Windows 10: System Tray seems broken after Windows Update

Discus and support System Tray seems broken after Windows Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since a Windows Update a few days ago, my system tray has been acting very strange. Sometimes it seems like it's being limited to a certain, very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lady Sil, May 30, 2021.

1. Lady Sil Win User

System Tray seems broken after Windows Update

Ever since a Windows Update a few days ago, my system tray has been acting very strange. Sometimes it seems like it's being limited to a certain, very small, width--about 3 program icons' worth or so; with the volume and network icons enabled, the clock is just slightly running off the edge of the screen. If any program icons are set to "always show", the tray gains left/right scroll buttons and stops refreshing properly. Sometimes the entire system tray will disappear--the whole right end of the taskbar is blank, no clock, no system icons, no program icons, no "hidden program icons" up-arrow, nothing. Right-clicking on the space where those items should be just brings up the normal taskbar-empty-space right-click menu. Every now and then (after rebooting the comp or restarting Explorer, mainly) it will briefly return to normal, but this never lasts long; it goes weird again as soon as anything prompts a change to the tray's layout. Short of reinstalling Windows entirely, I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, but nothing has worked. Any ideas? (OS build 19041.1023)

:)

Lady Sil, May 30, 2021

2. Lost clock and calendar from system tray after update on September 25, 2016

Hi,

There are several reasons why this issue happens. To help you resolve this concern, we suggest that you adjust the height of the system tray. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the system tray.
    • Make sure that the Lock all taskbars
      option is unchecked.
    • Try positioning your cursor at the top edge of the system tray until you see a vertical line with arrows at both tips.
    • Hold the left mouse button down and drag the edge of the system tray upward to expand it.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, May 30, 2021
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Malwarebytes Premium icon no longer in System Tray after latest update

Hello Lynn,

One possible reason why the software icon is missing on the system tray from your desktop is may be due to missing or corrupted system files. In order for us to isolate the issue, we'd like to ask the following:

• We'd like to clarify, which Windows update are you referring? Is it Fall Creators Update?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages before or after setting your program to show up in the system tray?

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ernie San, May 30, 2021
  4. System Tray seems broken after Windows Update

How to recover hidden icon in System tray on Windows 10?

Hi Callum,

As you are facing issues with un-hiding the icon in System tray, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know which is the icon you have deleted from the system tray for better assistance?

I suggest you to try the below steps to add the icons to Taskbar and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, click on Settings.
    • Click on System> Notifications & actions.
    • Click on Select which icons appear on taskbar (to select the icons that appear on Taskbar)
      and also click on Turn system icons on or off

Hope it helps. If the issue still persists, let us know with brief description for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 30, 2021
Thema:

System Tray seems broken after Windows Update

1. System Tray seems broken after Windows Update - Similar Threads - System Tray seems

2. Older PC seems broken after February 2023 Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Older PC seems broken after February 2023 Update?: Hello,This question is all about my first build pc, I bought and installed everything back in 2015 and was still running strong until Sunday last week. The pc's main drive NvMe m.2 SSD has Windows 10 Pro 22H2 installed on it and was perfectly fine when it worked. There is...
  3. Older PC seems broken after February 2023 Update?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Older PC seems broken after February 2023 Update?: Hello,This question is all about my first build pc, I bought and installed everything back in 2015 and was still running strong until Sunday last week. The pc's main drive NvMe m.2 SSD has Windows 10 Pro 22H2 installed on it and was perfectly fine when it worked. There is...
  4. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.: Hello I'm looking for some help in fixing my windows update. I feel like I've tried everything short of a fresh install of windows, which I'm trying to avoid if possible. Let me lay out the situation and what I've tried It originally began with the PC having poor performance...
  5. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.: Hello I'm looking for some help in fixing my windows update. I feel like I've tried everything short of a fresh install of windows, which I'm trying to avoid if possible. Let me lay out the situation and what I've tried It originally began with the PC having poor performance...
  6. Windows update broken, nothing seems to fix it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. System Tray seems broken after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Tray seems broken after Windows Update: Ever since a Windows Update a few days ago, my system tray has been acting very strange.Sometimes it seems like it's being limited to a certain, very small, width--about 3 program icons' worth or so; with the volume and network icons enabled, the clock is just slightly...
  8. windows update seems to have broken motherboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows update seems to have broken motherboard: As I turned my desktop on this morning 21,03,2020 windows started updating, when it was finished my HDMI ports stopped working. luckily my spare monitor is using DVI so still worked. Now windows had booted in a different aspect ratio than normal and there were a few things...
  9. Windows 10 update seems to broken OneDrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update seems to broken OneDrive: Problem with updates today (kb4505903 OR kb508433 OR kb4509096 OR kb506991 OR kb4497932) ! Don't know which one as win update did them all. It seems to have broken "OneDrive". comes up with "OneDrive.exe - Bad Image" on a file called gdiplus.dll. Others seem to report...
  10. System tray and task bar seem to be frozen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    System tray and task bar seem to be frozen.: All of the sudden, the buttons don't work anymore. The app store button opens it briefly and then shuts it down. Same with Microsoft Edge. The battery status button doesn't work, same with the date/clock button, the keyboard and windows ink buttons. And most important,...