Windows 10: System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.

Discus and support System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Recently my computer crashed because while it was installing the May W10 update because I inadvertently turned off my computer during the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NormanRivers, Jun 9, 2020.

1. System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.

Hello,

Recently my computer crashed because while it was installing the May W10 update because I inadvertently turned off my computer during the install. When I restarted the computer it would not restart and I started a support case with MS:

Service Request #: 1502469020

The MS Tech was able to command my computer and fixed all of the problems by reinstalling the Windows update and now the computer is running great. There is one problem though, my System Restore is disabled and I cannot create or access any restore points. So I ran sfc /scannow and it could not repair them. I then ran sfc / verifyonly and it found file integrity violations. I then opened the CBS log and it is not looking good. There are just tons of failures in it and I was surprised by this because since the service request repair my computer has been running great and I would like to keep it running great but since SystemRestore is not working I can't create any restore points.

Do I need to start another service request to get this fixed? Or can someone recommend a repair sequence that might allow me to fix it myself? I have the CBS log file but I can't upload it here so someone can review it.

Thanks,

Norm

:)

NormanRivers, Jun 9, 2020

2. SFC scannow not working but verify only is working

there is no problem in chkdsk I've checked When I select command prompt and sfc scannow from f8 and repair.. it shows that a reboot is required for pending repair and pending renames folder in winsxs is full of files.. what should I do??

ELiTRiGG3R, Jun 16, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    sfc /scannow error repair

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate the efforts you have taken in trying to resolve this issue. I have analyzed the error logs that you have shared and I would suggest you follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command Prompt in the
      search bar
      on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, paste the following command and hit Enter:
      DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    4. Once the DISM command is executed, we would suggest you to run sfc /scannow again.

If the integrity violations are not repaired after running sfc scan, the best option will be performing a repair installation. A repair installation will repair all the corrupted files.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) and use it to perform a repair installation
    of Windows 10. We have a video that can show you how if you aren’t sure

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 16, 2020
  4. System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.

sfc /scannow "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

Hi,

Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service is an error which may occur if you are trying to run the System File Checker tool (SFC /SCANNOW) to scan and repair Windows system files. To resolve this error, we suggest that you follow the
    steps below:

• Press the Windows + R keys to open run command box.
    • In the run command box, type services.msc, and press
      Enter.
    • In the list of services, double click the Windows Modules Installer service.
    • Set the startup type to Auto, and click OK.
    • Restart your computer.
    • After the restart, you'll be able to run the sfc /scannow command without any problems.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it.

1. System Restore is disabled and sfc /scannow won't repair it. - Similar Threads - System Restore disabled

2. SFC /SCANNOW unable to repair some files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC /SCANNOW unable to repair some files: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."I've been trying to fix my AMD software, it will not install it had said to follow these possible steps to fix " https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603 " none of them have worked, I...
  3. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  4. sfc /scannow error repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    sfc /scannow error repair: Task bar icons suddenly stopped working (Start, action center, wifi, battery ) as well as ease of access keyboard Online discussions lead me to deliver sfc scannow action would solve it, I got the following list of errors 2019-10-07 01:17:23, Info CSI...
  5. SFC scannow and DISM can't repair MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC scannow and DISM can't repair MicrosoftEdgeSquare44x44: So I ran sfc scannow because I feel something odd about my windows, I have felt this since couple months ago. The result was "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". Below I attach my cbs log. I did run the sfc scannow couple times...
  6. Windows Update, Windows Search, disabled SFC /scannow does not repair

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update, Windows Search, disabled SFC /scannow does not repair: Windows update has become disabled and cannot be reenabled, So has Windows Search which can be reenabled but somehow shuts itself off. Errors occur in Outlook search. Repeatedly running sfc /scannow with Fast Startup disabled (10X) does not effect a repair. 6.22 mb CBS.log...
  7. Sfc/scannow error repair

Sfc/scannow error repair: Errors are reported which sfc cannot repair. I found some errors in the CBS.log. How do I tell if these are the (only) errors and how do I repair them? This is something of which I have no knowledge or experience. 2018-11-29 13:26:19, Info CSI 000046ef Error: Overlap:...
  8. Can't repair some files sfc scannow

Can't repair some files sfc scannow: Hi everyone, I installed Windows 10 today and after setting up everything, tweaking etc. I decided to re-overclock my GPU except I forgot what I used to have my core clock at so I accidentally pushed it a bit further than it could handle. Needless to say it crashed during...
  9. sfc/scannow cannot repair

sfc/scannow cannot repair: I'm experiencing an issue with a corrupt file "close.png". It's not causing any issues with my daily activities, that I'm aware of, but while attempting to fix another issue relating to message "updater crashed" I keep running into this file saying unfixable. I've ran...
  10. SFC /Scannow won't start

SFC /Scannow won't start: I tried to run SFC /Scannow but got the error message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". I saw on the web that this usually indicates that the Windows Module Installer and/or Trusted Installer is not running. The Windows Module Installer was...