Windows 10: System restore broke everything

Discus and support System restore broke everything in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After doing some things and installing things I no longer needed I decided to restore to a point I created manually before doing the things. The system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DarkAlpha_Sete, Apr 4, 2020.

1. System restore broke everything

After doing some things and installing things I no longer needed I decided to restore to a point I created manually before doing the things. The system was working fine but I decided to give this system restore a try.

After waiting for hours it finally finished... Everything is fucking broken. First thing I noticed was that Windows Defender had been deactivated and giving some error about administration. After searching it appears a simple registry change would be enough.

Try to run CMD as admin to do it with a command, CMD doesn't open as admin. Oh, NOTHING can be run as an admin, it shows the desktop as if the dialog with Yes or No would be shown, but shows nothing and errors out. Regedit? File doesn't exist.

I go to safe mode, sfc says it couldn't fix some errors. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth says the source image couldn't be found.

I mean, I'm going to have to reinstall this and it's not the end of the world for me, but why the fuck does a restore utility fuck everything up? It gave no errors during the procedure and just leaves me with a broken OS.

Guess this ended up as a rant lol.

submitted by /u/DarkAlpha_Sete
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DarkAlpha_Sete, Apr 4, 2020

2. System Restore Error 0x81000203

Good day,

We can see here that you are having issues performing system restore on your computer. Having said that, we need to determine the cause of this problem. Before we proceed, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to perform system restore? If so, can you send us a screenshot?
      Note: Please do not include any personal information.
    • Have you performed all the suggested troubleshooting steps found on this thread?

Desiree Yau, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Missing icons / buttons after System Restore

Hi Terrie,

To address your concern, we suggest that you try to undo the restore or pick another restore point.

Please follow these steps to access system restore:

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Apr 4, 2020
  4. jellyroll Win User

System restore broke everything

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CSystem restore broke everything :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CSystem restore broke everything :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

System restore broke everything

1. System restore broke everything - Similar Threads - System restore broke

2. System Broke - SOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Broke - SOS: A while ago I was installing Puppy Linux on my Windows XP, but eventually I wanted to delete it, so I deleted “menu.last” and the OS files, but turns out that was a wrong delete. It eventually became so that I think the only solution is to format the system again I don’t have...
  3. System Broke - SOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Broke - SOS: A while ago I was installing Puppy Linux on my Windows XP, but eventually I wanted to delete it, so I deleted “menu.last” and the OS files, but turns out that was a wrong delete. It eventually became so that I think the only solution is to format the system again I don’t have...
  4. Accidentally broke everything, need help ASAP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally broke everything, need help ASAP: So basically, I was trying to install Arch Linux alongside Windows I was being REALLY REALLY Really stupid, saw a seemingly useless 15GB recovery partition, and was like "hey, I can use this for Arch" because I didn't wanna cut into my main partition's storage as it was...
  5. System Restore broke all of my downloaded apps; audio is broken still

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore broke all of my downloaded apps; audio is broken still: After a series of Windows 10 updates last week, I started having audio issues - I would get 'cannot find your microphone' messages on Zoom and then audio would be cut. I did a system restore (has always been a go-to fix) and when my computer rebooted, I couldn't open any of...
  6. Restore/Remove Everything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore/Remove Everything: Restore/Remove Everything doesn't work. I go through the process, taking some minutes to run, and end with a message that says windows was unable to perform the function. I've removed things like anti-viurs and other things that I though might be blocking the process, but...
  7. Network Adapter Reset broke everything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Adapter Reset broke everything: My girlfriend's ASUS laptop was having trouble connecting to wifi. After trying a few things first, she ran Network Reset as a last ditch effort. This completely broke everything. I can't type anything into Cortana. I can't open settings (I just see the giant blue screen with...
  8. I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work.: I bought a brand new laptop and recieved it on Friday January 26th. It's a Lenovo L340. The touchpad was awful to use, so I followed the advice from someone who'd bought the same laptop, and installed Windows Precision tocuhpad drivers. That completely broke the touchpad...
  9. Windows update broke everything - yet again!!!!!

Windows update broke everything - yet again!!!!!: I'm sick and f*cking tired of your Windows 10 updates! Get your **** together Microsoft. One day you break sound... The next day you break the Start Menu so that whenever the Start Menu is open my keyboard no longer works!! I'm SICK AND TIRED OF IT!!!! Leave my machine...
  10. system restore broke computer

system restore broke computer: I used system restore and now my computer wont boot. Im on failed automatic repair. Other restore points fail. I even get an error on restting the PC. I have an omen desktop with Windows ten, only a couple years old. No recent changes to the pc other than accidentally...