Windows 10: System Restore windows 10 need to get my files from an external drive back

Discus and support System Restore windows 10 need to get my files from an external drive back in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi We have done a system restore on my husbands computer (windows 10) as it completely crashed and used the system recovery tool to backup to an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vinceh100, Aug 30, 2019.

1. vinceh100 Win User

System Restore windows 10 need to get my files from an external drive back

Hi We have done a system restore on my husbands computer (windows 10) as it completely crashed and used the system recovery tool to backup to an external drive. Now his computer is up and running but how do we restore the backed up files back on the computer ? All are .wim files?

:)

vinceh100, Aug 30, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 30, 2019
  4. System Restore windows 10 need to get my files from an external drive back

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

System Restore windows 10 need to get my files from an external drive back

1. System Restore windows 10 need to get my files from an external drive back - Similar Threads - System Restore need

2. How to restore Windows 11 from back up on the external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore Windows 11 from back up on the external hard drive?: Hello, I accidentally erased or completely damaged Windows 11 on my laptop. I have a back up image on the external hard drive SSD. How can I restore it? Thank you!...
  3. How to restore Windows 11 from back up on the external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore Windows 11 from back up on the external hard drive?: Hello, I accidentally erased or completely damaged Windows 11 on my laptop. I have a back up image on the external hard drive SSD. How can I restore it? Thank you!...
  4. need help with restoring file history from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    need help with restoring file history from external hard drive: So I have a FileHistory file on my external hard drive that I saved from my previous laptop that I returned, but with my new one after I plugged in my hard drive to restore my files and went to restore with file history it says that no file history was found, how would I get...
  5. Is there a way to get back my files after system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to get back my files after system restore?: Recently, I had to do a system restore to troubleshoot a problem and not all my files backed up. Is there any way to get those files back? submitted by /u/jado_05 [link] [comments]...
  6. Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring Files From An External Hard Drive: So I had to send in my previous laptop for repair and backed up my critical files and programs prior to sending it off. Glad I did so, since the folks doing the repairs, totally borked it. I got my warranty refund and purchased a new laptop. Problems have arisen though, in...
  7. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  8. Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive

Restoring from File History on an external drive to a new external drive: I have a computer including an external drive (which contains all the photos). These two things have been backed up to another external drive using File History. So far so good. Now, the drive containing the photos has been damaged and can not be used anymore. This means, I...
  9. restore files from external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    restore files from external drive: how to restore my files and programs after resetting windows 10? I backed up everything on an external hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-files-from-external-drive/10bb8695-d55c-41d5-9b2e-e0655b212d2a"
  10. Restoring from external hard drive

Restoring from external hard drive: My old laptop became non-functional (bad motherboard), so I uninstalled my SSD hard drive and have been using it as an external hard drive. Now, I would like to install everything on this external hard drive including the OS and files onto a new laptop. How can I do this?...