Windows 10: system repair disk doesn't recognize the drive my system image backups are on

Discus and support system repair disk doesn't recognize the drive my system image backups are on in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, My computer got infected with some malware, and I would like to use a backup (WindowsImageBackup) residing on an external hard drive. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BostjanVi, Oct 29, 2019.

1. BostjanVi Win User

system repair disk doesn't recognize the drive my system image backups are on

Hello,

My computer got infected with some malware, and I would like to use a backup (WindowsImageBackup) residing on an external hard drive. I have a system repair disk (actually, a USB drive); however, when I boot from it, and navigate to the menu option that handles recovery from system images, my system image is not found. Can someone help me?

Regards,

BV

:)

BostjanVi, Oct 29, 2019

2. Creating a Windows 7 system repair disk or system image to a USB flash drive

A System Repair disk is for basic repair options (Startup Repair, Command Prompt, etc.) for your operating system and is nothing to do with backing up your data or creating an existing System Image.

This explains what it is and does:

System Repair Disc - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

A System Image is just that; an image of the installed operating system, the installed programs, your data, etc. etc. and should be saved to an external hard drive.

It makes an easy way to reinstall everything is you ever need to after file corruption or hard drive failure

I don't use Windows 7 System Image Backup; too unreliable:

These are quite good programs to use for Complete PC Backup and are free:

"EaseUS Todo Backup Free"

Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS® Todo Backup Free

"Welcome to EaseUS Todo Backup Manual"

EaseUS Todo Backup Online Help for Home and Business Users.

http://www.todo-backup.com/download/docs/User_Guide.pdf

"AOMEI Backupper Standard"

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

"Configure and automate AOMEI Backupper in Windows"

https://www.winhelp.us/configure-aomei-backupper-in-windows.html

"Macrium Reflect Free"

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

"Macrium Reflect Tutorial"

http://www.macrium.com/webtutorial/tutorial.asp

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, Oct 29, 2019
  3. okbear611 Win User
    Creating a Windows 7 system repair disk or system image to a USB flash drive

I purchased a new flash drive thinking that I could create either a system repair disk or a system image onto it. When I try the system repair disk option, it will only allow me to create to my the file to my DVD drive. It does not recognize my flash
    drive at all. When I try the system image option, it recognizes my flash drive, but Windows says that it is not a valid destination. It keeps pushing me to my DVD drive as the only valid choice. I have hardly anything on my hard drive, and I made sure to
    get a flash drive that was twice the size of my Windows system files and personal files. Is there any way to get either a system repair disk file onto my flash drive in a Windows 7 environment? What is better: A system repair disk or a system image? I really
    don't understand what the difference is between the two. I have previously tried making repair disks using my DVD drive, but they would never complete without error. I was hoping the flash drive would solve my problem, but it has only created a new one for
    me. Could somebody please help me to figure this out?

okbear611, Oct 29, 2019
  4. CVarga Win User

Recommendations for Windows 10 Home system repair disk and system image creation frequency

I thought I had a good understand of backup and restore for Windows. Following a recent problem where neither my saved backup (system image) nor system recovery disk resolved my problem, I am wondering now what are the recommendations for how often I need
    to create a new system repair disk or a system image.

I understand that any new files or apps and settings changes made following a backup activity can't be restored using my backup or saved system image. What I am curious to know is whether I need to make a new system repair disk and create a new system image
    backup whenever Microsoft distributes a new build version.

When I had the problem I referred to, the system failed to boot up but put me into the Windows Recovery Environment, where it tried to diagnose and repair an undescribed problem. The automatic repair failed. I next tried to use my Win 10 system repair disk
    to no avail. I downloaded the Win 10 ISO and tried to reinstall from it unsuccessfully. The messages I received suggested that the recovery steps I was trying were inconsistent with the installed OS. This brings me back to my original question. When Microsoft
    installs a new build version (such as going from the 10568 to the 14363 builds, do I need to create a new system repair disk and/or a new system image backup? Thanks in advance for your help.

CVarga, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

1. system repair disk doesn't recognize the drive my system image backups are on - Similar Threads - system repair disk

2. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  3. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  4. System Image Backup Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Backup Drives: I purchased a Toshiba 2TB external hard drive-I made a system image from that. I decided something did not feel right about the drive, the drive was an awkward looking size. I deleted the system image and returned it. I had almost 6 hours of back up on this drive and it...
  5. Restore from system image and system repair disk on a CD

Restore from system image and system repair disk on a CD: I am replacing my hard disk. I have system image backup and system repair disk. Can I just restore to an empty hard disk or do I need to install a new copy of Windows 10....
  6. recovery system image repair disk

recovery system image repair disk: I have a Dell 7010 with current updates for win 10. I purchased two new 250g hard drives. I used the system repair disk to install my system backup on the first one. Witch seemed to work fine. when I tried to put the system on my second new hard drive the repair disk will...
  7. System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive

System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive: Dear Sirs- I am running Windows 10 Home Edition on an Acer E5 laptop. I just created a System Image Backup on an external hard drive (Seagate Slim 2 GB). I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help! Upon successful completion of the image backup, I...
  8. System Image not recognizing hard drive

System Image not recognizing hard drive: When I try to create a system image it doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I see it in the file explorer but it will only let me back up to a DVD ROM. I've initialized and formatted the external hard drive but to no avail. I can drag and drop any file on to the drive...
  9. System Image & System Repair Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image & System Repair Disk: My company jettisoned our IT Department and contracted for IT services with an outside firm. Field personnel provided with laptop or desktop (or both) are now required to perform a System Image once per week and, in addition, to create a System Repair CD/DVD each week as part...
  10. System Image & Repair Disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image & Repair Disk: Hello all, When I purchased my computer, a salesman recommended I make a system image in case of computer failure and said I should use a 32 GB external drive. So I took his recommendation and bought one of those USB types. As I pulled up the application to perform this...