Windows 10: System & Reserved files huge

Discus and support System & Reserved files huge in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All. I cloned my hard drive to a new Samsung 500 GB Hard drive. The problem I see is that the disk is nearly full due to the System & Reserved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KyleSoberanes, Jun 12, 2019.

1. System & Reserved files huge

Hi All. I cloned my hard drive to a new Samsung 500 GB Hard drive. The problem I see is that the disk is nearly full due to the System & Reserved files being 318GB (see snapshots below). According to WinDirStat, only 145GB is being used. Looking at Storage, the System Files section shows 310GB, which is obviously way too large.

Looking at diskpart, the drive is fully allocated with small recovery petitions.

Any idea why my 500GB hard drive is acting like a 250GB hard drive or how to clean out the System Files that are hogging space?

Thanks!

System & Reserved files huge feab9626-620c-473a-a38c-25476364cf00?upload=true.png System & Reserved files huge 705b6214-613f-403a-94d8-612226ed1eea?upload=true.png

System & Reserved files huge 43370904-4e13-44d9-9b36-dab6cb844c1d?upload=true.png System & Reserved files huge 8f9ae792-61a3-484c-9bbf-3abfda9c8135?upload=true.png System & Reserved files huge f1359231-2d17-478c-8a21-63c04790620c?upload=true.png System & Reserved files huge fb375ef3-973b-4498-a227-ceb2333d597a?upload=true.png

:)

KyleSoberanes, Jun 12, 2019

2. System Reserved Memory issue

Hi Rowan,

The reduction in available system memory depends on the configuration of the following:

• The devices that are installed in the computer and the memory that is reserved by those devices
    • The ability of the motherboard to handle memory
    • The system BIOS version and settings
    • The version of Windows 10 that is installed
    • Other system settings

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest that you check your system for memory problems.

Here's how:

• Type mdsched.exe in the search bar and select the best match.
    • When prompted by the User Account Control, enter an admin user name and password, and click
      Yes.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run it.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Jun 12, 2019
  3. poolmon Win User
    Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

Thanks for all the info guys.

Both original & target SSD's are listed as MBR as opposed to UEFI. I may have created a partition unknowingly in getting the original/new unformatted drive recognized, but I don't recall taking any steps that Windows did not step me through.

Not that an upgrade to WIN 10 Pro is contemplated, but I suspect that having no System Reserved partition will not allow that to happen, after seeing how the original WIN 10 upgrade created a problem for some WIN 7 users that had a smaller 100mb vs 500mb System Reserved partition.

poolmon, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

System & Reserved files huge

System & Reserved almost full?

Thank you for the information and posting back.

High System & Reserved memory usage could be due to the following:

• High Windows.old file(s) size
    • Large cache of trace files size
    • Windows 10 system file issues

We would like to know some information to better isolate the issue:

• Do you have a C:\windows.old folder on your C: drive?
    • Which Windows version and build are you using? Type winver on search box and press
      Enter.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Can you post a screenshot of what is inside the System & reserved storage? Double-click System & reserved. See picture below for reference.

System & Reserved files huge 3b68d058-4ea9-4b39-874f-7885d566e601.png

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

System & Reserved files huge

1. System & Reserved files huge - Similar Threads - System Reserved files

2. huge size of c: without no reason bec system files in system reserved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    huge size of c: without no reason bec system files in system reserved: I found my c: drive get big without no reason after copy or install any thing ,when i check storage in setting after press show more categories i found that hidden system and reserved take 23-50g of the c: storagesolve : its problem in NTFS compression that take this space...
  3. Windows 10 D Drive Huge System and Reserved Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 D Drive Huge System and Reserved Space: Hello!System and reserved take so much space on d drive that I don't know what else I can do! I need it now! how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-d-drive-huge-system-and-reserved-space/d0e11d76-b29d-43a0-99ef-31755abc0cab
  4. Windows 10 D Drive Huge System and Reserved Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 D Drive Huge System and Reserved Space: Hello!System and reserved take so much space on d drive that I don't know what else I can do! I need it now! how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-d-drive-huge-system-and-reserved-space/d0e11d76-b29d-43a0-99ef-31755abc0cab
  5. Windows 10 D Drive Huge System and Reserved Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. System and reserved files over 700GB

System and reserved files over 700GB: My system storage is literally more than 700gb im pretty sure this is not normal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-and-reserved-files-over-700gb/29162417-dabf-4711-a416-aba6419f5f08
  7. System files are huge. Windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System files are huge. Windows reinstall: Hey guys I just bought a prebuilt off Newegg a few weeks ago and from the start the system files were already about 200 GB. Now its grown to 300 and I'm running out of space. Since system files holds Windows 10, would it make sense to CLEAN reinstall windows with a media...
  8. Is a 39gb System & Reserve file normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is a 39gb System & Reserve file normal?: I use sleep a little, and it says it has 8gb in hibernation, 18 in system files, 7 gb in system restore, and the rest is in virtual memory this normal? The system restore section is a little much in my opinion, probably since I use one drive for everything. submitted by...
  9. System & Reserved taking huge hard disk space in Windows 10

System & Reserved taking huge hard disk space in Windows 10: Hi! My system disk system files take 111gb of memory. I cleaned WinSxS folder but still its a lot of memory. I checked C:\Windows\Logs\CBS but its only 271mb. What can i do to clean my disk? Thanks...
  10. System files in reserved space problem

System files in reserved space problem: Hello, I've got a serious problem with my windows system files which are in reserved space. I can't clean it up in any way, I've tried all solutions I'd found on the Internet like cleaning up disk, optimising, defragmenting, and using windows tools to free up all caches and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows system and reserved huge

2. windows 10 system and reserved storage too large

3. system files are huge windows 10

4. windows 10 system and reserved files,
  5. windows system and reserved too large,
  6. system and reserved windows 10 huge,
  7. w10 massive system reserved folder,
  8. system reserve files are huge