Windows 10: system restore could not access an file

Discus and support system restore could not access an file in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to undo the mess I do and go back to a point in time but can't [IMG] what to do? much ado about nothing no? I already turned off all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Max Pen, May 18, 2018.

1. Max Pen Win User

system restore could not access an file

I'm trying to undo the mess I do and go back to a point in time but can't

system restore could not access an file [​IMG]

what to do? much ado about nothing no? I already turned off all my anti virus and firewall no luck

:)

Max Pen, May 18, 2018
  2. Rudolfos0 Win User

Can't do System Restore (failed to extract the file, 0x80070301)

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system and settings were not changed.

Details:

System restore failed to extract the file (C:\Windows\Installer) from the restore point.

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8007301)

Things I have tried:

• Uninstalled antivirus completely, disabled windows firewall
    • ran sfc /scannow - no errors found
    • couldn't access windows restore from safe mode..
    • different restore points
    • restarting VSS service ( it's set on automatic)
    I have used tweaking.com reset file permissions few months ago, and windows somehow thinks I'm using built in administrator account, so I can't launch any store apps and settings.. Could that be the problem ?

I also added all possible permissions to Windows/Installer folder..

Rudolfos0, May 18, 2018
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    lost system restore point

Two things that could pertain to this. First, older System Restore points do roll off the end of the list when the drive space allocated to system restore has been used up and new restore points are being created.

The second point is that system restore points are sometimes deleted when significant operating system updates include changes that are incompatible with files stored in those old restore point(s).

I'm presuming that you did tick the box in System Restore that says "show more restore points".

Ralf_G, May 18, 2018
Thema:

system restore could not access an file

1. system restore could not access an file - Similar Threads - system restore access

2. System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored: Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a Windows 10 system volume is cloned or recovered, that user will be oblivious. System recovery files will apparently not...
  3. System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored

in Windows 10 Support
    System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored: Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a Windows 10 system volume is cloned or recovered, that user will be oblivious. System recovery files will apparently not...
  4. system restore not accessible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore not accessible: Hello, Windows Ver 2004 I think System Restore was disabled using a McAfee product my internet provider gives us access to with our subscription. I think because I found registry keys with a McAfee tag that looked like it was disabling SR. I also found I think are...
  5. System Restore and Corrupt FIles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Restore and Corrupt FIles: My current installation has corrupt files in it but i’d like to keep everything that i currently have as with my connection it would take weeks to obtain everything again. I can’t restore them with SFC or DSIM as those have failed (1903) Would a clean installation of 2004...
  6. Windows 10 System Restore stuck at Restoring files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 System Restore stuck at Restoring files: Hello, My windows 10 laptop has been on system restore since about an hour and is still on "Restoring files..." Earlier it never took this long, what should I do? submitted by /u/maitreyapatni29 [link] [comments]...
  7. File System restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File System restore: Have new PC. Made mistake of syncing with old PC. This really messed up my file system by importing the old PC file system to new PC. Now I can't find anything in my file system structure. What should I do?F...
  8. Protect system restore files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Protect system restore files: After Microsoft's latest forced update, 1903, I discovered that all my previous system restore files had been wiped out. Is there any way of hiding, or protecting, or backing up system restore files? 136886
  9. No access to restored files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No access to restored files: I had to replace my Surface Book under warranty with a exact same PC. I did a back up. When I did a restore I now dont have access to my local files (downloads, video, pictures folder etc) . Luckly my main files (from OneDrive) restored just fine but took HOURS to download...
  10. Advanced system restore and restore file locations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Advanced system restore and restore file locations: I'm using windows 10 pro and am trying to get restore locations moved from and old drive to a new drive. I'm trying to figure out what folders and files I need to move and where to move them so I can have the restore points show when I open system recovery. Creating a system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system restore cant extract the file

2. system restore not working with onedrive installed

3. system restore could not restore user folder

4. system restore failed to extract the file (C:\users\onedrive),
  5. system restore error could not access file