Windows 10: System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out

Discus and support System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks, a couple of wierd problems... First, pc is not going to sleep when button pressed. It was doing so until the last couple of days which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ArthurDent, May 13, 2021.

1. System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out

Hi folks, a couple of wierd problems... First, pc is not going to sleep when button pressed. It was doing so until the last couple of days which prompted me to run sfc/ scannow. Sfc found some file corruptions and repaired them. This didn't fix the issue however. So, I thought about doing a System Restore (which brings me to the second problem). System Restore is turned off! When I go to configure System Restore only to find that when I go to System Properties > System Protection Tab and click on 'Configure' : The 'Turn on System Protection' option under 'Restore Settings' is greyed out. It cannot be clicked on. So, I ran GPEDIT.msc, navigated to Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> System Restore and I looked for a setting which said Turn Off System Restore. I double-clicked this and selected Disabled. System restore is still greyed out. Ran regedit.exe looking for the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ SystemRestore. so that I could delete the values in DisableConfig and DisableSR However, the key did not exist : Do I have to create the keys and then set their values to zero?? So, any ideas about how to (a) Get System Restore up and running and (b) sort out the sleep problem (I'll take answers on the System Restore issue first if I may). PC spec is as per listed under 'System One' in 'My Computers'. OS was a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Thanks in anticipation, Art Update: Tried to run %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe /d srrstr.dll,ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation from an elevated Command Prompt after checking that Volume Shadow Copy was running but got the following error: Still stuck.

:)

ArthurDent, May 13, 2021
  2. Thrall Win User

Is There a Way To Protect System Restore?

So I just got off trying to fix my dad's computer, for the 2nd time in a few months, because it has some kind of malware or trojan on it. The first thing I always go to to fix his system is system restore because he doesn't make many changes, if any at all, to windows, software, or basically anything system restore restores other than updating windows. But the last few times he's had various problems system restore, with either has it's restore points being deleted or restore won't even start up. So basically I really need help finding a way to either password protect system restore (preferably for free), get a 3rd restore program that won't get disabled by this malware crap, or any other alternative. I really appreciate any help you can give me because I've had this happen to a few computers that have come my way to fix and i wish there where a way to stop it.

Edit: Just found a program call Settings Lock (Download Settings Lock 2.7.0 Free trial - Password lock Windows settings and functions) that I tested and it did successfully stop me from turning off system restore or changing it--but it's $25 and i'm not sure if restore could be turned off another other than my gui interface with that program so i'm still hoping to find something better or at least hear some more info about it.

Thrall, May 13, 2021
  3. keakar Win User
    How do I disable system restore?

all system restore is like a backup copy of your "c" drive so it can "restore" it to the way it was before you screwed it up or got a virus. it keeps certain restore points according to the disk space usage limits you set for it. default uses a lot of disk space and can have around 15+ seperate dates to select as restore points. i keep mine set on the first notch which for a 320gb hdd is around 3-4gb of space dedicated to restore file space and it gives me 7-8 dates for restore points which is plenty since i pick a restore date that only go back one or two days anyway.

to turn it on or off you open it and to the left side it says "system restore settings" so open it and select to turn off system restore and apply. then i reboot and open system restore which prompts me to turn it on so i do then reset the abount of space/restore points i want.

one thing to remember about system restore, it will remove things you added recently but it cant bring back something that has been deleted so if you delete or uninstall the wrong thing and your trying to get your files back or a program quits working on you, system restore cant help you.

keakar, May 13, 2021
  4. System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out

System Restore - Safe?

System restore works maybe 50% of the time.

It either fixes it, or breaks it.

thebeephaha, May 13, 2021
Thema:

System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out

1. System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out - Similar Threads - System Restore 'Turn

2. system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system restore: Windows 11 Pro, Build 22621.ni_release220506-1250 . System restore will not engage, and any program that try's to download reports "unknown error". This also happens when "SARA" is run ... can anyone help?...
  3. System Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore: Hi, my windows 10 laptop that Ive had for a few years now started acting strange earlier today. So last night I was trying to transfer some files from my phone to my computer which didnt work, so I decided to sleep on it and try again. While this was happening I was...
  4. System Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore: Hi, my windows 10 laptop that Ive had for a few years now started acting strange earlier today. So last night I was trying to transfer some files from my phone to my computer which didnt work, so I decided to sleep on it and try again. While this was happening I was...
  5. Turn on System Protection is greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn on System Protection is greyed out: I need to enable System Protection to create Restore Point but its greyed out. I am running windows 10 Home and have copied the specifics below. Edition Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Installed on ‎1/‎30/‎2021 OS build 19042.804 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  6. System Restore disabled by your system administrator or is greyed out

in Windows 10 News
    System Restore disabled by your system administrator or is greyed out: [ATTACH]If you receive a System Restore is disabled by your system administrator message, this post will help you fix the problem on your Windows 10/8/7 […] This article System Restore disabled by your system administrator or is greyed out first appeared on...
  7. System restore

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System restore: My laptop get autorepair so I think to restore laptop and by restoreing my laptop it get stuck for more than a month please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-restore/3c35bb61-ec76-4b1a-b061-8cee1b7437ad
  8. System Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore: I'm running Win 64 version 1903. I'm not able to set up a system restore configuration. When I try I get an error message: "There's been an unexpected error in the property page: System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again 0x81000203...
  9. System Restore will not turn on

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore will not turn on: Hi there. Got a strange situation on a newly configured win 10 machine. On the PC properties, System protection does not show the actual drive Windows is on. 'System Protection' is greyed out. In 'Configure' I can not remove the 'Disable system protection'. When I go to...
  10. Settings Greyed Out After Using System Restore Point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Settings Greyed Out After Using System Restore Point: After restoring my computer back two days using System Restore, I noticed in PC Settings>Personalization>Start>Choose which folders appear on Start, that all the options are greyed out except "Settings". I was wondering if there was a way to fix this? I already tried SFC...