Windows 10: System Restore Point Types

Discus and support System Restore Point Types in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I notice that there are many types of restore points in the System Recovery system. I have not seen a documented comprehensive list of restore point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mbartosh, May 11, 2021.

1. mbartosh Win User

System Restore Point Types

I notice that there are many types of restore points in the System Recovery system. I have not seen a documented comprehensive list of restore point types and what they actually mean. What are their significance?Here are the different variations I have seen.71617APPLICATION_INSTALLAPPLICATION_UNINSTALLDEVICE_DRIVER_INSTALLMODIFY_SETTINGS

:)

mbartosh, May 11, 2021

2. System-Restore-Point Types?

Hi Zhao,

Thank you for sharing on Community. To help you with your inquiry, let me provide you information.

System Restore actually has 3 types which are triggered by events on your computer.

Event-triggered restore points, with their known labels on System Restore, are as enumerated below:

• Install - Application installation (provided the application utilizes an installer that is System Restore compliant). If the application install causes system problems, the user can restore the system to a state before the installation
      of the application.
    • Critical - AutoUpdate installation. AutoUpdate provides an easy way for users to download critical Windows updates. After the update is downloaded, the user can install the update on the system. If the user chooses to install the update,
      System Restore creates a restore point before the installation of the update begins.
    • Undo - System restore. For example, if a user accidentally chooses the wrong restore point, the user can undo the restore operation by choosing a restore point before the system restore took place. The user can then choose the correct restore
      point.
    You may find the same information on this
    link
    . Just look for the Event-triggered restore points portion of the article.

Let us know if this helps.

Carlo Vale, May 11, 2021
  3. jellyroll Win User
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CSystem Restore Point Types :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CSystem Restore Point Types :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, May 11, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

I know of no easier way to delete them, so here are the instructions.

Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

A System Image restore point is describe as type 'Backup'.

System Restore Point Types [​IMG]

First, go to Settings > Backup & Restore > Recovery and select the 'Restart now' button in Advanced Start-up.

When you get Advanced Start-up, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

You will be asked to choose an administrator account and supply it's password, then the Command Prompt will open.

Type the commands DISKPART then LIST VOL and EXIT to see a list of all drives, in this example the Windows system is on the C: drive, yours may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive, in this example I typed C:

Then use the CD (change directory) command CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

Youn can now close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

All System Image Restore points of type 'Backup' will now have gone.

Thema:

1. System Restore Point Types - Similar Threads - System Restore Point

2. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  3. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore Point

System Restore Point: When I tried to use a restore to a system restore point. Windows asked for a password. I tried every password I knew, including local and microsoft account. I even tried to reintall windows and reset it. None worked, what can I do?...
  6. System restore point

System restore point: The only restore points on Windows 10 for me restoring to: 1) 11/13/2019...…....Windows update (which caused my problem)......update 2) 11/07/2019...…...Restore operation...............................................................undue 3) 11/05/2019...…..Dell...
  7. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  8. System restore points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore points: Suddenly all my system restore points disappeared. No restore points are being created by windows up dates Manual restore points are working ok since this occurence. 56422
  9. System Restore points

System Restore points: I am helping my church with some of their computer problems. A couple of weeks ago, Windows 10 was automatically updated on their machines running Windows 7. This has caused a problem with one of their main applications that is used to track church business. While trying to...
  10. System restore points

System restore points: Restore points being deleted. Older restore points are being auto-deleted. And I'd like to keep them. I saved some restore points in October, but now they're gone, and the only ones left, are the ones I created in November. I've allowed 90 Gb of memory space for...