Windows 10: System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ???

Discus and support System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ??? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Started doing some cleaning and guttering of the system today and found that my HDD which is just used for mass junk storage like movies, Shadowplay... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DiBBz, May 19, 2021.

1. DiBBz Win User

System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ???

Started doing some cleaning and guttering of the system today and found that my HDD which is just used for mass junk storage like movies, Shadowplay recordings etc etc has 2 drive letters assigned to it.. And thought thats weird. then looked in dis management and seen that it had the system reserved on the same drive as my HDD (disk 0) After seeing this im wondering if this was to do with the boot drive ssd upgrad i did a couple months ago, Going from a 120gb ssd > 240gb So first and foremost, should i be looking at getting the system reserved moved over to the ssd. just in case this is potential cause for concern in the future, Second, what is the meaning in regards to showing it as being the "Primary Partition" Third, im now confused if if my boot times have been slow this entire time because of the fact that the system reserved is on the hard drive or if it is infact going off the SSD. as its clearly marked as boot. any insight regarding this matter and if its a cause for fixing, any suggestions would be greatly appretiated!

:)

DiBBz, May 19, 2021

2. System Reserve partition not on C: drive?

Sherry, I hate to disagree, but my detector goes off when I read your replies.

In the distant past, hard drives DID serve as the main storage of personal computers. Long before that, we had floppy disk drives and even before that, we had NO mass storage. But those days are past. Now, there are many computers that do not have ANY hard
    drive, just a big SSD. I'm not positive, but I think some of them run the Windows OS; I see posts online about running SSD-only computers w/ WIndows 7/8/10.

Again, I'm not positive and I don't have an old computer w/ the right configuration to check, but I don't remember Windows 7 splitting up the OS, putting part on the SSD and part on the HDD. Until recently, I had not heard of a "System Reserve" partition.

When you write, "...SSD, from the word itself, it’s just a backup of the main storage of the computer" that makes no sense. There is nothing in the term "Solid State Drive" that implies "backup"!

Thus, one final series of questions:

• If I was to remove all my HDDs, is it possible to install Windows 10 on that SSD?
    • If I then added a HDD, for my data, would everything still work?
    • Would you notice that I had added a HDD and covertly create a System Reserve partition on one of the HDDs?

ChuxterChuxter, May 19, 2021
  3. Frcraig Win User
    Two System Reserve Partitions

I have two hard drives on my computer, an SSD with my operating system (Windows 8.1 which I just successfully upgraded to Windows 10) and an hdd for additional storage. After upgrading to Windows 10 I noticed that I now have two System Reserve Partitions.
    One partition is on the SSD and the other is on the hdd. Both contain bootmgr and similar files. The files on the hdd have newer file modified/created dates than those on the ssd System Reserve partition. If I set my BIOS to boot from the SSD I get the
    blue screen message "no bcd found". If I set the BIOS to boot from the hdd it takes over a minute, but Windows 10 boots fine.

I'm guessing that the System Reserve partition on the hdd (storage hard drive) contains the boot files for Windows 10, but Windows 10 is not installed on that drive, it is installed on the SSD (which I think has the old Windows 8.1 boot files on its own
    System Reserve partition).

I've given the two System Reserve partitions drive letters so that I can see the contents of the drives. Can I simply copy the contents of the newer System Reserve partition onto the older System Reserve partition so that Windows 10 will boot from the same
    SSD that it is installed on?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Craig

Frcraig, May 19, 2021
  4. poolmon Win User

Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

Thanks for all the info guys.

Both original & target SSD's are listed as MBR as opposed to UEFI. I may have created a partition unknowingly in getting the original/new unformatted drive recognized, but I don't recall taking any steps that Windows did not step me through.

Not that an upgrade to WIN 10 Pro is contemplated, but I suspect that having no System Reserved partition will not allow that to happen, after seeing how the original WIN 10 upgrade created a problem for some WIN 7 users that had a smaller 100mb vs 500mb System Reserved partition.

poolmon, May 19, 2021
Thema:

1. System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ??? - Similar Threads - System reserved same

2. How to access system reserved drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to access system reserved drive: I have checked if I can see the files inside the hard drive when enabling Hidden items? I can't see any of my files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-access-system-reserved-drive/22bd3816-6d08-4e86-a422-cd8a5476c57f
  3. System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?

System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?: Hi! I have Windows installed on SSD, but System Reserved partition is on HDD. Will this slow down my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-reserved-partition-on-hdd-slow-down-my-pc/e914d71d-40ee-492a-b4d2-7a9d3334dc4b
  4. System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?: Hi! I have Windows installed on SSD, but System Reserved partition is on HDD. Will this slow down my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-reserved-partition-on-hdd-slow-down-my-pc/e914d71d-40ee-492a-b4d2-7a9d3334dc4b
  5. System Reserved partition on HDD slow down my PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. System Reserved Drive D

System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  7. System Reserved Drive D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Reserved Drive D: I am just wondering what the system reserved drive is. I googled it, and it shouldn't be showing up, let alone have a letter assigned to it. When I open it, its completely empty and it says it is System Reserved D: Will this drive cause any problems and why is it even showing...
  8. All my drives are System Reserved i think

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All my drives are System Reserved i think: Hello, Im trying to mod my games, but somehow i cant.First, i didnt know why. Eventually i realized, that all my drives have system Files on them. Is that the reason i cant mod the games? i heard, that games in system files are unmoddable. I hope someone can help me with...
  9. Volume in drive C is reserved by system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Volume in drive C is reserved by system: I'm trying to access the directory of my drive C through the cmd (with administration), but instead I get "Volume in drive C is reserved by system". I can access drive D very easily. Any suggestions how I may access it?...
  10. System Reserved partition is on my data drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved partition is on my data drive: I'm trying to do a disk image backup of the C: drive. However, since my system reserved partition is on my data drive (D:) it backs up my entire 1TB data drive. I know that generally the system reserved partition is a separate partition of less than 200MB, but somehow on my...