Windows 10: System restore point automatic create not working....need help.

Discus and support System restore point automatic create not working....need help. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Just check my settings and the are the same as you (including traverse etc.) Honestly i have no clues/ideas anymore. Q: Does 1607 creates checkpoints... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bjm, Dec 2, 2016.

1. BJM
    bjm Win User

System restore point automatic create not working....need help.

Q: Does 1607 creates checkpoints (auto & when called) without setting Schedule for you..?

Guess, I'm playing catch-up regarding 1607. I waited till Woody Leonard seemed to suggest 1607 was okay.

Wonder why creating shortcuts and schedules is preferable to working as expected (auto & when called) System Restore.
    Unless, System Restore is really borked since 1607 (pre-1607).

Guess, I'll review this and threads you offered.
    And maybe ask/PM Brink.

Thanks again!

2. BJM
    bjm Win User

Hello lifetec,
    Well, I set System Restore task to run every hour. I can see the Last Run time change but, that's all I see.

Maybe, I setup task wrong because I'm not finding task run with Event Viewer.

And I have not as yet tested manual created restore point.

I keep thinking, maybe I broke SR by playing with some switch somewhere.

Regards

3. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Hello lifetec, et al that pass this way,

I've read googling around that System Restore has registry keys that I do not appear to have.
    for example:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    RPGlobalInterval > value data of: 15180
    &
    "BTW, is it possible to change the frequency of automatic restore points"
    The default is every 24 hours. This can be changed thru the registry here :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current version\SystemRestore
    Change the value of 86,400 seconds up or down.
    Also by default, SR deletes restore points after 90 days = 7,776,000 seconds.

Please compare my registry to yours and advise.

System restore point automatic create not working....need help. [​IMG]

Thanks

4. lifetec Win User

As i said before system restore has changed with the annversary update, i believe that only once in seven days there will be a automatic restore point made anymore.
    My assumption is also that system restore is on the way out by Microsoft.
    I do not use system restore anymore after the annversary update.

As i previously adviced you i would make a post in the System Restore Point shortcut - Create in Windows 10 - Page 5 - Windows 10 Forums and put your specific problem there with a link to this thread.
    Because the visiting members in that thread have more elaborate knowledge of this matter.

lifetec, Dec 4, 2016
  5. CmmTch Win User
    If you still see the CAPI2 513 error try this link, it's a more recent (Nov. 2016) fix from Macrium that only involves opening an administrative command prompt, cutting and pasting the given command and sending it.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...in+Windows+8.1

Scroll down a bit on that page and follow the Solution, it fixed the CAPI2 errors for me. W10 Home AU 1607.

CmmTch, Dec 4, 2016
  6. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Oh, Okay. Since you looked before.

Thought, you'd look again.

Okay, I hear ya.

Sorry, I was not aware.

Thanks again!
    Cheers

7. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Besides the CAP12 error.
    Were you also only able to manual create restore points.
    While, automatic restore points & when called restore points were not populating to checkpoint list.
    ?
    Um, fixed the CAPI2 errors for you with Macrium backups or with System Restore.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Please compare my registry to yours and advise.

seems like I'm missing data #16

Thanks!

8. BJM
    bjm Win User

For all that travel this way,

I had occasion to check two W10 Home machines, OEM W10 1511, auto-updated to 1607.
    Both machines under the care of users that have no notion of System Protection.

System Protection was On with 1%. Checkpoints list Windows Updates and HP updates.

Head scratch, why System Protection is reported as default Off with 1607.
    System Protection was default On for the two 1607 machines, I checked.

Regards

9. BJM
    bjm Win User
    [SC] SetServiceObjectSecurity SUCCESS

What ever success message indicates.

Thanks

10. CmmTch Win User
    To me success meant it set the permissions as needed. After running that command I haven't seen anymore CAPI2 errors in the event log.

For what it's worth I've posted a pic of my regedit below for comparison, I had to clean install due to upgrading a motherboard (my box hadn't had a clean install since XP Pro, haha, it was past time for that) The other difference I see is the LastIndex key, you have 26, I have 9. Since I clean installed I don't have a PreviousOSUpgrade key.

P.S. I've had to enable system protection on every new version of W10, for whatever reason MS sees fit to set it "disabled" as default

CmmTch, Dec 7, 2016
  11. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Were you seeing CAPI2 errors with Macrium & System Restore.

And after enabling system protection.
    1) Does System Protection automatically create and populate checkpoints to list.
    Does System Protection create restore points when called by a program and populate checkpoints to list.

