Windows 10: System Restore hung, now no mountable boot volume

Discus and support System Restore hung, now no mountable boot volume in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I was working on a Win 10 X64 Home PC for some friends and thought I'd try a System Restore. It started the restore ok then got to System Restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Ztruker, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Ztruker Win User

System Restore hung, now no mountable boot volume

I was working on a Win 10 X64 Home PC for some friends and thought I'd try a System Restore. It started the restore ok then got to System Restore initializi9ng and hung there for several hours. I finally had to drop power.

When I powered it back up the hard drive is no longer available. I get a unmountable boot device.
    DISKPART doesn't see it, Macrium Reflect doesn't see it.

What about EaseUS Partition Recovery? Might that work? Can I run it from Kyhi's WinPE disc?
    Any other alternatives to repair the partition table/MBR? TestDisk perhaps? @NavyLCDR?

:)

Ztruker, Jul 25, 2017

2. How to replace system disk (windows 10) (without having to backup mounted drive) ?

I thought I describe the setup in the first post but I will repeat it here:

I have a system disk (boot) that is C: - it has the usual stuff like documents. I have a second disk that I used a mounted volume instead of a driver letter when I set it up. This is making it difficult for window backup tool to clone the system disk. The
    method that I used to use was to 'backup' the system disk - install the bootable dvd and restore the system but since the mountable volume is being treated as a 'natural' directory the backup process wants a disk that is capable of holding all content. I suppose
    I could buy a bigger backup disk - do the full process and then delete all content under the mounted volume on restore. Alternatively unless windows 10 is keeping some aspect of the physical disk in the boot process (under linux uuid will change if you clone
    a disk but grub is smart enough to deal with that case) I could just use dd. Seems silly to have to use linux to clone a windows disk but from this thread it sounds like ms doesn't have a viable method to deal with this situation. I've noticed a few other
    bugs with mounted volumes under windows 10 so perhaps they are just plain broken under the new os ?

nobodyhometoday, Jul 25, 2017
  3. How do I find volume identifiers?

Mountvol gave me the following. These volume IDs don't look like any I've seen before or the previous values I saw in the BCD. Are they correct?

C:\Windows\system32>mountvol

Creates, deletes, or lists a volume mount point.

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path VolumeName

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /D

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /L

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /P

MOUNTVOL /R

MOUNTVOL /N

MOUNTVOL /E

path Specifies the existing NTFS directory where the mount

point will reside.

VolumeName Specifies the volume name that is the target of the mount

point.

/D Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory.

/L Lists the mounted volume name for the specified directory.

/P Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory,

dismounts the volume, and makes the volume not mountable.

You can make the volume mountable again by creating a volume

mount point.

/R Removes volume mount point directories and registry settings

for volumes that are no longer in the system.

/N Disables automatic mounting of new volumes.

/E Re-enables automatic mounting of new volumes.

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{2f45e22a-0000-0000-0000-100000000000}\

*** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{2f45e22a-0000-0000-008e-646e1d000000}\

E:\

\\?\Volume{2f45e22a-0000-0000-0000-80852e000000}\

F:\

\\?\Volume{2f45e22a-0000-0000-0000-602200000000}\

D:\

\\?\Volume{2f45e22a-0000-0000-0000-60570c000000}\

C:\

\\?\Volume{04655401-ecb9-11e7-bfa4-806e6f6e6963}\

O:\

David P. Vancouver, Jul 25, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Coincidentally, the drive may have failed.
    Boot into Setup (Bios) is the drive listed there? If not it has failed.
    If Diskpart does not see the drive, it most likely has failed.
    Download the ISO image for Seatools, burn the image to CD using IMGBurn or to a USB Flash Drive with SeaFlash, all available in my signature. Boot off of the newly created media, run the Short and Long tests on the HDD, if either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

spunk, Jul 25, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    SEatools passed okay.

I'm going to try EaseUS. Any other suggestions welcome.

Ztruker, Jul 25, 2017
  6. Ztruker Win User
    The reason the disk was not visible to any of the tools was because it was in RAID mode instead of AHCI. Once I put it in AHCI I could access it to run chkdsk (which fixed a few problems) and Macriums's Fix boot problems, but it wouldn't boot. I put it back to RAID then it booted but I was back to the BSOD. BSOD is not creating a dump even though it's setup to for small dumps.

I put it back to AHCI and am doing a Macrium image backup then I will wipe it an do a clean install in AHCI mode of Creator update, apply all updates then restore data.

Edit: All is well now. Install completed and activated, and it's in AHC, not RAID. All data in Windows.old. Will install updates tomorrow, restore data and return the PC to owners.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore hung, now no mountable boot volume - Similar Threads - System Restore hung

2. My system restore is on a something now.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system restore is on a something now.: My PC cant run System Restore PointIt said:System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.Details:System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.Source:...
  3. Stop code: un mountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop code: un mountable boot volume: My laptop is hp pavilion i5 12th gen windows 11 homeYesterday I got a system update and I clicked the option update and restart but I got this stop code problem It is appearing in loop like this stop code page and again loading page and stop code page.What should I do ,...
  4. Stop code: un mountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop code: un mountable boot volume: My laptop is hp pavilion i5 12th gen windows 11 homeYesterday I got a system update and I clicked the option update and restart but I got this stop code problem It is appearing in loop like this stop code page and again loading page and stop code page.What should I do ,...
  5. System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored: Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a Windows 10 system volume is cloned or recovered, that user will be oblivious. System recovery files will apparently not...
  6. System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored

in Windows 10 Support
    System Restore files disappear when system volume cloned or restored: Is this behaviour intentional by Microsoft? No information is presented as a warning so unless the user examines the System Restore feature after a Windows 10 system volume is cloned or recovered, that user will be oblivious. System recovery files will apparently not...
  7. System Restore after Crash, now unsolvable Boot Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore after Crash, now unsolvable Boot Loop: Dear community,unfortunately I have been having some trouble with my pc lately.After my Windows 10 PC didnt start out of nowhere, I tried to do a system restore, which didnt help.After trying this again, I am now caught in a boot loop in which I can not enter anything Safe...
  8. Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points: I notices that my "Volume Shadow Services"is set to "manual" mode. Is it suppose to be set to "automatic" mode? Could the fact that it it set to "manual" mode be the reason I'm loosing System Restore Points even though I have 95 GB of storage set aside for these SR points?...
  9. System restored will not boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restored will not boot: I restored a backup, now it will no boot. Tried all repair options I can find, no joy, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restored-will-not-boot/7fff9b58-55c0-4b21-91b4-b83c2d63124d
  10. System Restore stuck or hung up in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    System Restore stuck or hung up in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If System Restore stuck or hung up on Initializing restoring the Registry in Windows 10, then here’s what you need to do to get out of the mess. The first advice in case of System Restore taking a long time [...] This post System Restore stuck or hung up in...