Windows 10: System tray icons display on bootup but disappear after an app is opened

Discus and support System tray icons display on bootup but disappear after an app is opened in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This issue didn't begin until recently so I am assuming it was due to a recent Windows update. I have Windows 10 Home version, 10.0.19043 Build 19043.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkHooge, Jun 17, 2021.

1. MarkHooge Win User

System tray icons display on bootup but disappear after an app is opened

This issue didn't begin until recently so I am assuming it was due to a recent Windows update. I have Windows 10 Home version, 10.0.19043 Build 19043. When I bootup or restart all the icons show up in the system tray . However when I open an app e.g. Outlook the icons disappear. I tried deleting the icon DB in the local folder and allow the cache to re-establish but it has not helped. This is a very recent occurrence in the last month or so. Any ideas?????

:)

MarkHooge, Jun 17, 2021

2. Tray icon disappears

I've been experiencing since the installation of Windows XP SP2 on multiple machines with the ATITool Tray Icon disappearing upon load at system startup. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. Enabling or Disabling the "Hide Inactive (tray) Icons" WinXP menu option doesn't have any effect. The only way to open ATITool after it has loaded is to go through the start menu to open it again. I have "minimize on close" selected in ATITool. When closing ATITool, you see it make the motions of minimizing to the tray area but no icon is displayed. Any ideas?

djshowergel, Jun 17, 2021
  3. Disappearing System Tray icon

In my case, when it disappears it is not just hidden. It is not displayed in either the system Tray or in the list of hidden icons.

This happens only on a computer that is accessed via RDP. It always happens on 1 computer that I always access with RDP. I was also able to reproduce it on another computer that I usually access "in person"; it happened the one time I accessed it with RDP but (after a reboot) has not happened since.

pokeefe0001, Jun 17, 2021
  4. System tray icons display on bootup but disappear after an app is opened

Disappearing System Tray icon

I have a situation where my Macrium Reflect "backup-in-progress" icon stops being displayed. I've reported this to Macrium, but I'd like to better understand what is going on ... including how System Tray (a.k.a. notification area) icons are displayed.

I'm running Win 10 2004 and (if it matters) Macrium Reflect Home 7.3.5289.

This problem regularly occurs on only 1 of my 4 computers, and appears to be associated with Remote Desktop access and/or disconnected mode.

On "attended" computers (i.e., not using RDP access) the backup icon is always displayed, either in the System Tray or in the list of hidden icons, when MR runs a backup. But access via RDP seems to mess this up. I can reproduce the problem on any (well, at least 2) of my computers by the following scheme:

1. Start with the computer in a "Locked" state.
    2. Connect to the computer using Remote Desktop.
    3. Manually start a scheduled backup. The icon appears in System Tray.
    4. Disconnect the Remote Desktop connection. This puts the computer in a Locked state but the backup runs to completion.
    5. Wait for the computer to enter Sleep state.
    6. Wake the computer with "Wake on Lan" processing and connect with Remote Desktop again.
    7. Manually start another backup. This time the icon is not displayed.
    8. Disconnect Remote Desktop and log in locally.
    9. Start another backup. The icon is still not displayed.
    10. Reboot and start another backup. The icon is displayed.

I know nothing about the Windows notification processing so this my be a really dumb question, but is there something trying to display a Systems Tray icon while Windows is running disconnected that would make Windows flag the icon as unusable? I know that can't be universal since I have most of my System Tray icons seem bothered by this.

pokeefe0001, Jun 17, 2021
Thema:

System tray icons display on bootup but disappear after an app is opened

1. System tray icons display on bootup but disappear after an app is opened - Similar Threads - System tray icons

2. System Tray Icons Disappear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Tray Icons Disappear: When I start my computer sometimes icons in the system tray don't appear. I have them setup to appear too. Is this some sort of bug and why wasn't it ever fixed?...
  3. System Tray Icons Disappear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Tray Icons Disappear: When I start my computer sometimes icons in the system tray don't appear. I have them setup to appear too. Is this some sort of bug and why wasn't it ever fixed?...
  4. System Tray icons keep disappearing

System Tray icons keep disappearing: A lot of system tray icons are disappearing by themselves, usually when I launch a game and then exit. For example, I use the SpyderXPro program to load my color profile. Sometimes the color profile resets and I'll have to manually right click the SpyderXPro icon and then...
  5. System Tray icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray icons keep disappearing: A lot of system tray icons are disappearing by themselves, usually when I launch a game and then exit. For example, I use the SpyderXPro program to load my color profile. Sometimes the color profile resets and I'll have to manually right click the SpyderXPro icon and then...
  6. System Tray Icon Will Not Display.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Tray Icon Will Not Display.: Win 10 x64On my system tray I have several icons for running programs. I know to to set them up to display.One of the programs is running, as confirmed by various methods but refuses to display on the system tray.The icon is activated but it just does not show. As all the...
  7. System Tray Icon Will Not Display.

System Tray Icon Will Not Display.: Win 10 x64On my system tray I have several icons for running programs. I know to to set them up to display.One of the programs is running, as confirmed by various methods but refuses to display on the system tray.The icon is activated but it just does not show. As all the...
  8. System Tray Icon Will Not Display.

9. Disappearing System Tray icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearing System Tray icon: I have a situation where my Macrium Reflect "backup-in-progress" icon stops being displayed. I've reported this to Macrium, but I'd like to better understand what is going on ... including how System Tray (a.k.a. notification area) icons are displayed. I'm running Win 10...
  10. Icons disappear from system tray

Icons disappear from system tray: Hi, I have already performed the following: Right-click on an empty space in your desktop taskbar and select Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, find the selection labeled Notification Area and click on Customize. Click on Turn system icons on or...