Windows 10: System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored

Discus and support System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hake, Aug 21, 2021.

1. hake Win User

System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored

Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a Windows 10 system volume is cloned or recovered, that user will be oblivious. System recovery files will apparently not subsequently be created unless the user intervenes to re-enable System recovery. This behaviour is absent from Windows 8.1.

:)

2. Mcd73165 Win User

Hi. I noticed this also if I restore with Macrium Reflect as an example all System Restore points are wiped out. Then I just manually create a new restore point.

Mcd73165, Aug 21, 2021
  3. Bree Win User

If you are using the Microsoft built in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' to create and restore a system image then yes, this behaviour is intentional. In addition to leaving out the restore points, you'll also find that the Update History in Settings > Windows Update has been cleared (installed updates are still listed in Control Panel though).

But you shouldn't still be using the MS system imaging, it was deprecated four years ago with MS recommending you use something else.

Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Third party imaging solution like Macrium Reflect will also leave out system restore points by default, though a forensic sector-by-sector image/clone will copy them.

4. hake Win User

Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a Windows 10 system volume is cloned or recovered, that user will be oblivious. System recovery files will apparently not subsequently be created unless the user intervenes to re-enable System recovery.

This behaviour is absent from Windows 8.1.

Thema:

1. System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored - Similar Threads - System Restore files

2. System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored

in Windows 10 Support
    System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored: Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a Windows 10 system volume is cloned or recovered, that user will be oblivious. System recovery files will apparently not...
  3. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  4. System Restore Points Disappear

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Points Disappear: I am on Win 10 64 V 20043. On my Lenovo laptop I recently had a major problem with no Audio suddenly-Synaptics Audio. I did get it fixed on 17 December and promptly created a System restore point. I also did another Restore point a few days later. The dreaded Audio...
  5. System Restore Points disappeared

System Restore Points disappeared: I reinstalled Windows 10, and Configured System Restore to "Turn on system protection," and set Max Usage to 260 GB. Then I created a System Restore Point after each installation of software Chrome, Office, Zoom, Deluge. I shut down and restarted Windows. I periodically...
  6. System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]

System Restore Point Disappeared [Solved]: System Restore Point Disappeared after a few hours of creating it. After a thorough investigation, I found it was the Carbonite cloud backup program actually its service that was responsible for that. Disabling the service or uninstalling the program resolved the issue....
  7. System Restore Point Is Made Then Disappears

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore Point Is Made Then Disappears: I can make Restore Point and recheck it but it disappears in few minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-point-is-made-then-disappears/4fb8b3cb-f79b-4959-a17a-aea01b999756
  8. System restore points (all) disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore points (all) disappear: Hi everyone: New laptop. It seems for no reason i can find that all of my system restore point suddenly disappear daily and at no specific time. For no reason. I've even tried to task make automatically make restore points, i've stopped using clean up programs thinking that...
  9. File System restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File System restore: Have new PC. Made mistake of syncing with old PC. This really messed up my file system by importing the old PC file system to new PC. Now I can't find anything in my file system structure. What should I do?F...
  10. System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points

System Restore Disappeared, Its There But No Restore Points: My system restore points have disappeared, I am running windows 10 on a laptop with office 365 and I was trying to get my one drive to sign in. I went into the system restore and I purposely added restore points since I was doing some updates over the weekend and not one...