Windows 10: System restore did not complete successfully

Discus and support System restore did not complete successfully in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptop Windows 10 is stuck in automatic repair cycle. Ive tried everything i could find. Bootrec.exe/fixboot did not work access denied. Tried a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AoibhellX, Apr 16, 2020.

1. AoibhellX Win User

System restore did not complete successfully

My laptop Windows 10 is stuck in automatic repair cycle. Ive tried everything i could find. Bootrec.exe/fixboot did not work access denied. Tried a few fixes for that that did not work. Tried system restore to a couple of days ago 4/12 was the earliest date available. Got an anrror that the system restore did not complete successfully:

System Restore failed to extract the file:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-m..namespace-downlevel_31bf3856 from the restore point.

An unspecified error occured during System Restore. 0x80070 1b 1

I dont know what else to try. Im trying to save 2 very important files that were not backed up prior to the computer crashing.

:)

AoibhellX, Apr 16, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

System Restore did not complete successfully.

@Stevekir
    You might want to try:
    1. Click on Start button (1). Hold down SHIFT KEY+Click On Power (2) then click on Restart(3)

System restore did not complete successfully [​IMG]
    2. The PC will reboot and get into the Recovery Environment
    3. Click on Trouble Shoot->Advanced Options->System Restore.

System restore did not complete successfully [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 16, 2020
  3. The-Hat Win User
    Windows 7 w/SP1 System Restore did not complete successfully

First I'm running Windows 7 with SP1. I have a situation where I'm unable to do a System Restore successfully. Each time I run System Restore and it tell me it did not complete successfully, it also indicates "An unspecified error occurred during System
    Restore. (0x80070005)

To begin I was having a problem with my Pinnacle StudioHD Ultimate Version 15 so I created a Restore point before I began any attempt to correct the problem. This has always been my course of action just in case something went wrong I wanted to get
    back to a workable system. After creating the restore point I opened The Control Panel and selected Uninstall a program the selected Repair. After running the repair operation the program seemed to be running correctly so I shut the computer down until the
    following day. After starting the computer the next day and opening the application, the problem had returned plus additional problems had surfaced. That is when I attempted a System Restore and it failed.

Before using the steps below I chose 3 different restore points to no avail. I then used the following steps and I still have not been able to complete the System Restore successfully.

1. Temporarily disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and unsuccessfully ran System Restore.
    2. Checked the System Protection settings by clicking Start>Right-click on Computer>Click Properties>click System Protection to make sure the Protection column value for the "C"-Drive was set to On. Unsuccessfully ran System Restore again
    3. Rebooted the computer again using the "Clean Boot" strategy, ran System Restore again to an unsuccessful conclusion.
    4. Restarted the computer again this time booting into "Safe Mode", and ran unsuccessfully ran System Restore.
    5. Booted into Windows again, clicked on Start and typed command prompt in the search box to open Command Prompt. Once open I clicked on "Run as administrator. When the Command Prompt loaded I typed sfc /scannow and pressed Enter to run the System File
      Checker. After sfc completed the process and indicated Windows Resource Protection found were no corrupt files, I ran System Restore again and it still did not complete successfully.
    Can anyone tell me what other steps to take to once again be able to successfully complete a System Restore.?

The-Hat, Apr 16, 2020
  4. System restore did not complete successfully

System Restore did not complete successfully.

I have somewhat the same problem, except that my AV is Windows Defender.
    I have a program that will not run and their support system suggested a restore point. However, when I tried to use an existing restore point, after it finished, I received an error message stating that System restore did not complete because an AV program was probably running. I turned off Windows Defender and tried another System restore, only to receive the same error message. Any suggestions?

Bob Hennessy, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

System restore did not complete successfully

1. System restore did not complete successfully - Similar Threads - System restore did

2. system restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system restore did not complete successfully.: Yesterday while I was trying to do the instructions an independent advisor I tried to do a system restore from my one recovery or restore point it sayed '' system restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed Details :...
  3. system restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore did not complete successfully.: Yesterday while I was trying to do the instructions an independent advisor I tried to do a system restore from my one recovery or restore point it sayed '' system restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed Details :...
  4. system restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore did not complete successfully: Alright to start off i have attempted to restore my windows 11 computer to an earlier point 3 times to fail each time. As to why doesnt matter. Here is what the pc tells me after each attempt.Anyways please help me, this is the second time ive opened up a question on this,...
  6. System Restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore did not complete successfully: Alright to start off i have attempted to restore my windows 11 computer to an earlier point 3 times to fail each time. As to why doesnt matter. Here is what the pc tells me after each attempt.Anyways please help me, this is the second time ive opened up a question on this,...
  7. system restore did not complete successfully

system restore did not complete successfully: system restore did not complete successfully. your computer's system files and settings were not changed. "system restore could not access a file" there is already a thread with this problem dating back to win 7, but it is locked. i'm using the most recent update to win...
  8. System restore did not complete successfully error 0x80070005

System restore did not complete successfully error 0x80070005: I am using windows 10 Pro Ver 1803 OS build 17134.112 Yesterday I tried to use System Restore to revert to a previous restore point. The process failed delivering this message: System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were...
  9. System Restore did not complete successfully...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore did not complete successfully...: Getting the following error message when trying to do System Restore on a clean install of Windows 10 with the Creator's Update (Version 1803)... After running System Restore the system displays the following message at the desktop after logging in: System Restore could not...
  10. System Restore did not complete successfully.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore did not complete successfully.: To confirm that the Restore Points system was working I created a new restore point and used System Restore to "go back" to it. I got the message in the attachment. I then tried to go back to one about 5 days ago with the same result. In past years I have a couple of times...