Windows 10: System Restore Point Keeps Growing

Discus and support System Restore Point Keeps Growing in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi to all. I posted this question quite a while back and never really got a clear answer as I recall. My SSD is 256GB. It contains the operating system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mcd73165, May 15, 2021.

1. Mcd73165 Win User

System Restore Point Keeps Growing

Hi to all. I posted this question quite a while back and never really got a clear answer as I recall. My SSD is 256GB. It contains the operating system and all of my files. Not even half of the drive is being used. My question is more of interest rather than causing a problem. I set the system restore space usage to 5% which is 11.89GB. If I create a single restore point it starts off using around 600MB. In about a week it will grow to something like 9 or 10GB. It does this on another machine I have as well. I never remember this happening with Windows 7. Once a snapshot is taken I would think that its size would stay pretty much the same. If additional restore points are created I obviously expect it to grow. I'm not concerned about the free space being swallowed up as there is plenty of storage left as I mentioned earlier. Anyone have any idea why this happens? Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark

:)

Mcd73165, May 15, 2021
  2. budguinn Win User

Why does my current system restore point keep growing in size?

JR,

This is amazing. Your reply has nothing to do with my question. My drive is 2TB..who cares how much space I allot to the restore points. Did you even bother reading the purpose of the question? Why is a restore point..which is a snap shot in time, grow
    from 27mb to over 1.14gb? How can a restore point grow?

can you answer that question?

BTW, look at some of the answers to questions about loss of restore points.....many times it is recommended to be 20% allocated to the VSS. Well, 20% of a 2tb drive is around 373gb. This is Microsofts' recommendation.

And you ask me to clean up 'recent restore points'.....that is idiotic.....the point is that the system keeps deleting my restore points. ALL OF THEM....THEY ARE ALL GONE AFTER A SHUTDOWN!!!.....there is nothing left to clean up....Jeeeezz.

Am I speaking a different language?

best regards,

bud guinn

budguinn, May 15, 2021
  3. budguinn Win User
    How does a System Restore Point continue to grow in size?

I have updated to Win 10 from Win 7...This was a 'clean' install. Everything seems to work well except System Restore. The machine will delete all restore points if it is Shutdown.....not usually with just a restart. I've posted three or four different
    questions to Microsoft on this with no joy on repairing. I've also read everything on this site that I could find that relates, whether Windows 10, 7, or 8.

As part of this I have been watching the restore points.

I noticed them 'growing' in size. I have asked Microsoft about this but have never received an answer to the question...of how can a system snap shot, continue to grow. It kind of defeats the purpose.

As the title says, the restore point created yesterday started at 24mb......six hours later this same restore point was listed as 237mb......early this morning the same restore point was showing that it was using 430mb. The same restore point two hours
    later is 2.1gb. After putting the machine in sleep mode I went and played 9holes of golf. The machine is now reporting a restore point size of 10.9gb. That is a rather large increase of a 27mb file. I also used TreeSize to see that this is all in the System
    Volume folder and pretty much one file. BTW, there is only one restore point showing in the system protection screen....and it is highly unlikely it would be good for anything.

I have run sfc/scannow. Adjusted Vss size to 20% of drive....it is a 2tb drive. The same machine was running Win 7 and never had any problems with this.

My main problem is after shutdown all restore points are deleted.

With the above information, does anyone have any ideas.

Microsoft will answer a question/ticket one time and will not come back after you tell them that their recommendations did not work. Also, they don't really seem to read the question/problem at all. Apparently they have a manual that gives stock answers
    and they are confined to those answers.

Does anyone in this community have any suggestions?

budguinn, May 15, 2021
  4. budguinn Win User

My single System Restore Point is growing in size....How is this possible?

As the title says, the restore point created yesterday started at 24mb......six hours later this same restore point was listed as 237mb......early this morning the same restore point was showing that it was using 430mb. The same restore point is now listed
    as taking 2.1gb.

I have not turned the machine off, because it will delete all restore points on shutdown. It only has one restore point. I am getting the size by looking at the 'configure' button on the System Protection screen. I just checked it as I was typing this
    to make sure I gave you the right screen, and it is now at 2.92gb. It has grown .8gb in fifteen minutes.

Can you explain how a restore point, which is a snap shot of my system at one point in time, can continually grow larger and larger?

I never had this problem with Windows 7, only with Windows 10.

I have asked about this before, but the support staff only reply once to a question, whether their answer cures the problem or not.

If you want to see the previous questions that I've posted they are under my name.....somewhere on your system.

best regards,

bud guinn

budguinn, May 15, 2021
Thema:

1. System Restore Point Keeps Growing - Similar Threads - System Restore Point

2. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  3. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restore point grows

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore point grows: I created a restore point that was 13.x mb and it has grown to 600.x mb, why???? 158636
  6. Restore point grows

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore point grows: I created a restore point that was 13.x mb and it has grown to 600.x mb, why???? 158636
  7. System Restore Point

System Restore Point: When I tried to use a restore to a system restore point. Windows asked for a password. I tried every password I knew, including local and microsoft account. I even tried to reintall windows and reset it. None worked, what can I do?...
  8. System and Reserved Keeps Growing.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System and Reserved Keeps Growing.: Hi, So I'm posting here because I have yet to find a thread with an actual solution to this problem online. I've seen other folks ask about this question, and so far, no real solutions. My concern is that the system and reserved folder on windows 10 seems to grow at an...
  9. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  10. System restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore points: Restore points being deleted. Older restore points are being auto-deleted. And I'd like to keep them. I saved some restore points in October, but now they're gone, and the only ones left, are the ones I created in November. I've allowed 90 Gb of memory space for...