Windows 10: System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

Discus and support System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all,I can imagine you know where this question is going, but I'm slightly panicking right now. I accidentally deleted wow6432 in my registry, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jrichards0511, Jun 23, 2022.

1. System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

Hi all,I can imagine you know where this question is going, but I'm slightly panicking right now. I accidentally deleted wow6432 in my registry, and now my boot screen seems to automatically BSOD after showing the HP logo.Thankfully I was able to boot into f8 menu, but it said something along the lines of "no system restore points found", although I just created one about a week ago, and I have multiple others before then. Can anyone help me successfully restore/repair to fix the wow6432 deletion, please?Running a Windows 10 HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0068, if that helps at all.

:)

jrichards0511, Jun 23, 2022
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CSystem restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432 :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CSystem restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432 :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Jun 23, 2022
  3. Bree Win User

I know of no easier way to delete them, so here are the instructions.

Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

A System Image restore point is describe as type 'Backup'.

System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432 [​IMG]

First, go to Settings > Backup & Restore > Recovery and select the 'Restart now' button in Advanced Start-up.

When you get Advanced Start-up, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

You will be asked to choose an administrator account and supply it's password, then the Command Prompt will open.

Type the commands DISKPART then LIST VOL and EXIT to see a list of all drives, in this example the Windows system is on the C: drive, yours may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive, in this example I typed C:

Then use the CD (change directory) command CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

Youn can now close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

All System Image Restore points of type 'Backup' will now have gone.

4. jellyroll Win User

System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Jun 23, 2022
Thema:

System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

1. System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432 - Similar Threads - System restore detecting

2. System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432: Hi all,I can imagine you know where this question is going, but I'm slightly panicking right now. I accidentally deleted wow6432 in my registry, and now my boot screen seems to automatically BSOD after showing the HP logo.Thankfully I was able to boot into f8 menu, but it...
  3. System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore not detecting backups after deleting WOW6432: Hi all,I can imagine you know where this question is going, but I'm slightly panicking right now. I accidentally deleted wow6432 in my registry, and now my boot screen seems to automatically BSOD after showing the HP logo.Thankfully I was able to boot into f8 menu, but it...
  4. Bluetooth not detecting devices after system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth not detecting devices after system restore: Running Windows 10, just did a full system restore and everything seems AWESOME...however - cannot connect anything Bluetooth to my pc - i.e. headsets or speakers.Troubleshooting done so far:- Bluetooth troubleshooter - no issues- removed drivers, updated drivers in device...
  5. Bluetooth not detecting devices after system restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth not detecting devices after system restore: Running Windows 10, just did a full system restore and everything seems AWESOME...however - cannot connect anything Bluetooth to my pc - i.e. headsets or speakers.Troubleshooting done so far:- Bluetooth troubleshooter - no issues- removed drivers, updated drivers in device...
  6. Bluetooth not detecting devices after system restore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore personal files after system restore when “backup” doesn’t recognize backup...: My Windows 10 had some issues and i had to restore windows, effectively resetting my computer. I have a backup external HD, that I backup my personal files. After doing all the necessary windows updates, I tried the backup for my personal files but the backup in system...
  8. GPU not detected after system restore please help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPU not detected after system restore please help!: Ok so 2 days ago i started troubleshooting GPU issues i was having which seemed to be software and/or driver related. These issues are nothing new I've pretty much been experiencing them on and off since i got the card. However this time I kinda went overboard and fell down...
  9. Application getting deleted after System restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Application getting deleted after System restore: I have an app we created with a folder and executable file. Every time I run system restore to an earlier date it removes them. How can I prevent this? Is there any cmd instructions to tell restore not to remove that folder or a white list for system restore? Please help!...
  10. Win10 System Image Restore unable to detect backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win10 System Image Restore unable to detect backup: Good Afternoon, I have been having a bit of difficulty with restoring a Windows System Image backup from my external Hard Drive. While it wrote to the hard drive fine, the windows doesn't seem like it wants to detect it in order to restore. So far I have tried using another...