Windows 10: System Restore....a bit confused

Discus and support System Restore....a bit confused in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I recently upgraded from Win 7 to 10, and when exploring my Control Panel, I found the category "Backup and Restore - Windows 7". I was actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by miata54, Nov 10, 2017.

1. miata54 Win User

System Restore....a bit confused

I recently upgraded from Win 7 to 10, and when exploring my Control Panel, I found the category "Backup and Restore - Windows 7". I was actually looking for "System Restore" that I had in Win 7 Where could I find/set a restore point? Is it possible to set a restore point in Win 10 if I desire to do a System Restore? If not, would creating a System Image with Macrium be the best alternative?

Thanks

:)

miata54, Nov 10, 2017
  2. Linley Meslier, Nov 10, 2017
  3. adjwm Win User
    A bit confused about Java support

Can you tell me if there are restrictions on the use of a MIDlet Manager in comparison with default JME support?

Thanks.

adjwm, Nov 10, 2017
  4. miata54 Win User

OK, I found the info I was looking for in the Tutorials section. Am I correct in that if I select "Backup and Restore - Windows 7" that this function will take me back to Win 7?

miata54, Nov 10, 2017
  5. cbwilsha Win User
    System Restore still exists. Hit the Win key and type Restore and hit Enter.

C.B.

cbwilsha, Nov 10, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    No. It is used to create a very unreliable system image backup of your current installation and, maybe, be able to restore your system in the event of a major system failure, either software or hardware failure.

NavyLCDR, Nov 10, 2017
  7. davidhk Win User
    Go back to Control Panel > top right, click View by > select small or large > Recovery > Configure System Restore > Create..... that's where you create your restore point.

A simpler way is in the Cortana search bar, type..... create a restore point > Enter > Create

davidhk, Nov 10, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

I've never had a problem with it.

System Restore....a bit confused [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 10, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    To backup, +1, a previous poster's answer: if I understand Windows correctly, no System Restore Point can be used to revert Windows 10 back to Windows 7.

RolandJS, Nov 13, 2017
  10. You are correct System Restore can only be use for restoring Windows system files and settings.

FreeBooter, Nov 13, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    When you upgrade to a new build, all system restore points are deleted by design, because they are irrelevant in the new environment.

After upgrading to a new Win 10 build, you are allowed 10 days to revert to the previous build- Windows.old is created when you upgrade and used for the reversion. It is deleted automatically after the 10 day period.

This is how you go back to a previous build:
    Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Note that Backup and Restore is being deprecated by MS, and 3rd party tools are recommended by them (and for a long time us) such as Macrium Reflect (free) - far more robust and feature rich.

dalchina, Nov 15, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    I would not say very unreliable, but I would say less reliable than our favourite Macrium Reflect which is extremely reliable.

cereberus, Nov 15, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Unreliable enough, from various threads I have seen posted about it, that I would not trust it to safeguard any data that I was not willing to lose anyway.

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    I use it all the time to swap images on my test machine, 'System Two' below, so I think I can speak with some experience. It is reliable when you stay within its limitations, unfortunately there's no real documentation as to what those limits are - I've had to find out by trial and error.

A restore is 100% reliable. What 'breaks' is its ability to recognise an image that could be restored. Ways to break it include moving and/or renaming the images - apparently innocuous actions that some may take to try and preserve multiple versions of the system images. It only works well if you don't try to be too 'clever' with it, don't try to do things it wasn't designed for - for that you need Macrium *Smile

Thema:

1. System Restore....a bit confused - Similar Threads - System Restore bit

2. Confusion Around x64 Bit Programs and Uninstaller Tools

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confusion Around x64 Bit Programs and Uninstaller Tools: I have the Free version of RevoUninstaller, I don't use it a lot but it's come in handy; however, I'm encountering some confusion with conflicting results, Revo themselves and other websites, say the Free version cannot uninstall x64 bit programs and that this is reserved for...
  3. System restore confusion.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore confusion.: "Settings > System > Storage > System & reserved > System restore" reports 6.11 GB. "System properties > System protection > Configuration" reports 1.80 MB I have run "SFC /scannow" and "Chkdsk" as administrator with no resolve. EDIT: Found the problem, I was selecting the...
  4. System restore confusion.

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore confusion.: "Settings > System > Storage > System & reserved > System restore" reports 6.11 GB. "System properties > System protection > Configuration" reports 1.80 MB I have run "SFC /scannow" and "Chkdsk" as administrator with no resolve. EDIT: Found the problem, I was selecting the...
  5. A bit confused here...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A bit confused here...: Hello everybody. I'll try to keep this one as short as possible, if you need any more details, just reply obviously. So, I installed on my Acer Nitro AN515-31 the Windows 10 Enterprise I like installing and uninstalling the OS, testing different stuff, yes, this is a test...
  6. System Restore - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit: I have used System Restore to good effect many time through the many versions of Microsoft Windows and it has solved a lot of problems for me. My present computer is about six months old and is very fast and connects to the internet instantly using the new Microsoft Edge...
  7. operating system - much confusion!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    operating system - much confusion!: One of my machines is an Acer Aspire 5333 - this has at present a 32 bit win 10 installation. Processor is an Intel P4600. Having googled around I have conflicting results to say the laptop will not take a 64 O/S system, whereas other sources say it will. If I go to the...
  8. Security concern and a bit confused

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security concern and a bit confused: I stumbled upon this Group policy setting that when I Disable the policy, the Admin Username will not be displayed in the UAC prompt when elevated from a Standard user account. Enumerate administrator accounts on elevation Meanwhile, I can select and see the Admin...
  9. A bit confused....

in Windows 10 Support
    A bit confused....: If I were to restore from FCU to CU would I have to reinstall programs and software that I have already installed after the update? I know it says that any apps and drivers would need to be reinstalled but by apps do they mean Win10 apps from the store or actual programs?...
  10. What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the default partition layout... a bit confused...: Hi there, I have just performed a clean install of Windows 10 from a bootable DVD, made from Media Creation Tool. Laptop with initial HP recovery stuff and OEM programs removed! During the installation I formatted only the primary partition C and now the laptop is running...