Windows 10: System Reserved area of drive requires optimisation

Discus and support System Reserved area of drive requires optimisation in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Message says 100% fragmented, but defrag will not start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jim Nelhams, Aug 28, 2020.

1. System Reserved area of drive requires optimisation

Message says 100% fragmented, but defrag will not start

:)

Jim Nelhams, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Towawi Win User

Microsoft Drive Optimiser says 'System Reserved' needs optimisation, yet it can't be optimised?

I have Windows 10 Pro installed on a single SSD. As most people know, Windows automatically creates a 'System Reserved' partition during installation.

When I use the Microsoft Drive Optimiser utility in Windows, it always says the 'System Reserved' partition
    needs optimisation.

The problem is, when you click optimise, nothing happens.

I understand this partition most likely doesn't need optimisation, my question is -
    Why show it as needing optimisation if it cant be optimised?

System Reserved area of drive requires optimisation 5abb7d49-bcfa-40a8-9d0e-29bb9376b0f2.png

Towawi, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment

Hello Sophie, i'm Timon and i'm glad to help you.

This is the system reserved partition.

You do not need to optimise it.

It is only accessed when recovery operations are initiated or for boot operations, and fragmentation has no significance.

I suggest you leave it alone and don't worry about that !

Jimmy_Timon, Aug 28, 2020
  4. poolmon Win User

System Reserved area of drive requires optimisation

Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

Thanks for all the info guys.

Both original & target SSD's are listed as MBR as opposed to UEFI. I may have created a partition unknowingly in getting the original/new unformatted drive recognized, but I don't recall taking any steps that Windows did not step me through.

Not that an upgrade to WIN 10 Pro is contemplated, but I suspect that having no System Reserved partition will not allow that to happen, after seeing how the original WIN 10 upgrade created a problem for some WIN 7 users that had a smaller 100mb vs 500mb System Reserved partition.

poolmon, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

System Reserved area of drive requires optimisation

1. System Reserved area of drive requires optimisation - Similar Threads - System Reserved area

2. How to access system reserved drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to access system reserved drive: I have checked if I can see the files inside the hard drive when enabling Hidden items? I can't see any of my files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-system-reserved-drive/22bd3816-6d08-4e86-a422-cd8a5476c57f
  3. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  4. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  5. Defragment and Optimise Drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defragment and Optimise Drives: Hi All, When I go in to the services app in my Windows 10 HE, Defrag and Optimise Drives is not listed as a service. Also when I type in the search bar to bring up the app, nothing happens other than a very quick blink. I could go a cmd line, but I don't actually need to...
  6. Volume in drive C is reserved by system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume in drive C is reserved by system: I'm trying to access the directory of my drive C through the cmd (with administration), but instead I get "Volume in drive C is reserved by system". I can access drive D very easily. Any suggestions how I may access it?...
  7. Optimising the SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optimising the SSD drives: Hello everyone, Since 4 days I've got a problem regarding the SSD drives as follows: every time after reboot it's always show that the SSD drives never run for optimisation although I did many times before reboot. Has anyone experienced such a problem and got a solution?...
  8. Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimise Drives - System Hard disk drive - Unable to optimise/defragment: Is this normal or should I be concerned? I've tried SFC and DISM commands and everything seems good. Please see the attached image. [ATTACH]...
  9. optimise drive error

in Windows 10 Customization
    optimise drive error: when I click on defrag and optimise drive setting nothing happens what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optimise-drive-error/54b98083-bb7b-4d5e-be3e-c8acf72e4943
  10. " Defragment and Optimise Drives "

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    " Defragment and Optimise Drives ": Hi, First of all, I would like to describe the laptop that I have. I have an 128gb SSD which holds the OS on it and a 1 terabyte HDD which I use for all my programs, documents, music, videos etc etc, both came with the laptop. Now I know its safe and normal to defrag a HDD...