Windows 10: System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc

Discus and support System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, New Windows 10 user here. Have Googled/Binged around and still a bit puzzled about this. So, System Restore is defaulted to "Off" in Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Elias01010, Apr 22, 2021.

1. System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc

Hi,

New Windows 10 user here.
    Have Googled/Binged around and still a bit puzzled about this.

So, System Restore is defaulted to "Off" in Windows 10. I understand some of the reasons for this, but still find it a useful tool.
    I left it like that, since it's still fresh and can basically just factory reset at this point

Restore settings mention "using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted faster than normal"

OK. I'm not sure how fast "normal" is meant to be...

My Windows 10 came with Dell's SupportAssist installed, which apparently has its own recovery tools. Using it to download/install a few drivers, I noticed it had enabled Windows' System Restore by itself and created some restore points there.
    This came in useful because SupportAssist's driver updates resulted in a BSOD every time! I'll be uninstalling it...

What set me wondering though, is I later noticed some errors in Event Viewer

"The shadow copies ... were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit"

So it's already full?

8.90GB was set aside and I've barely done anything besides customise my user account!

Installed nothing!!

I then checked and all my restore points had gone too
    This was strange because there haven't been any Windows - or even driver - updates in the meantime which is usually the reason against keeping old restore points, for compatibility etc..?

So I'm not getting shadow copies, and I'm not getting restore points...

What was more odd, was system restore was saying there were no restore points, but Current Usage showed 400-600MB in use.
    What is this being used for?

Are they all these functions competing for the same space?
    and is this space barely enough for more than 1 of them to work properly?

I don't really understand a great deal about system image backups, shadow copies, or restore points generally... I just know I should be backing up in some way.
    Ideally in a way I don't have to mircomanage...

So hopefully someone could explain

System Image Backup
    - I can just reset to factory settings / reinstall Windows can't I, if things got really bad?
    Are there any likely cases where I wouldn't be able to?
    Is there any advantage for the average Joe in making a separate recovery drive to boot from?

> When the above warning mentioned a drive with "system image backups" plural, what did it mean?
    Is Windows automatically making many new system images itself?
    Are they available to me?
    beyond the factory reset

Shadow copies
    - Where can I find these / how can I access them?
    As long as I'm backing up my files regularly, I should mostly be fine.
    But it would be nice to get back the *exact* content I lost in the event of a crash. So how do I do this?

System restore
    - I'd like to have something with this functionality, but not if it's preventing the above functions from working.
    And I'm not into backing up my whole system to another drive on a daily basis, that seems like a lot of hassle

So basically, what's the best practice for low-effort safeguarding in the event of a failure to boot / hijack / loss of data etc?
    I'm more confused than ever now

I haven't noticed the shadow copy error in the last few days, and a new restore point was created. But I don't expect either to last like this for long...

Thanks

:)

Elias01010, Apr 22, 2021

2. About deletion of Shadow Copy or System Restore in Windows 10

Hello,

Today I did a Disk Defragment on C: Drive in Windows 10. Before Defragmentation, I had 151GB/200GB, but after defragmentation now I have 147GB/200GB.

I searched on the internet and found that there might be some shadows copies done. Now according to a post in Microsoft Support, I was able to see that almost 3.57 GB is consumed by system restore. My question are :

1. Are System Restore and Shadow Copy same? Because both of them are consuming the same amount of space.
    2. If I delete a system restore point at this point (Currently, I only have the latest restore point after Defragmentation), will it create any other problems?
    3. Lastly, Are Shadow copies or the Windows Restore points automatically deleted?
    Thanks in advance.

MD.FAKHRUDDIN GAZZALI FAHIM, Apr 22, 2021
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    About deletion of Shadow Copy or System Restore in Windows 10

Are System Restore and Shadow Copy same? Yes plus shadows can be used by some Backup/System image programs. If you delete your System Restore its OK as long as everything seems working correctly - but should something go haywire you might
    need a system restore point to get windows back working.

You can open a command prompt(admin) and see your shadows;

Code:
    VssAdmin list shadows
    While there you can delete all shadows too

Code:
    VssAdmin delete shadows /all
    If you delete them, you might consider making a new fresh System Restore Point after running your defrag, then the shadow will be inserted after the end of the defraged files.

'Mike P, Apr 22, 2021
  4. System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc

Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Greg Carmack,

Many thanks. Followed your suggestions for System Restore and although the Win 10 menus are different I found that System Protection was already “On” Turned off, rebooted and turned back “On” and was able to create a Restore Point for first time
    in months.

Followed your suggestions on recovering the ability to create “Shadow Copy,” and create a backup my files was also successful. Had spent many hours following Microsoft Support instructions to no avail.

Again, many, many thanks.

Peter Schinkel, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc

1. System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc - Similar Threads - System restore mysteries

2. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service: Hi, whenever I try to create a new restore point, I get this error:There was an unexpected error in the property page:The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. 0x81000202I use Windows 10 Pro 21H2. All...
  3. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service: Hi, whenever I try to create a new restore point, I get this error:There was an unexpected error in the property page:The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. 0x81000202I use Windows 10 Pro 21H2. All...
  4. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Problem with VSS system restore and chkdsk on shadow copy fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with VSS system restore and chkdsk on shadow copy fails: Hello. Windows version is Windows 10 Professional 21H1 build 19043.1165 with latest updates. The volume is BitLocker encrypted. Yesterday just navigating through tabs on System Properties dialog, I occasionally found that System Restore fails to launch with error 0x81000203:...
  6. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  7. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Point and Shadow Copy: Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-and-shadow-copy/566c838a-0490-45a4-9490-3ee22a860661
  8. how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?: Well, i have been using 10 for about 1 week now but why still no shadow copies? And i cannot find system restore. Where isit now? By the way isit safe to delete all files in softwaredistribution now like in previous window? 56045
  9. Restore and Shadow Copy

Restore and Shadow Copy: What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently. 56132
  10. System Restore Error 0x81000203 - can't create shadow copies

System Restore Error 0x81000203 - can't create shadow copies: Please help me to diagnose and fix my VSS errors. Symptoms include: When visiting the System Protection tab in System Properties, I get the error message: "There was an unexpected error in the property page. System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System...