Windows 10: System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk

Discus and support System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just noticed, after over almost 2 years with Win10, that my system disk (MBR) has a System Reserved partition. I had thought that didn't happen on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JJG10, Mar 21, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk

I just noticed, after over almost 2 years with Win10, that my system disk (MBR) has a System Reserved partition. I had thought that didn't happen on an MBR disk. Is it needed and can I remove it?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Mar 21, 2017
  2. Jaqenh'ar Win User

Failure of feature update 1607 (Anniversary Update) ....it was showing we couldn't update the system reserved partition ...please help to solve this

If it’s a GPT disk, it doesn't have a system reserved partition but efi partition. On MBR disk, Windows 10 requires a 500MB system reserved partition, while 100MB in Windows 7, so you can try to extend system reserved partition.

<removed link>

Jaqenh'ar, Mar 21, 2017
  3. Can't install Windows 10.

I had Windows 10 on my laptop but I installed Ubuntu and uninstalled windows 10 but now I again want to install Windows 10. I have got one Installation CD of Windows 10 but when I tend to install it the follwing happens:-

Clicking on drive 0 partion1:-

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the Gpt partion style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. windows must be installed to a partion formatted as NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. This partion is an EFI system partion (ESP)

Clicking on drive 0 partion 2:-

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the Gpt partion style.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. windows must be installed to a partion formatted as NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. This partion is an EFI system partion (ESP)

Clicking on drive 0 partion 3 :-

Please help me solve this problem.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

KAUSTUBH KEJRIWAL, Mar 21, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

MBR drives do get System Reserved Partitions. That is where the boot files are and unless you move the boot files to another partition the computer will stop booting if you delete it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 21, 2017
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you very much! That explains it.

JJG10, Mar 21, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    If, when installing Windows, you create a Partition and Format it and install Windows to it, it will not create a System Reserved Partition, the Boot files will be within the C: Partition.
    If you install Windows to an Initialized drive with no Partitions, Windows will automatically create Partitions, including the System Reserved Partition.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Reserved Partion on MBR Disk - Similar Threads - System Reserved Partion

2. Disk partioner not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partioner not working: Hello, I recently built a new computer because my old one was kinda getting slow, and since then ive had an 8 terrabyte hard drive installed and have never been able to figure out a way to get it working. When I go into my disk manager I am not given any options of what to do...
  3. Disk partioner not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk partioner not working: Hello, I recently built a new computer because my old one was kinda getting slow, and since then ive had an 8 terrabyte hard drive installed and have never been able to figure out a way to get it working. When I go into my disk manager I am not given any options of what to do...
  4. Extending System Partion

Extending System Partion: Hi, my client's laptop has a large unallocated partition that I would like to use to extend the system C: partition.There is very limited free space on the system partition.Can you recommend a utility that can boot from USB to extend the partition.Thanks!...
  5. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  6. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  7. reinstalled win10 on new drive & cant see system reserved partion.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstalled win10 on new drive & cant see system reserved partion.: Background. My old HD (disk 0) is looking faulty so I installed a new drive (disk 1) and did fresh win10 install. I left Disk 0 in PC to test/reformat etc. I now want to partition new C: drive so I have a separate smaller boot partition for cloning/ win reinstall but am...
  8. windows cannot update system reserved partion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows cannot update system reserved partion: windows won't update system reserved partition. how do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-cannot-update-system-reserved-partion/2f943836-5464-4673-b605-115393033fca
  9. Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why Won't Samsung Data Migration Clone The System Reserve Partion?: As a part of my maintenance I always clone my SSD periodically to an identical Samsung SSD. I just did so on my new WIN 10 desktop. While the clone works fine its missing the 450mg System Reserve/Recovery Partition (SRP). This was not an issue in WIN 7and I use the same USB3...
  10. Why Won't Samsung Magician Clone The System Reserve Partion?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why Won't Samsung Magician Clone The System Reserve Partion?: As a part of my maintenance I always clone my SSD periodically to an identical Samsung SSD. I just did so on my new WIN 10 desktop. While the clone works fine its missing the 450mg System Reserve Partition (SRP). This was not an issue in WIN 7and I use the same USB3 to SATA...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. extend system reserved partition MBR