Windows 10: System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled

Discus and support System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TraceyW, Aug 8, 2015.

1. TraceyW Win User

System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled

Hi

Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet.

As you can see from the attached graphic, I can access the System Restore panel but System Restore for the Windows drive is turned off (orange box) and the means of restoring to an earlier restore point as well as Create are greyed out. The ONLY thing the window allows me to do is to go to the Configure panel. When I get there I find that System Protection is disabled and I cannot turn it on. However, my system IS using some space (blue box) although I have a sneaky suspicion that has not changed since I installed W10.

My question therefore is really: how do I enable System Restore? I am sincerely hoping that someone has a possible solution to this and any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Tracey

PS After writing the above I did a search in the registry for System Restore but there were only about six or seven references. I also had a quick look at Services and noticed that VSS was stopped. Following a search which revealed that System Restore might depend on it I started it. I then signed out and then back in again but I still can't get System Restore enabled.

:)

TraceyW, Aug 8, 2015
  2. Yuri Nathan, Aug 8, 2015
  3. PB1965 Win User
    How do I permanantly disable BITS (Background Intelligent Trasfer Service)?

Hi Jesinta,

Your suggestion does disable BITS but not permanently. I have been doing this for a few weeks but every now and then BITS randomly re-enables itself without me realising it. I am on a metered broadband connection and cannot afford for Microsoft to be using
    my data allowance in this way.

Is there a way to PERMANENTLY disable BITS please?

PB1965, Aug 8, 2015
  4. System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled

Are you signed in as Administrator ?

COMPUTIAC Guest, Aug 8, 2015
  5. TraceyW Win User
    As far as I am aware - or are you talking about the built-in administrator account. If are talking about that then no I'm not.

Tracey

PS: Something I didn't say in my initial post is that I have Windows 10 Home

TraceyW, Aug 8, 2015
  6. everklier Win User
    I was having the same problem, and after looking around I found your post. I was having the same issue, as I wanted to go back to a earlier restore point, but couldn't fine any. After reading your post, I was playing around and I found out how to turn it on.

Go back to the system properties screen as shown in your post.

Click on the drive that you want protection on, then click on configure.
    Under restore settings, click on “turn on system protection.
    Then below that, adjust the disk space usage.
    You should now be able to create a restore point.

everklier, Aug 13, 2015
  7. jakamon Win User
    You miss the point - the option to "turn on system protection" is NOT available, it is GRAYED OUT, and can NOT be checked.
    The question is HOW to make it an active option on the configure page (so I CAN check the option).
    I have the same problem - just upgraded to windows 10 (nightmare in itself), and yes, I have used GPEDIT.MSC to edit group controls to DISABLE the disabling of 2 user protection options (seems backward at first, but makes sense if you read the detailed explanation - ie double negative means disabling at group level enables at individual level).
    Also used REGEDIT to check the settings to make sure they were both set to zero, not 1. But the "enable system protection" option is still grayed out, as shown in original post.
    So, does anyone know how to change that from a grayed out option to active one that I can actually click on to enable sys protection?

jakamon, Dec 15, 2015
  8. brummyfan Win User

Go to Services and check whether Volume Shadow Copy stopped. If it has, start it by right clicking it.

System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled [​IMG]

EDIT: In future start a new thread and don't post in old threads, you will get more response as old threads viewed seldom*Wink

brummyfan, Dec 16, 2015
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    See whether this commmand can fix it:

"%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation"

Paste this exact string into an elevated command prompt and hit Enter.

10. questech Win User
    Totally Worked... Thanks!!!!!

questech, Jul 7, 2016
  11. chinarog Win User
    I have the same problem as Tracey W & Jakamon and have spent all day searching the net for possible solutions. In desperation, I even upgraded to Win10 Pro from Home and still have the same.

I pasted into a Administrator Command Prompt exactly as shown but got "Directory Name Invalid". Anybody any other ideas, or can anyone recommend where else I should look? I am not technical but am having to be very tenacious?

ps. I have since explored this great forum and have arrived at the solution for me.
    Thanks TairiKuOkami. I can now get my life back.
    Solved Can't enable System Restore - Windows 10 Forums

chinarog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System Restore permanently disabled and cannot re-enabled - Similar Threads - System Restore permanently

2. Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.: I was using bitdefender for a while, but now i uninstalled it. even after uninstalling it, my default windows defender is not working. Its showing "this page has been blocked by your IT Admin....." this only happend when some other Antivirus is installed! but i don't have...
  3. Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen: I was wondering once you Disable your tocuhscreen, are you able to Enable it again after? Just asking before I make a mistake. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-and-re-enabling-touchscreen/0ea8942b-e1b9-4773-a5ef-8a226289eb83
  4. Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen

Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen: I was wondering once you Disable your tocuhscreen, are you able to Enable it again after? Just asking before I make a mistake. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-and-re-enabling-touchscreen/0ea8942b-e1b9-4773-a5ef-8a226289eb83
  5. Disable and Re-enabling Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.

Disabled Cortana, now cannot re-enable her.: I disabled Cortana and Telemetry a couple weeks ago, but now I want to reverse my actions. Here's what I did initially: Code: In regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Search I created a new DWORD and named it AllowCortana, and...
  7. Re-enable Restore Previous Version?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Re-enable Restore Previous Version?: In windows 10 Home, is it possible to reenable the "Restore Previous Version" function that came with Windows 7, or is there any software that I can but that does the same thing? This would be in addition to my regular backup routine, rather than instead of it. 85004
  8. System Restore disabled and cannot enable it

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore disabled and cannot enable it: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  9. Windows key disabled by system cannot re-enable, help..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows key disabled by system cannot re-enable, help..: Hello my windows key got disabled when I turned my pc on a message popped up saying: "system has disabled the windows key" I tried to do this method; [']https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-windows-key], but the download doesn't work and there is no sancode map...
  10. Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows How to Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 restore point) without losing personal data files. System Restore is enabled by default in Windows. If disabled, create a restore...