Windows 10: System Reserved partition is on my data drive

Discus and support System Reserved partition is on my data drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to do a disk image backup of the C: drive. However, since my system reserved partition is on my data drive (D:) it backs up my entire 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HankMorgan1, Nov 10, 2018.

1. System Reserved partition is on my data drive

I'm trying to do a disk image backup of the C: drive. However, since my system reserved partition is on my data drive (DSystem Reserved partition is on my data drive :) it backs up my entire 1TB data drive. I know that generally the system reserved partition is a separate partition of less than 200MB, but somehow on my system my system reserved partition is my data partition. What is the safest way to create the system reserved partition on my C: drive and remove the system and active attributes from my D: drive. I'm attaching a screenshot of my disk management info. System Reserved partition is on my data drive 59a15b6c-fd2d-4b53-b6f5-74cf42d95070?upload=true.jpg

:)

HankMorgan1, Nov 10, 2018

2. We couldn't update the system reserved partition

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply.

The 128MB partition is the "System Reserved" partition. Windows 7, 8, and 10 create a special “System Reserved” partition when you install them on a clean
    disk. Windows doesn’t assign a drive letter to these partitions, so you’ll only see them when you

use Disk Management
    or similar utility.

This partition contains two important things:

• The Boot Manager and Boot Configuration Data: When your computer boots, the Windows Boot Manager starts up and reads the boot data from the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) Store. Your computer boots the boot loader off
      the System Reserved partition, and it boots Windows from your system drive.
    • The startup files used for BitLocker Drive Encryption: If you ever decide to

encrypt your hard drive with BitLocker drive encryption
      , the System Reserved partition contains the necessary files for starting your computer. Your computer boots the unencrypted System Reserved partition, and it will
      decrypt the main encrypted drive and boot the encrypted Windows system.

The System Reserved partition is essential if you want to use BitLocker drive encryption, which can’t function otherwise. Important boot files are also stored here by default, although you could store them on the main Windows partition if you preferred.

It is preferably not recommended to delete this partition. Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 10, 2018
  3. Alan B Win User
    "Windows 10 couldn't be installed - we could update the system reserved partition"

I think you mean "could not update", not "could".

Suggestions:

• Disconnect any other hard drives.
    • Run chkdsk /f on the System Reserved partition. You'll have to do this from the CMD prompt in Repair Mode.
    • Initially there were reports of some System Reserved partitions being too small for the upgrade. Search for details if the first two suggestions fail.

Alan B, Nov 10, 2018
  4. System Reserved partition is on my data drive

Anthony Gal, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

System Reserved partition is on my data drive

1. System Reserved partition is on my data drive - Similar Threads - System Reserved partition

2. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  5. System reserved partition on secondary drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System reserved partition on secondary drive: I have two drives, a SSD and HDD. I just did a fresh install of Win10 on my SSD. For some reason, the system reserved partition wound up on my HDD instead. I did some Googling and it sounds like the best practice is to disconnect secondary drives before installing, which I...
  6. 2 System Reserved Partitions on my System

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 System Reserved Partitions on my System: In disk management, I have 2 system reserved partitions. One on my main SSD, the other on my Storage HDD. I heard if the other drive fails with the system reserved on then the system will not boot. What do I do about these 2 system reserved partitions?...
  7. System reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  8. No system reserved partition on my SSD

No system reserved partition on my SSD: How do I create a system reserved partition on my SSD C: drive. I have 3 other drives installed and all have reserved system partitions. Any help would be appreciated 16516
  9. No system reserved partition

No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...
  10. No System Reserved Partition On My SSD

No System Reserved Partition On My SSD: I have an SSD with WIN7 installed. It has no System Reserved Partition (SRP) and thus no boot files on that nonexistent partition. I've read here that individuals with a SRP of only 100mb have had issues installing WIN 10 and that those issues were resolved by expanding the...