Windows 10: System restore point automatic create not working....need help.

Discus and support System restore point automatic create not working....need help. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; System Restore point manual create is okay, automatic create is not okay....need help. I noticed that restore points are not being created upon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bjm, Dec 2, 2016.

1. BJM
    bjm Win User

System restore point automatic create not working....need help.

System Restore point manual create is okay, automatic create is not okay....need help.

I noticed that restore points are not being created upon updates nor being created when a program calls System Restore Point being created.
    I can manual create restore points okay.

Any ideas what to check.
    Volume Shadow Copy and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider are Running Automatic.

After update 1511 to 1607 on Nov 25th, I noticed Disable System Protection was tick'd.
    I tick'd Turn on system protection and manually created System Restore points okay.

Now, I've noticed restore points are not being created upon updates nor being created when a program calls System Restore Point being created.

?

:)

2. Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 2, 2016
  3. Cefizelj' Win User
    System Restore not creating automatic restore points before Windows updates

I have noticed that computer's System Restore is not creating automatic restore points before regular Windows updates. Restore points can be created manually, but automatic creation is not working. What can I do to fix this? Thank you!

Cefizelj', Dec 2, 2016
  4. lifetec Win User

I understand you already previously enabled it.
    Did you use the slide to set the desired amount of space to use?

Do you have enough free space on all of your disks?

lifetec, Dec 2, 2016
  5. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Thanks for your interest and Thanks to Mods for moving to appropriate board.

Current Usage: 255MB
    Max Usage: 10% (90GB)

844GB free of 905GB

I still have Windows.old folder from 1507 to 1611 update.

Seems, 1607 update cleared out restore/checkpoints and set Configure to default Off.

No automatic checkpoints since Nov 24th.

HitmanPro delete tracking cookie called creating system restore point with no restore point showing with Restore your computer list.

I've run O&O Shutup10 several times for testing. Upon toggle Shutup10 switch. Shutup10 calls creating system restore point with no restore point showing with Restore your computer to the state... list.

I've googled around thinking some task or service needs to be turned On.
    I'm thinking maybe after roll-back days expire and Windows.old folder clears out....but, manual create works.

Auto and manual restore points worked with 1511.

1607 feels okay otherwise afaik.

6. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Update: Event Viewer seems to suggest >

Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe; Description = O&O ShutUp10).
    Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\Program Files\HitmanPro\HitmanPro.exe Files\HitmanPro\HitmanPro.exe" ; Description = Checkpoint by HitmanPro).

Successfully created (if true) is not populating to Restore your computer to the state... list.

I'm also seeing Error VSS & Error CAP12

Most of Event Viewer is over-my-pay-grade.

7. lifetec Win User
    Did you already try a hard shutdown of your laptop. To get a real reboot of your system.
    Hold down Shiftkey and Shutdown your laptop.

lifetec, Dec 2, 2016
  8. BJM
    bjm Win User

Yeah, Fast Startup is Off and I've tried numerous restarts and full shutdown, cold starts since Nov 24th.

Here's Event Viewer for one event. Maybe, you can decipher.

> Successfully created restore point (Process = C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe; Description = O&O ShutUp10) < appears sandwiched between VSS Error and CAP12 Error > over-my-pay-grade.

System Restore one event Shutup.txt

Thanks again for your continued interest and help.

9. lifetec Win User
    I found this about the CAP12 error.
    This i found also in your eventlog

This message is caused by the Windows Shadow Copy System Writer. If the permissions of the COM catalog folder are incorrect, this writer may not work

Could you check if your permissions are different and might be incorrect.
    See this link Event 513 errors in Windows 8.1

lifetec, Dec 2, 2016
  10. BJM
    bjm Win User
    System restore point automatic create not working....need help. [​IMG]

found like this, does this look okay

11. lifetec Win User
    lifetec, Dec 2, 2016
  12. BJM
    bjm Win User
    to what purpose, then what.....Basic & Advanced Protections are greyed out.

to what purpose, then what.....called restore points do not populate to the Restore your computer to the state... list.
    I'll have new system save points on schedule that don't populate to the Restore your computer to the state...list.
    Reproducible. What ever that indicates.
    System Restore 2.txt

13. lifetec Win User

So you can check if you have the same permissions ticked as in the article.
    If not this could be the problem(or one of the problems). I'm only trying to help.
    And you can change them with change Permissions.

lifetec, Dec 2, 2016
  14. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Ahh, Yes.... same as >
    In the following dialog, make sure that the following permissions are set:
    • The Administrators group has Full Control over This folder and files.
    • The Everyone group has List folder/read data, Read attributes, Read extended attributes, and read permissions for This folder and files.
    • The SYSTEM account has Full Control over This folder and files.

The Everyone group also has Traverse folder / execute file .....

I'll try setting Schedule. I'll post back. Thanks

Um, can you confirm that 1607 creates checkpoints (auto & when called) without setting Schedule.

15. lifetec Win User
    Just check my settings and the are the same as you (including traverse etc.)
    Honestly i have no clues/ideas anymore.

In this post here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...ws-10-a-5.htmlon the forum i read that after the anniversary update Microsoft changed something in system restore and that some people with some system have problems.
    Maybe you could ask/PM Brink(administrator) to help you with this problem and point him to this thread.
    He has made/written these system restore scripts and tutorials and is specialized in this matter.

lifetec, Dec 2, 2016
Thema:

1. System restore point automatic create not working....need help. - Similar Threads - System restore point

2. needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically: 1Is it needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically?2CREATE INSTALLATION MEDIA -- using mediacreationtool_Windows11_22H2.exe --- for Windows 11 22H2 from PC A [choice for this PC A] and for Windows 11 22H2 from PC B [choice General]has created...
  3. needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically: 1Is it needed to CREATE RESTORE POINT after an Update or is it Created Automatically?2CREATE INSTALLATION MEDIA -- using mediacreationtool_Windows11_22H2.exe --- for Windows 11 22H2 from PC A [choice for this PC A] and for Windows 11 22H2 from PC B [choice General]has created...
  4. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup: I need help with creating and keeping automatic restore points at startup. I have been fighting with this for months.Restore points are not created at startup Restore points are deleted by something I can't figure out. They simply disappear. I don't know where they go.C-drive...
  5. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup: I need help with creating and keeping automatic restore points at startup. I have been fighting with this for months.Restore points are not created at startup Restore points are deleted by something I can't figure out. They simply disappear. I don't know where they go.C-drive...
  6. Create and keep automatic restore points at system startup

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. restore point not created, system protection not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore point not created, system protection not working: after a long refresh of windows 10 using media creation tool, WIndows version 21H1 build 19043.1052 is the result.Now creating a restore point hangs for ever, after taking for ever to find the drives and list for which drive protection is activated.Analyse wait chain shows...
  8. Automatic System Restore points not being created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Automatic System Restore points not being created: Did a Google search and did all the recommended fixes. Nothing. (Windows 10 Version 1809 - OS Build 17763.1039) 151119
  9. System Restore will not create a restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore will not create a restore point: This has been a recurring problem on my HP Pavilion with Windows 10 64bit. I cannot create a System Restore point and System Protection will not turn on. It just keep searching for drives. The error code given is 0x81000203. I have also tried installing Macrium Reflect as a...
  10. No Automatic Restore Points Created

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    No Automatic Restore Points Created: I have a clean install of Win 10. Despite receiving several cumulative updates from Microsoft over the past several days, no automatic restore points have been created. System Restore is set to "On" for drive C: so that is not the issue. I can create manual restore points...