Windows 10: System Restore did not complete sucessfully

Discus and support System Restore did not complete sucessfully in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Networking suddenly quit on my HP Win 10 laptop. Worked fine then the next morning it didn't. Connects to the wi-fi, logs in ok, but tells me it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jaksps, Nov 7, 2019.

1. jaksps Win User

System Restore did not complete sucessfully

Networking suddenly quit on my HP Win 10 laptop. Worked fine then the next morning it didn't. Connects to the wi-fi, logs in ok, but tells me it cannot access the internet. My Win 7 machine still connects to the internet as does my Android phone so I suspect the LAN is ok. After much network putzing around...

I decided to do a System Restore back to before the last Microsoft update. After an hour of the disk rattling around I get the message:

"System Restore did not complete successfully... System Restore could not access a file. Probably because an anti-virus programming is running... An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0x80070005)"

So I disable the virus scanner, let it run another hour and get the same message. It would really be helpful if it told me what file so I could investigate.

So I tried restoring to an even earlier date. Same result. What good is System Restore if it won't ... restore?

Is there anything else I should try before doing an entire reinstall?

(I see a bunch of posts about maybe this error number is caused by insufficient permissions in some unknown user file. No clue how to fix that. Is there any way to tell Win 10 the whole $#@* machine has admin level permissions? Set it to Win98 level security while it does the System Recovery? It's a constant irritation that Microsoft tells me I cannot change something on my own computer.)

Thanks.

:)

jaksps, Nov 7, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

System restore will not complete

Hi, what exactly do you believe you've done? Clearing the cache should have no consequences, and is sometimes a fault-finding step. How did you do that?

Or do you mean you deleted a folder?

However
    - this suggests something more serious is wrong. Could you post the exact message?

If you don't have a disk image you can restore (we constantly urge users to use disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free)) then try from an admin command prompt
    SFC /SCANNOW
    which might restore the missing file, depending on what it is.

Post back the result.

If it is successful, try System Restore again.

dalchina, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Failed to complete System Restore

Hello Passegua,

The error code 0x80070005 may indicate a few things that are causing System Restore Failure. It could be corrupted system files, conflict with other programs such as Anti-virus protection, and etc. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest
    that you perform System restore in Safe Mode. Kindly refer to this link for more information and steps.

Another step that I can suggest is Clean Boot, if the above step fails.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Nov 7, 2019
  4. System Restore did not complete sucessfully

System Restore did not complete successfully.

I have somewhat the same problem, except that my AV is Windows Defender.
    I have a program that will not run and their support system suggested a restore point. However, when I tried to use an existing restore point, after it finished, I received an error message stating that System restore did not complete because an AV program was probably running. I turned off Windows Defender and tried another System restore, only to receive the same error message. Any suggestions?

Bob Hennessy, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

System Restore did not complete sucessfully

1. System Restore did not complete sucessfully - Similar Threads - System Restore did

2. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore did not complete: error message says it could not access a file. Error 0x80070005. What is that and how do i fix it. Hopefully an automatic fix by Windows 10 itself? Thank You...
  3. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore did not complete: error message says it could not access a file. Error 0x80070005. What is that and how do i fix it. Hopefully an automatic fix by Windows 10 itself? Thank You...
  4. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. did system restore as I could no longer type in search bar says completed sucessfully but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did system restore as I could no longer type in search bar says completed sucessfully but...: did system restore as I could no longer type in search bar says completed sucessfully but now every page says cannot open wondows 10 what a frigging mess they should have stayed with 7...
  6. did system restore as I could no longer type in search bar says completed sucessfully but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did system restore as I could no longer type in search bar says completed sucessfully but...: did system restore as I could no longer type in search bar says completed sucessfully but now every page says cannot open wondows 10 what a frigging mess they should have stayed with 7...
  7. did system restore as I could no longer type in search bar says completed sucessfully but...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. System restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore did not complete successfully: My laptop Windows 10 is stuck in automatic repair cycle. Ive tried everything i could find. Bootrec.exe/fixboot did not work access denied. Tried a few fixes for that that did not work. Tried system restore to a couple of days ago 4/12 was the earliest date available. Got an...
  9. system restore did not complete successfully

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore did not complete successfully: system restore did not complete successfully. your computer's system files and settings were not changed. "system restore could not access a file" there is already a thread with this problem dating back to win 7, but it is locked. i'm using the most recent update to win...
  10. System Restore did not complete successfully...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore did not complete successfully...: Getting the following error message when trying to do System Restore on a clean install of Windows 10 with the Creator's Update (Version 1803)... After running System Restore the system displays the following message at the desktop after logging in: System Restore could not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SYSTEM RESTORE COULD NOT START