computers!!!!: I want to learn more about computers so I'm wondering what books I should buy or classes I should buy to learn more!! I'm wanting to basically learn how to fix problems that may arise on computers to fix them!! I would also just like to learn more basic things about...
  5. I want to learn more about computers!!!!

I want to learn more about computers!!!!: I want to learn more about computers so I'm wondering what books I should buy or classes I should buy to learn more!! I'm wanting to basically learn how to fix problems that may arise on computers to fix them!! I would also just like to learn more basic things about...
  6. Windows 11 System Properties Protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 System Properties Protection: I just installed Windows 11 22H2 using the install assist. I am mostly happy with it but I am having trouble with the system properties protection. I can't delete system restore points or disable it. Is there any way I can fix this short of re-installation? When I try to...
  7. Windows 11 System Properties Protection

Windows 11 System Properties Protection: I just installed Windows 11 22H2 using the install assist. I am mostly happy with it but I am having trouble with the system properties protection. I can't delete system restore points or disable it. Is there any way I can fix this short of re-installation? When I try to...
  8. Windows Security - Learn More

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security - Learn More: Some may not be aware of this and some may find the info available enlightening, interesting. > Windows Security 'dashboard'. > any category & at the top-right is Windows community videos...
  9. Learn More - WhatsApp Security

Learn More - WhatsApp Security: Learn More - WhatsApp Security Privacy and Security is in our DNA From day one, we built WhatsApp to help you stay in touch with friends, share vital information during natural disasters, reconnect with separated families, or seek a better life. Some of your most...
  10. Interactive Sessions to learn more about Office 2016 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Interactive Sessions to learn more about Office 2016 and Windows 10: Social collaboration improves an organization’s ability to react quickly to new data and information. [img] An online immersion session is not your typical online event. These 90-minute interactive sessions start with an online roundtable discussing your business...