Windows 10: System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed

Discus and support System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; More or less in the title. I wanted to encrypt my drive with Veracrypt, and found out that the partition Windows boots from is on my hard drive, where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by powerlien, Feb 13, 2019.

1. powerlien Win User

System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed

More or less in the title. I wanted to encrypt my drive with Veracrypt, and found out that the partition Windows boots from is on my hard drive, where I keep things I don't want on my SSD, instead of on my SSD. Is there any way to move the partition to my SSD that doesn't involve a full reinstall of Windows?

:)

powerlien, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Frcraig Win User

Two System Reserve Partitions

I have two hard drives on my computer, an SSD with my operating system (Windows 8.1 which I just successfully upgraded to Windows 10) and an hdd for additional storage. After upgrading to Windows 10 I noticed that I now have two System Reserve Partitions.
    One partition is on the SSD and the other is on the hdd. Both contain bootmgr and similar files. The files on the hdd have newer file modified/created dates than those on the ssd System Reserve partition. If I set my BIOS to boot from the SSD I get the
    blue screen message "no bcd found". If I set the BIOS to boot from the hdd it takes over a minute, but Windows 10 boots fine.

I'm guessing that the System Reserve partition on the hdd (storage hard drive) contains the boot files for Windows 10, but Windows 10 is not installed on that drive, it is installed on the SSD (which I think has the old Windows 8.1 boot files on its own
    System Reserve partition).

I've given the two System Reserve partitions drive letters so that I can see the contents of the drives. Can I simply copy the contents of the newer System Reserve partition onto the older System Reserve partition so that Windows 10 will boot from the same
    SSD that it is installed on?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Craig

Frcraig, Feb 13, 2019
  3. HiTech_32 Win User
    System reserved partition created itself on the HDD instead of the SSD!Please help me!

Yes, I deleted the partitions on the SSD and HDD,and then firstly created partition on the SSD which automatically created the System Reserved,partition on the SSD,then I created a partition on the HDD.

I would like to thank to all of you for helping me ! *Smile System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed :)

HiTech_32, Feb 13, 2019
  4. System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed

System reserved partition created itself on the HDD instead of the SSD!Please help me!

Reinstall Windows without any other drives plugged in. Kind of an lesser-known general rule when doing an OS install in a system with more than one HDD/SSD. The system partition cannot be removed and keep the OS functional. Delete the partition, resize the partition that was resized without your permission to get the lost space back and the unplug all other drives while you reinstall Windows. After the installation is complete plug them all back in. Make sure the system power is off when doing all of this plugging/unplugging.

lexluthermiester, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed

1. System reserved partition on HDD, not SSD where Windows is installed - Similar Threads - System reserved partition

2. My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...: So apparently when I installed Windows a long ago I had both drives plugged in and Windows decided to install System Reserved on my HDD instead of keeping it on the same drive SSD with the rest of Windows and Recovery. I only discovered this because I was attempting to enable...
  3. My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...: So apparently when I installed Windows a long ago I had both drives plugged in and Windows decided to install System Reserved on my HDD instead of keeping it on the same drive SSD with the rest of Windows and Recovery. I only discovered this because I was attempting to enable...
  4. fresh install of Win10 on SSD but no system reserve/recovery partitions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fresh install of Win10 on SSD but no system reserve/recovery partitions: Hi After a fresh install of Win10 on SSD, I have no system reserve/recovery partitions on C: - Is this an issue? I am experiencing freezes and boot problems after the freeze until I remove all the drives. I have 2 other SATA HDD's which were not connected at the time of...
  5. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  6. Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD

Deleting system reserved & recovery partitions on old HDD: I recently installed an SSD and cloned W10 onto it from my old HDD Disk 0. I now want to use that HDD for storage, but as you can see from the screen grab it has a system reserved partition J: and a Recovery Partition on it. [ATTACH] How do I delete the redundant system...
  7. Lost system reserved partition having moved from HDD to SSD

Lost system reserved partition having moved from HDD to SSD: I appear to have lost system reserved partition having moved from HDD to SSD and have now removed it from my old HDD, i migrated my drive over to the new SSD using the the provided tool from Samsung. Once the migration was complete, I noticed that the new drive did not have...
  8. No system reserved partition on my SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No system reserved partition on my SSD: How do I create a system reserved partition on my SSD C: drive. I have 3 other drives installed and all have reserved system partitions. Any help would be appreciated 16516
  9. No system reserved partition

No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...
  10. No System Reserved Partition On My SSD

No System Reserved Partition On My SSD: I have an SSD with WIN7 installed. It has no System Reserved Partition (SRP) and thus no boot files on that nonexistent partition. I've read here that individuals with a SRP of only 100mb have had issues installing WIN 10 and that those issues were resolved by expanding the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 ssd hdd system reserved

2. windows put reserved on hdd not ssd

3. system reserved on hdd not ssd

4. windows on ssd but system reserved partition on hdd,
  5. why is system reserved on my hdd,
  6. hdd has system reserve instead of ssd,
  7. system reserve partition on hdd not ssd,
  8. why is my system reserve on my hdd and not ssd,
  9. reserved by system at hdd not ssd,
  10. instaled windows 10 after ssd no system reserved partition?,
  11. should system reserved be on ssd or hdd,