2) I'd like to confirm whether my issue is unique to me or common.
    My issue is that I can manually create restore points okay and those manual created will populate to my list.
    Automatic restore points do not populate to my list. Albeit, Task Scheduler shows Last Run time change.
    Automatic restore points do not populate to my list e.g., with Windows Updates.
    When create restore point is called by a program. I see activity that suggest restore point is being created ...but, again the activity does not translate to an entry in my list.

12. CmmTch Win User
    Here's mine, nothing automatic showing up after the first one on 11-29, I'd be lying if I said I knew how often those were created in the past. I haven't used a restore point since XP, used the embedded backup restore/image function in Win7 the few times I needed something like that.

I continued to use it for a short time after upgrading to W10, but had trouble with it so I've since been using Macrium Reflect Free edition. I just haven't paid much attention to system restore other than to make sure it's enabled after a new version of W10 is installed.

The main reason I got involved in the CAPI2 error was from Macrium showing error with a backup, no errors at all with 1511, they didn't start showing up until the 1607 AU. Macrium's site has articles about problems with the W10 AU.

FWIW I clean installed W10 AU 1607 on 11-19-2016, so if there's an predetermined interval for the restore point auto create, appears for me it was 10 days.

CmmTch, Dec 7, 2016
  13. BJM
    bjm Win User

CmmTch,
    Thanks again for helping me wrap my thinking around my observations.
    Sure seems like your System Protection is working as expected.

You clean installed W10 AU 1607 on 11-19-2016. And I, in-place updated to 1607 on 11-24-2016.

I'll run Macrium before (major) updates. And I like having System Protection auto create points when called by programs.
    For example, O&O Shutup10 calls "creating system restore point" upon settings change.

System Protection ran as expected for me with 1511.
    Something went wonky (for me) with 1607 System Protection.

Interesting for me is that in-place 1607 update felt solid. And once I cleaned up some 1607 bloat and re-set some settings that changed with 1607. 1607 feels solid. Further interest is that 1511 in-place upgrade (W8.1) was solid and 1511 felt solid.

So, in hindsight. I'm thinking I should have reset O&O Shutup10 setting to default before I ran 1607 feature update.

I've read numerous reports (as you know) of users needing to clean install 1511 & 1607.

Silly me is hoping a user that had & sorted, similar to my System Protection issue, comes across my thread.

I'll update how I progress.

Thanks again!!

14. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Hello Thread,
    here's a bit of progress
    Current Usage: increases with each manual create restore point called by me thru System Protection - Create & create restore point created when called by program.
    for example:
    1.40GB

Note: only the manual create points called by me thru System Protection - Create populate to System Restore list.

What is the mechanism that populates data to the System Restore list.
    *Restore Points called by third party do not populate to System Restore list.

Thema:

1. System restore point automatic create not working....need help. - Similar Threads - System restore point

2. needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically: 1Is it needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically?2CREATE INSTALLATION MEDIA -- using mediacreationtool_Windows11_22H2.exe --- for Windows 11 22H2 from PC A [choice for this PC A] and for Windows 11 22H2 from PC B [choice General]has created...
  3. needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically: 1Is it needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically?2CREATE INSTALLATION MEDIA -- using mediacreationtool_Windows11_22H2.exe --- for Windows 11 22H2 from PC A [choice for this PC A] and for Windows 11 22H2 from PC B [choice General]has created...
  4. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup: I need help with creating and keeping automatic restore points at startup. I have been fighting with this for months.Restore points are not created at startup Restore points are deleted by something I can't figure out. They simply disappear. I don't know where they go.C-drive...
  5. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup: I need help with creating and keeping automatic restore points at startup. I have been fighting with this for months.Restore points are not created at startup Restore points are deleted by something I can't figure out. They simply disappear. I don't know where they go.C-drive...
  6. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. restore point not created, system protection not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore point not created, system protection not working: after a long refresh of windows 10 using media creation tool, WIndows version 21H1 build 19043.1052 is the result.Now creating a restore point hangs for ever, after taking for ever to find the drives and list for which drive protection is activated.Analyse wait chain shows...
  8. Automatic System Restore points not being created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Automatic System Restore points not being created: Did a Google search and did all the recommended fixes. Nothing. (Windows 10 Version 1809 - OS Build 17763.1039) 151119
  9. System Restore will not create a restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore will not create a restore point: This has been a recurring problem on my HP Pavilion with Windows 10 64bit. I cannot create a System Restore point and System Protection will not turn on. It just keep searching for drives. The error code given is 0x81000203. I have also tried installing Macrium Reflect as a...
  10. No Automatic Restore Points Created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    No Automatic Restore Points Created: I have a clean install of Win 10. Despite receiving several cumulative updates from Microsoft over the past several days, no automatic restore points have been created. System Restore is set to "On" for drive C: so that is not the issue. I can create manual restore points...