Windows 10: System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt

Discus and support System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. OS: Windows 10 (I believe it's Educational version) 1903 - with all updates available. Here's what happened: I started System Restore to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kaczmen, Aug 28, 2019.

1. kaczmen Win User

System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt

Hi.

OS: Windows 10 (I believe it's Educational version) 1903 - with all updates available.

Here's what happened:

1. I started System Restore to a point from few hours ago (installed an app that messed up my env vars - whatever...)
    2. It all looked fine, PC rebooted and was chilling on black loading screen (with white circle spinning)
    3. After a while I came back and PC was shut down. Strange.
    4. Fired it up, got "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" BSOD.
    5. Automatic repair couldn't fix it, so I went to Advanced > System Restore and chose an option to undo previous system restore.
    6. Got an error "something about WindowsApps folder"
    7. Launched System Restore again, undo option was missing so I chose the initial restore point
    8. Got an error "something about unpacking contents"
    9. Launched System Restore again, no restore points are available (it was the only one I created)

Current status:

• PC won't boot, in normal nor in safe mode - CRITICAL PROCESS DIED blue screen
    • Automatic repair also from USB recovery won't work - logfile says it couldn't find a cause
    • I can access CMD

I could try to figure out these errors but can't retry the restore anyway because it seems like Windows just deleted these points.

Does anyone have any idea what to try next?

:)

kaczmen, Aug 28, 2019
  2. graye Win User

System Restore is on But No Restore Points

I disagree...

• No, System Restore is not off by default (at least not on my systems)
    • No, it is not basically defunct (it works just like it always has)

Yes, an Automatic Update (or even a normal software package install) will attempt to create another restore point. And, yes.... if you run out of room that has been set aside for System Restore, it will start deleting old restore points. So if that's
    the case, the solution is kinda self-evident... just increase the percentage of the disk space that the system restore is allowed to use.

Yes, it's true that during an Upgrade of Windows 10 (say, from the "Fall Creators Update" to the "Spring 2018 Update") the system will do you a favor and wipe the older restore points (because their content is not valid anymore)

graye, Aug 28, 2019
  3. PaulGuzis Win User
    System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point

Hello:

System Restore did not completed successfully. Your computer system files and settings were not changed.

System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the Directory from the restore point.

Source: %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps

Destination: AppxStaging

The Restore point was damaging or was deleted during the restore.

It is doing this on all of my Restore points.

Help. Please.

PaulGuzis, Aug 28, 2019
  4. System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt

system restore, no cd

Mussels did not fail, those two are answers are very common with what you are describing. You can try to go back to a system restore point located in the help folder in control panel. Have you created any recent restore points?

t77snapshot, Aug 28, 2019
Thema:

System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt

1. System restore point got deleted after failed restore attempt - Similar Threads - System restore point

2. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  3. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  6. System Restore point failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore point failed: I tried doing system restore point, In the process I got stuck so I did force shutdown, later laptop turned on, but I can't install any software and not even able to open Microsoft office. I tried sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth also but there...
  7. System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point

System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point: Hello: System Restore did not completed successfully. Your computer system files and settings were not changed. System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the Directory from the restore point. Source: %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps Destination: AppxStaging...
  8. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  9. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  10. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...