Windows 10: System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive

Discus and support System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've seen a lot of unusual problems over the past few decades, but this one is new. A Windows 10 system that will not boot, has restore points, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Targonis1, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Targonis1 Win User

System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive

I've seen a lot of unusual problems over the past few decades, but this one is new. A Windows 10 system that will not boot, has restore points, but on selecting one, I get a status claiming that "you must enable system protection on this drive". This isn't an error once the restore starts or fails, it just won't allow me to even start the restore.

There are three restore points on the system in question, all three claim the same thing. The owner of the system fell for one of the bogus, "your computer is infected, call the following number" messages. At this point though, Windows itself will not start. recoveryenabled was turned off, but getting no error messages that indicate what has failed.

Has anyone else encountered the "you must enable system protection on this drive" in the status in System Restore?

:)

Targonis1, Aug 26, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

System Protection - Restore "drive"

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

For which drive did you enable the system protection?

System protection feature allows you to restore or undo the changes without having to use the Windows installation media. It uses restore points to restore the computer to the state when the restore point was created.
    By default, System protection is enabled for the drive where Windows is installed, but you can enable it for other drives as well.

Go to settings->System->Storage->System drive->System and reserved.

You will see if there are any restore points on the system partition.

To delete the restore points, go to system protection settings.

Go to System protection.

Select the drive and click on ‘Configure.

Click on ‘Delete’ to delete all restore points.

Choose ‘Continue’ to remove all restore points on the selected drive.

I wouldn’t recommend deleting restore points for your system drive.

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Aug 26, 2019
  3. System Protection - Restore "drive"

In system protection, it shows 2 drives in the list. One of them being C: the other being Restore with a folder icon.

It was the Restore "drive" that I enabled it on and then disabled it; which is when I received the warning of deleting the restore points and the amount of space being used was cleared from 5G to zero when I disabled it.

weaver2014, Aug 26, 2019
  4. System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive

Cannot Create System Restore Point Because Cannot Turn On System Protection

In Control Panel/System/System Properties/System Protection, "Available Drives," all that is listed is "Searching..." No drives are located, so no System Restore point can be established.

How to fix?

I have an extensive active thread in another area of the community dealing with the failure of this PC to install the latest Windows 10 update. Prior to executing the next suggested step to fix that problem I need to create a System Restore point, so a
    solution to this issue must be found before I can move forward on the major problem.

YES, I have ALREADY run the SFC Command as Administrator and the report was that everything was A-OK.

Curmudgeon10, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive

1. System restore point has a status claiming that you must enable system protection on this drive - Similar Threads - System restore point

2. restore point not created, system protection not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore point not created, system protection not working: after a long refresh of windows 10 using media creation tool, WIndows version 21H1 build 19043.1052 is the result.Now creating a restore point hangs for ever, after taking for ever to find the drives and list for which drive protection is activated.Analyse wait chain shows...
  3. System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.

System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.: Hi, when I went to make a system restore point, with protection enabled, it showed a warning message exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle. The message said 'Using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted...
  4. I cannot enable system Protection to create a restore point

I cannot enable system Protection to create a restore point: Hi, I cannot enable system Protection to create a restore point. I have searched around for solutions, but cannot find any newer solutions due to the fact windows has changed since these solutions were posted. so how do I fix this challenge? [ATTACH]...
  5. System Restore Point

System Restore Point: When I tried to use a restore to a system restore point. Windows asked for a password. I tried every password I knew, including local and microsoft account. I even tried to reintall windows and reset it. None worked, what can I do?...
  6. You must enable system protection on this drive – System Restore error

in Windows 10 News
    You must enable system protection on this drive – System Restore error: [ATTACH]If when you try to perform System Restore in Windows 10/8/7, and you receive the You must enable system protection on this drive status error […] This article You must enable system protection on this drive – System Restore error first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  7. System Protection - Restore "drive"

System Protection - Restore "drive": I was, possibly foolishly, going through the system protection settings today and notice that the Restore drive had protection off. I went into the configure settings and enabled it. Noticing that the drive size was at 5.45 Gig with a max set at 20.1 Gig. After hitting...
  8. System restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore points: Suddenly all my system restore points disappeared. No restore points are being created by windows up dates Manual restore points are working ok since this occurence. 56422
  9. System Restore points

System Restore points: I am helping my church with some of their computer problems. A couple of weeks ago, Windows 10 was automatically updated on their machines running Windows 7. This has caused a problem with one of their main applications that is used to track church business. While trying to...
  10. System restore points

System restore points: Restore points being deleted. Older restore points are being auto-deleted. And I'd like to keep them. I saved some restore points in October, but now they're gone, and the only ones left, are the ones I created in November. I've allowed 90 Gb of memory space for...