Windows 10: System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

Discus and support System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Could someone please confirm that W10 shouldn't remove a desktop shortcut following a system restore because it was a user file. I added a desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dogfonos, Aug 14, 2020.

1. dogfonos Win User

System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

Could someone please confirm that W10 shouldn't remove a desktop shortcut following a system restore because it was a user file.

I added a desktop shortcut to a web page a couple of days ago and this morning carried out a system restore to restore my desktop PC configuration to a week previous. The desktop shortcut I added has disappeared during the restore process.

As I understand it, this shouldn't have happened. Maybe I misunderstand something?

I checked the desktop folder (using file explorer) and it's not there. I looked for hidden files too and the desktop shortcut I added two days ago is absent but when I search the desktop folder for this particular desktop shortcut, the search has record of it and presents the correct folder structure - it's just not there though. I noted that the desktop shortcut icon, found when I searched for the shortcut, appears to be greyed out - don't know if that's significant.

I appreciate that loss of one desktop shortcut file isn't a big deal in itself but for me, it's yet another nail in the coffin of W10 and a reason to investigate alternative OS's.

Sorry I can't give W10 version at present as I'm currently running Ubuntu but I can run W10 to check. Thanks in anticipation.

:)

dogfonos, Aug 14, 2020
  2. dogfonos Win User

Could someone please confirm that W10 shouldn't remove a desktop shortcut following a system restore because it was a user file.

I added a desktop shortcut to a web page a couple of days ago and this morning carried out a system restore to restore my desktop PC configuration to a week previous. The desktop shortcut I added has disappeared during the restore process.

As I understand it, this shouldn't have happened. Maybe I misunderstand something?

I checked the desktop folder (using file explorer) and it's not there. I looked for hidden files too and the desktop shortcut I added two days ago is absent but when I search the desktop folder for this particular desktop shortcut, the search has record of it and presents the correct folder structure - it's just not there though. I noted that the desktop shortcut icon, found when I searched for the shortcut, appears to be greyed out - don't know if that's significant.

I appreciate that loss of one desktop shortcut file isn't a big deal in itself but for me, it's yet another nail in the coffin of W10 and a reason to investigate alternative OS's.

Sorry I can't give W10 version at present as I'm currently running Ubuntu but I can run W10 to check. Thanks in anticipation.

dogfonos, Aug 14, 2020
  3. Kari Win User

The key can be found in your own words:

System Restore restores your Windows exactly as it was when restore point was created. All installed software, apps, settings, your personal files, everything will be restored exactly as they were when restore point was created.

If you created a desktop shortcut after the restore point you used was created, it is only natural that the shorcut will no longer be there.

In your case, Windows restore point has worked exactly as it should work, exactly as it is designed to work.

4. System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

Hi Kari, could the missing detail be that when using a restore point, anything new on the desktop is lost as the desktop contents are restored to the state saved at the restore point date?

W10 Tweaker, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

1. System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!? - Similar Threads - System Restore W10

2. How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to replace/remove Administrator on W10 system: Laptop Dell XPS 1330, i7, Windows 10 is transferred from Administrator ‘A’ to spouse in a divorce. All the data on the system are the work of spouse, but are shown as the property of ‘A’. Spouse creates Administrator ‘B’ account, logs in as such, also logging into ‘B’s...
  3. W10 desktop system gadgets,any?

W10 desktop system gadgets,any?: Hi guys. I want to monitor my PC system paramters like RAM,CPU freq/usage,GPU freq etc...via desktop gadget. I tried HWInfo gadget but it's gadget sucks. I have some old W7 system gadgets but I'm no sure if they are accurate with W10. I want it to run automatically when I...
  4. System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?

in Windows 10 Support
    System Restore in W10 - removes desktop shortcut?!?: Could someone please confirm that W10 shouldn't remove a desktop shortcut following a system restore because it was a user file. I added a desktop shortcut to a web page a couple of days ago and this morning carried out a system restore to restore my desktop PC configuration...
  5. Windows 10 - restore printer shortcut to desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - restore printer shortcut to desktop: I have an HP Envy 7640 printer and scanner. It stopped working so I deleted and reinstalled it using online software. I also deleted the shortcut on the home screen of my laptop but clearly shouldn't have as that hasn't been restored - I used to use it to open the scanner...
  6. Restore shortcuts to the desktop

Restore shortcuts to the desktop: I have lost the desktop displayed shortcut to an application. How do I restore the application shortcut to my desktop? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-shortcuts-to-the-desktop/fde96fcc-1954-4ffc-924f-aaa49d2912da
  7. System restore removed my Office

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore removed my Office: A Windows system restore removed my Microsoft office. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore-removed-my-office/c7023a6d-2dc3-4409-8469-1e920840a18c
  8. Can I have a desktop shortcut to W10 Forum?

in Browsers and Email
    Can I have a desktop shortcut to W10 Forum?: When I right click, there is no option to 'create shortcut' to put on desktop. It says 'copy shortcut', I clicked that, but nothing happens. How come 'create shortcut' for dsktp icon is not always there for different sites? 36543
  9. Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options: My PC came with a W8 system image. I generally do a restore to factory settings every few months to keep the PC running clean. Will I be able to do something similar with W10 once I complete the upgrade? If I wish to do that and maintain activation, will I only be able to...
  10. Is there a system restore feature in W10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is there a system restore feature in W10?: Today I somehow deleted an important folder from my desktop, and I am desperate to get it back? So is there a system restore feature in W10, if so where is it found, and would it restore my folder?*cry 104376