Windows 10: System Sounds not working?

Discus and support System Sounds not working? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all - having a strange issue on my Win10 Pro 64-bit desktop. All sound is working fine, EXCEPT the System Sounds (recycle bin delete noise, Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Darkstrike, Jan 5, 2018.

1. System Sounds not working?

Hi all - having a strange issue on my Win10 Pro 64-bit desktop. All sound is working fine, EXCEPT the System Sounds (recycle bin delete noise, Windows startup sound, etc). I can watch Youtube, listen to music, do voice chat, etc and all is fine there, but cannot hear any of the system sounds. Using the 'Test' button in the Sound settings makes no noise either, no matter what Sound Theme I set things to.

This all happened after I used the Update Tool from MS's website to upgrade to the latest Creator Update...

I've run an 'sfc /scannow' in the Command Prompt and all checked out OK, so not sure what is up? I have a Realtek on-board card if that helps!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! *Smile

:)

Darkstrike, Jan 5, 2018

2. System sounds not functioning.

I have a problem whereby my machine does not play system sounds. All the settings which I can find seem to be correct, and the speakers work and will play music etc no problem. Strangely when I did a restart yesterday I happened to have my headphones on
    and I did hear the start up sound, but so far I have never heard this through the speakers.

My machine is a HP Elitebook 810 G1 with Windows 10.

Nigel of Rhos, Jan 5, 2018
  3. System sounds not functioning.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted and we appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue.

Now, here are the below important links which will help you.

• Set default device This is in order to make all the programs have their audio played through this device.
    • Turn off Audio Enhancements This ensures that all calls/video call audio will be played through this device (unless otherwise configured).

Hope the above information will be helpful. However, if it does not help, follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

I suggest you to check if any of the audio settings has been changed.

To quickly identify if it at a user level, the easiest way here is to
    check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Follow the steps:

• Assuming that you are already logged on to your user account in Windows 10, click the Start button.
    • From the Start menu, click your name from the top of the left pane.
    • From the displayed options click Sign out.
    • From the login screen, click to the different user account you want to switch to.

However, if you do not have a separate user account, I suggest you to create another administrator user account by referring to the Microsoft article here: Set
    up accounts

Method 2

If it still does not help, I suggest you to reinstall the drivers for the audio device. This in fact will revert all the changes made and restore the device configuration and settings to its factory settings.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 5, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

System Sounds not working?

Hi, have you checked this?

System Sounds not working? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jan 5, 2018
  5. Holy crap...I'm an idiot.

No, I never thought to check the volume mixer as I've never touched it!!! I only ever adjust the volume period with the slider you get when clicking on the sound icon next to the clock, yet when I went into the mixer, ALL the volumes were out of wack! Why would that happen??? 0_o

Thanks for the reminder though...sometimes the simplest solutions are the best....sorry for my stupidity, haha!

Darkstrike, Jan 5, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    *Thumbs don't worry, plenty of harder ones round the corner..

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System Sounds not working?

1. System Sounds not working? - Similar Threads - System Sounds working

2. System sounds not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System sounds not working: Sort of two problems. First the system sounds will not play at all e.g. - clicking, opening stuff ect. Second I previously had Windows 7 and used the "Calligraphy" theme. I really liked these sound effects however there is no way to add them with Windows 11. Have these theme...
  3. System sounds not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System sounds not working: Sort of two problems. First the system sounds will not play at all e.g. - clicking, opening stuff ect. Second I previously had Windows 7 and used the "Calligraphy" theme. I really liked these sound effects however there is no way to add them with Windows 11. Have these theme...
  4. System sounds don’t and work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System sounds don’t and work.: If system dialog appears, there is no system sound. But they don’t play not only on system dialogs – also when I press NUM Lock/Caps Lock/Scroll Lock there is the feature to set sound accompaniments by pressing those keys in accessibility settings. System sounds are playing...
  5. System sounds don’t and work.

System sounds don’t and work.: If system dialog appears, there is no system sound. But they don’t play not only on system dialogs – also when I press NUM Lock/Caps Lock/Scroll Lock there is the feature to set sound accompaniments by pressing those keys in accessibility settings. System sounds are playing...
  6. Sound/Display System not working?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound/Display System not working?: So first, I think most of problems I'm having right now is due to the fact that I'm not exactly sure what this is called not the characters, nor do I know which section this type of UI would belong to sound, display, or something else?, and thus cannot properly search up what...
  7. Sound/Display System not working?

Sound/Display System not working?: So first, I think most of problems I'm having right now is due to the fact that I'm not exactly sure what this is called not the characters, nor do I know which section this type of UI would belong to sound, display, or something else?, and thus cannot properly search up what...
  8. Sound System Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound System Not Working: I have no sound on my Windows 10 computer. I even bought a USB sound card, but nothing. The devices appear in device manager and with no errors. I tried everything on the web, but nothing. My PC is Lenovo ThinkPad L480 workstation and it's very frustrating that my sound is...
  9. Windows System Sounds Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows System Sounds Not Working: Hello I'm having a strange issue on my Windows 10 desktop. All sounds are working fine (Music etc.), EXCEPT the System Sounds (recycle bin delete noise, Windows startup sound, etc). I can watch Youtube, listen to music, do voice chat, etc and all that fine there, but cannot...
  10. Windows System Sounds Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows System Sounds Not Working: Hello I'm having a strange issue on my Windows 10 desktop. All sounds are working fine (Music etc.), EXCEPT the System Sounds (recycle bin delete noise, Windows startup sound, etc). I can watch Youtube, listen to music, do voice chat, etc and all that fine there, but cannot...