Windows 10: System Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not

Discus and support System Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've read many other discussions about system restore points disappearing, and none of them end up with a resolution. Nothing I can find online has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cellorelio, May 7, 2020.

1. System Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not

I've read many other discussions about system restore points disappearing, and none of them end up with a resolution. Nothing I can find online has fixed the problem. Yes, it's enabled. Yes, there's enough space on my drive. Yes, I've allocated enough disk space for the points. No, I have no programs that are deleting the points. Yes, I've tried a task manager trigger. No, error checking did not find any problems. Yes, my drive is optimized. Etc., etc.

I manually create a restore point every morning. Sometimes it's still there the next day, most of the time it's not. Sometimes I find that one has been automatically created, most times, not.

Is it even possible for this to be fixed???

:)

cellorelio, May 7, 2020
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CSystem Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CSystem Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, May 7, 2020
  3. cereberus Win User
    Restore points being deleted

This is not a pitch but a valid suggestion of a superior alternative.

cereberus, May 7, 2020
  4. jellyroll Win User

System Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, May 7, 2020
Thema:

System Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not

1. System Restore Points: Sometimes They Stay, Most of the Time Not - Similar Threads - System Restore Points

2. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  3. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore Point

System Restore Point: When I tried to use a restore to a system restore point. Windows asked for a password. I tried every password I knew, including local and microsoft account. I even tried to reintall windows and reset it. None worked, what can I do?...
  6. Missing most of my System Restore Points

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Missing most of my System Restore Points: Hello: I usually manually create system restore points before and after any installation/un-installation I do. I allocate 20% of disk space to System Restore. A few hours ago, I noticed that I have only two days worth of SR points. I should have had about 10 days worth. I...
  7. Most of my System Restore points are missing!

Most of my System Restore points are missing!: Hello: I had about 7 days of system restore points. I manually create such points both before and after installing a program or uninstalling one. The System Restore feature is very valuable to me. This morning, I noticed I have only 2 days of restore points. It could not...
  8. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  9. System Restore points

System Restore points: I am helping my church with some of their computer problems. A couple of weeks ago, Windows 10 was automatically updated on their machines running Windows 7. This has caused a problem with one of their main applications that is used to track church business. While trying to...
  10. System restore points

System restore points: Restore points being deleted. Older restore points are being auto-deleted. And I'd like to keep them. I saved some restore points in October, but now they're gone, and the only ones left, are the ones I created in November. I've allowed 90 Gb of memory space for...