Windows 10: system restore and imaging.

Discus and support system restore and imaging. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello I have a one T external drive I image to and it recently showed that 2 - 23 or 30 GB images were filling the drive. A friend, using Treesize,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by maranna, Aug 19, 2015.

1. maranna Win User

system restore and imaging.

Hello
    I have a one T external drive I image to and it recently showed that 2 - 23 or 30 GB images were filling the drive. A friend, using Treesize, explained that this is due to the restore points taking up space. I changed the scale from 2% to 1 and then created one point. There were about 5 or 6 points.
    Can you suggest a system to have the point or points for retrieval use yet be able to image so that lot of them are not included?
    Is it as easy as creating one before imaging and deleting the rest?
    It was hard to believe that 5 or 6 points took up all that room on my external drive so that I could only use 2 images.
    6x's 30 = 180 and the other two = 240 GB total. I have about 900 GB on the drive so it still does not add up.
    Thank you

:)

maranna, Aug 19, 2015

2. Restore System Image

Hi Lahuerta, I am Rob (age 71 so I hope I understand being a senior) a volunteer, and a 10 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting.

System Image backs up everything on the drive - Windows, programs, files, and all.

To restore a System Image you need to boot from a Windows Installation Disk or USB which you can make (see below). Boot and on lower right click "Next"- then on lower left click "Repair your computer" - click "Troubleshoot" - click "System Image Recovery".

Additional help :

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

How to Create a Windows 10 System Image Backup

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows...

-----

A much easier to use free program :

Macrium Reflect - Free - on this page click "Home" to download.

It also allows you to make Rescue Media

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

Create a Windows 10 System Image using the Best Free Alternatives

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Lahuerta Win User
    Restore System Image

First of all, I am a 68 yr old woman, trying restore the System Image (SI). But I have several questions. Here goes:

1. What exactly does the SI record during this operation?

2. Every file on that the designated drive?

3. I know on the desktop the Update Assistant icon is a short cut, but will SI record all the information located including Windows 10 Update Assistant files which resides on a different drive?

4. Problems stated after the SI, D drive does not have enough space. So looked to increase the D drive by taking gigs from A drive (a huge drive) but no instructions that could provide info for what I wanted to do. So I tried to backup drive D on a
    one-T external drive. That just didn't work at all. (Anybody laughing yet?) Continuing to get warning of low disc space. Another idea popped into my head, why not just delete everything on the bloody D thing, but moving some personal
    files to the one drive. I thought this would provide more space. It didn't. Maybe the best solution is to backup the other two drives and choose the first option to restore SI which is to reformat and partition the hard drive. But then I will loose info
    Win 7 located in Update Assistant.

5. What drivers will I need to facilitate the restore? (the file: System 32 pops up to provide selection, yet there are so many to choose from.)

As you have read (without trying not to laugh) I have been very creative and can't seem to get from point A to point B. So at this point I basically need a step by step formula/tutorial. Can Anyone help an old lady cross that big divide in my laptop? By
    the way, it is Win 10 Pro 64-bit and no touch screen, if that helps. I'm not going to have much space or time left if I can't get this resolved. Hope to hear or read from you soon. Thanks so very much. (I don't mind if you laughed.)

Lahuerta, Aug 19, 2015
  4. maranna Win User

I used the app Treesize which showed the recycle bin in each eternal drive was taking up the room. I did not know there was one. By highlighting the drive and clicking on Window's recycle bin it emptied the external drive's trash and all is well.

maranna, Sep 3, 2015
Thema:

1. system restore and imaging. - Similar Threads - system restore imaging

2. System image fails to restore image.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System image fails to restore image.: I am trying to restore a system image on my computer but I cannot understand why it keeps failing. Previously I had no problems in restoring a system image. The following error message is displayed instead: “The system image restore failed.Windows cannot restore a system...
  3. System Image Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image Restore: I am trying to restore a System Image created two weeks ago on an external hdd and everything seems to go well until it begins the restore process at which point I get an error stating the operating systems are different BIOS vs EFI. How do I correct this so that I can use...
  4. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  5. System restore and system image

System restore and system image: So I regularly create backups on my computer using the windows 7 restore tool from the control panel. There comes an option for creating the system image for drive C which is an SSD. I have heard that if the windows goes corrupt or is accidentally reset I can restore the...
  6. System image restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System image restore?: Hi everyone, I hope you'll be able to help me. I have a win 10 PC and a NAS, and I've made backups of it, both in the "file history backup" and with "advanced backup from win 7". I wasn't quite sure which one was the best, so I just did both. My pc went in for repairs...
  7. restoring a system image

restoring a system image: how do i restore a system image in windows 10 which is from a previous release of windows 10 using the system repair disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-a-system-image/89bdc83a-e7f5-4964-be07-26faba859f22
  8. System Restore image ?????

System Restore image ?????: I have just installed windows 10 home instead of the pro version which I installed by mistake then I restored my system image and everything was perfect as before !...….however on closer inspection I discovered windows 10 pro had be installed again !!!!! arrrrrrrrgh...
  9. System Image not Restoring.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...
  10. Restore System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore System Image: I familiar with restoring a back up image from an external USB HD. My question is, what is the correct procedure for restoring a system image from an incremental or differential back up image. Would I restore the first saved image and then the last incremental or differential...