Windows 10: System recognition of external drive.

Discus and support System recognition of external drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm attempting to cope files to an external drive. A Seagate1 TB "Expansion". I plug the HD into a USB port, but don't see the drive appear on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JamesBoyer4, Jan 8, 2019.

1. System recognition of external drive.

I'm attempting to cope files to an external drive. A Seagate1 TB "Expansion".

I plug the HD into a USB port, but don't see the drive appear on the desktop or appear as a drive letter.

When I check on the settings page, the device in listed as "Expansion" without any other designations and I'm not able to send anything to the external drive.

How do I get the system to recognize the drive?

:)

JamesBoyer4, Jan 8, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 8, 2019
  4. System recognition of external drive.

Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

System recognition of external drive.

1. System recognition of external drive. - Similar Threads - System recognition external

2. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  3. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  4. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External hard drive recognition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive recognition: Just got a nes desktop that has Windows 10 and I have attached an external hard drive from my old computer that was Windows 7. I can't get the new computer to recognize the drive. Any suggestions?...
  6. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  7. Create System Image of External Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  8. System locked external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System locked external hard drive: Hello, I locked the Pictures folder on my external hard drive using Windows (drive X for this purpose). I believe I used the Security tab on the folder and SYSTEM locked it...basically making it so that if that drive X was not connected to my PC, that folder was...
  9. external HDD recognition problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external HDD recognition problem: hardware spec: ryzen 2700X, ASUS PRIME B450_PLUS, Radeon RX570, 32GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD symptoms: 1. plugs my external HDD (USB3.0) while OS is running * file explorer recognizes drive, but when clicked, It takes an hour to load file list >> clicks any file, dir >>...
  10. external HDD recognition problem

in Windows 10 Support
    external HDD recognition problem: hardware spec: ryzen 2700X, ASUS PRIME B450_PLUS, Radeon RX570, 32GB RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD symptoms: 1. plugs my external HDD (USB3.0) while OS is running * file explorer recognizes drive, but when clicked, It takes an hour to load file list >> clicks any file, dir >>...