Windows 10: system running slow after changing motherboard

Discus and support system running slow after changing motherboard in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just switched to a new motherboard, its an ASRock H97M-ITX/ac. Before I turned off my pc with the old motherboard I uninstalled some devices like the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cardboardbox, Feb 22, 2016.

1. system running slow after changing motherboard

I just switched to a new motherboard, its an ASRock H97M-ITX/ac. Before I turned off my pc with the old motherboard I uninstalled some devices like the IDE controllers, network adapters, and sound. Then I installed the new motherboard, turned on the pc and noticed right away it was very slow but after a few restarts and installing the new motherboard's drivers it was somewhat faster but I could tell that it still wasnt right. I ran a benchmark on my ssd and got what I think is a really bad result:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 19.763 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 12.059 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 6.253 MB/s [ 1526.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 5.544 MB/s [ 1353.5 IOPS]
    Sequential Read (T= 1) : 17.194 MB/s
    Sequential Write (T= 1) : 11.953 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 2.197 MB/s [ 536.4 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 3.296 MB/s [ 804.7 IOPS]

I'm pretty sure this is terrible for a SSD. So I guess I did something wrong. Any idea whats wrong and how I can fix it? I'm prepared to reinstall Windows, but thought I'd check in here first because it would save some time if I could just fix my current Windows installation. Obviously a clean install would be best but the time involved in getting everything set up again! argh!

:)

cardboardbox, Feb 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Activation Code

As you have been told about the restriction of transferring of license after a change of the motherboard, I would like to let you know that if it is a retail license then you just have to follow the following steps to get your system activated after MoBo
    change.

1. Navigate to Settings>Update and Security>Activation.

2. Run the troubleshooter on the page(provided the system is inactivated)

3. Select I recently changed hardware on this device.

Afterwards, your system should be activated.

Please note that if you do a clean Install after Motherboard change then you must run troubleshooter using the same Microsoft account as it is tied to your Account.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Clock Running Slow ~ System Tray Clock running slow !

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way.

I understands that your System tray clock on the Dell PC has been running slow,
    this issue occurs if the system file is corrupted or damaged.

Please provide more information to help you better:

• Have you made any changes to the system prior to the issue?

• Have you installed all pending updates?

• Did you experience this issue on a local account or a Microsoft account?

• Have you replaced the CMOS battery in your computer?

If the computer is 3 or more years old it’s time to replace the battery on the motherboard.

I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the pc and login to the Admin account or the Microsoft account to test if that helps with this issue.

I also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Clean boot

I suggest you to do a clean boot and check if any third party apps are causing the issue.
    Placing the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue.

Please refer to the article below for steps to perform a clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer:Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot "to reset computer as usual.

Method 2:SFC

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Please refer the link below to run a system file checker scan and check if that helps.

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Method 3: Run DISM or System Update Readiness tool

Let’s run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool and check if it fixes the issue. This tool will try to fix the corrupt operating system files.

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, Right click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin). If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2. Type the following commands. Press Enter after each command.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

3. Close the command prompt then check if it fixes the issue.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists please get back to us we will be happy to help you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Feb 22, 2016
  4. pete1208 Win User

system running slow after changing motherboard

Sounds like a reformat of the SSD is required -- it may be using a wrong block size. Fresh OS install time and wipe it.

pete1208, Feb 25, 2016
  5. I reinstalled Windows on a new SSD I was adding to this pc anyway and then I reconnected the old boot drive to get some stuff off of it. My pc decided to boot off the old drive and this time Windows repaired something and its running perfectly fine again. I have no idea why this repair didnt happen before now, maybe I had a bad shutdown which triggered Windows to scan the drive for problems? So I guess I need to decide whether to use the fresh install of windows and continue to reinstall everything or go back to the old Windows install on the previous boot drive. I'm leaning to going with the fresh install but not sure yet.

cardboardbox, Feb 26, 2016
  6. pete1208 Win User
    cant go wrong with a fresh install. good luck

pete1208, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

system running slow after changing motherboard

1. system running slow after changing motherboard - Similar Threads - system running slow

2. ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR after changing motherboard: As the title says, i suddenly got the "This site can’t provide a secure connection" and "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR" after i changed my motherboard. Listed below are all the methods that i've tried:1. Synced the time and date2. Cleared SSL state3. Cleared browser's cache &...
  3. System Clock Running Slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Clock Running Slow: My system clock consistently runs slow. Using a stopwatch, I've timed that 60 seconds on my system clock takes 74 seconds in real time. I've validated this using a standalone stopwatch, and the stopwatch app on my phone and can upload video to clearly demonstrate it.I've...
  4. System running slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System running slow: Hi My laptop running slow when i open on screen keyboard mouse cursor freezing and Internet also working slow. Please help me about this issue .Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-running-slow/0243e613-ff04-41f7-831b-c3c80c73b435
  5. Games not running after changing Motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games not running after changing Motherboard.: I cannot play games from microsoft store after changing my mobo. I did read about this issue and I cant just download Forza Horizon 3 again. I do own newer games but how I can resolve this problem, without unnesesary "magic". *edit* For now it is fixed out of nowhere but...
  6. reactivation after change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reactivation after change of motherboard: my last windows 10 pro was a digital license. I don't know how to reactivate after change of motherboard. I have still with me the genuine windows 7 license. I don't know what to do. kindly help me....
  7. Slow boot after changing system locale

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow boot after changing system locale: I had a problem where my computer takes more than 10 minutes to boot up (usually takes 16 seconds). I couldn't fix it so I had tried a clean install and it works fine. Today I changed my system locale and restarted my computer, the problem reappeared again. So I reckon that...
  8. After Motherboard change

After Motherboard change: Hi all, I just upgraded my motherboard and processor and now windows thinks I don't have my key anymore. I never got an email containing the key, where can I find it?...
  9. Activation after motherboard change.

Activation after motherboard change.: I have three computers running Windows 10 in the house. I have just replaced the motherboard in my desktop and now it says it needs activation. I have not replaced the hard disks so it is exactly the same version of windows 10 that has run fine since doing a free upgrade from...
  10. Windows system running slow.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows system running slow.: Hi, My windows laptop is running very slow and sometimes freezes. I think the problem is 100% disk usage. Please help me resolve it.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-running-slow/50c33fad-0007-445a-a767-ed44a16b9aaf

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop very slow after motherboard replaced

2. computer slow after motherboard change