Windows 10: System Restore is a totally BROKEN option

Discus and support System Restore is a totally BROKEN option in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, after my notebook automatically gave me this month's disastrous updates and everything got messed up i decided to use the 'System Restore' point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Leftcj, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Leftcj Win User

System Restore is a totally BROKEN option

Hi,

after my notebook automatically gave me this month's disastrous updates and everything got messed up i decided to use the 'System Restore' point that was created just before the update. (the option to return to previous version of win10 had already passed after 12h, or probably it never existed).

So i tried this 3 whole times, 1 of them in safe mode, the whole process was taking uncountable hours, probably 3 hours, the 'restoration' had stuck at the point where the blue screen was saying:

''Please wait while your Microsoft files and settings are being restored

System restore is restoring the registry"

All times i was forced to use the power button to stop the process since it was not leading anywhere. Afterwards i scanned the affected programs which were none and tried to 'Undo' the System Restore just to check if it was the update's changes that couldn't get deleted or the 'System Restore' is just a frustrating broken option, made to waste your time, your battery and force you to abuse the power button to turn off the system and give you more problems.

And the process got stuck again, taking more than a hour although it had nothing to restore and no changes to 'Undo'. I had to stop it again.

What is going with this thing after all?? I have seen similar posts and no clear answer yet. If this option is not working on some machines then disable it or fix it...

:)

Leftcj, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Gino Des Win User

Windows is totally broken

Hi Fabio,

Are you able to reach the Advanced Startup Options or Windows recovery? After three failed reboot attempts, Windows goes into recovery mode. If you are able to reach the Windows recovery screen, let's try to restore your PC from a system restore point. Follow
    the steps below:

• Select Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot >
      Advanced Options > System Restore.

If you are not able to access System Restore from the recovery environment, we suggest that you use an installation media to restore your PC. If you do not have a Windows 10 installation USB or disc, you can download and create one from the

Microsoft software download website

To restore your PC using an installation media, refer to the Use installation media to restore your PC section in the following link:

Recovery options in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Oct 11, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

system restore won't restore

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to perform system restore by going to safe mode and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• In login screen at the bottom right corner select
      restart
      the system by press and hold Shift key.

• Under choose an option select Troubleshooting.

• Select advanced option.

• Select System restore and check if it helps.
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore is a totally BROKEN option - Similar Threads - System Restore totally

2. Does system restore fix broken themes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does system restore fix broken themes?: The answer is yes. I thought I might post this because there wasn't much info on how to fix broken themes. I played around with themes and noticed that a few apps on my desktop had set colors from the previous theme and wouldn't get fixed no matter how much I toiled with the...
  3. Does system restore fix broken themes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does system restore fix broken themes?: The answer is yes. I thought I might post this because there wasn't much info on how to fix broken themes. I played around with themes and noticed that a few apps on my desktop had set colors from the previous theme and wouldn't get fixed no matter how much I toiled with the...
  4. Total system crash..no recovery options work..except restore image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Total system crash..no recovery options work..except restore image: A few months ago my system started crashing, randomly, and badly.None of the system fixes worked, win couldn’t find system restore, only thing that worked was restore from image.Up dated all drivers, graphic, motherboard, the latest from the websites.Forth restore image...
  5. Total system crash..no recovery options work..except restore image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Total system crash..no recovery options work..except restore image: A few months ago my system started crashing, randomly, and badly.None of the system fixes worked, win couldn’t find system restore, only thing that worked was restore from image.Up dated all drivers, graphic, motherboard, the latest from the websites.Forth restore image...
  6. system restore option-

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore option-: Hello, I have done system restore from current image several times & while it seems to be running better now, it's definetly not at optimal use. Every time you restore to a previous state via system restore, trace amounts of previous updates are still deep in the system...
  7. Sandbox totally broken

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandbox totally broken: So I wanted to test the Windows 10 Sandbox, which finally was "fixed" with KB4512941, so you can finally at leat open it. So... opening works now, and I get this: - Permanent 10% svchost.exe usage in Sandbox: https://i.imgur.com/Mfk66Gb.png - Search doesnt work, clicking...
  8. Sandbox totally broken

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sandbox totally broken: So I wanted to test the Windows 10 Sandbox, which finally was "fixed" with KB4512941, so you can finally at leat open it. So... opening works now, and I get this: - Permanent 10% svchost.exe usage in Sandbox: https://i.imgur.com/Mfk66Gb.png - Search doesnt work, clicking...
  9. Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Upgrading to W10; System Restore Options: My PC came with a W8 system image. I generally do a restore to factory settings every few months to keep the PC running clean. Will I be able to do something similar with W10 once I complete the upgrade? If I wish to do that and maintain activation, will I only be able to...
  10. Restore options broken ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore options broken ?: When we upgraded Win 7 to Win 8, the restore/repair options, not restore points, were broken. Anyone know if the update to Win 10 carried over the problem. Just curious because I image my drives. 17903

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows broken and restore sistem

2. system restore installation broken