Windows 10: System very slow, Task Mgr shows disk 100%. Need help troubleshooting

Discus and support System very slow, Task Mgr shows disk 100%. Need help troubleshooting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, This is actually happening to a friends computer. The computer is a couple years old and is almost solely used for gaming. The disk is a 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SJMaye, Sep 27, 2019.

1. SJMaye Win User

System very slow, Task Mgr shows disk 100%. Need help troubleshooting

Hello,

This is actually happening to a friends computer. The computer is a couple years old and is almost solely used for gaming. The disk is a 1TB traditional hard disk with only 300GB being used. He reports that every time he starts the computer up it runs ultra slow. Checking the task manager he sees that disk usage is at 100% and a process called "System" is running around 98% of that. This goes on for maybe 20 minutes and then settles down. "System" disk usage drops down to 50% and lower. Then the computer runs as it should.

He reports his antivirus scans show nothing. I am trying to help him troubleshoot this computer, but I am 1800 miles away. Can anyone here help me with some troubleshooting tips?

:)

SJMaye, Sep 27, 2019
  2. JOSEPHMX Win User

Task Mgr showing disk 100% full under processes, disk has 620GB free.

My windows 10 has task mgr showing my disk 100% full and everything is running slow and crashing, all my browsers (2), word, Adobe, Excel, they all flash in and out. I have been online reading fixes for this issue for a month now and have done everything
    everyone in your community and on your site has instructed others to do and nothing has fixed it. this has apparently been an issue for a long time, why can't you fix your operating systems. Windows 10 destroyed my last laptop and now this one in on its way
    out because of windows 10.

JOSEPHMX, Sep 27, 2019
  3. Tomcl3 Win User
    Task Mgr show 100% disk utilization system has become slow 12/11/2016

Date - 12/11/2016

Over the past few weeks my system loading screens have slowed to a crawl. With over 220K results in looking at answers.microsoft I thought it best to reapply the question on the current condition/date especially since I can find no way to sort that number
    of results.

Rig - W10, (installed 8/11/16 - auto update on) Dell, i7, 8G mem w/NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 upgrade (Sept 2016).

As I stated, the load screens over the past 3 weeks (maybe 4) have slowed down to a crawl and now I notice the Task Mgr shows 100% disk utilization.

Having looked at several articles and community threads there are a hodgepodge of remedies floating around and with 6 hours dinking around trying some of them out, the problem continues to exist. Yes, I have run malware software, Symantec Rootkit, disk maint
    & optimization, deleted some newer software downloads but not all with the exceptions being newer entries which are updates of previously used programs. I've updated my drivers and deleted the normal temp files, etc.

In looking at the help section from Microsoft, it addresses this issue as it relates to the specific
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller. Mine is listed as a Intel 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller with the driver being /iaStorA.sys which indicates to me I'm not running the 'inbox driver'. I did follow the thread through the Regit solution,
    though HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\ \Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
    once I arrived at the highlighted path, it was not available.

So is there a one stop solution to finding a fix to this disk usage problem?

While I'm not a pro, I don't see myself stupid about computers. I would love to see some consensus in the answers if that is possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Tomcl3, Sep 27, 2019
  4. TimGrandt Win User

Clean install, disk usage at 100%

I've seen that article. and I am in fact not running that driver. I followed the steps and it does not appear in the list.

TimGrandt, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

1. System very slow, Task Mgr shows disk 100%. Need help troubleshooting - Similar Threads - System very slow

2. Slow computer, disk 100% in task manager.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow computer, disk 100% in task manager.: [ATTACH] Hi all, I noticed recently that my computer was running a little slow. In fact, on 08.03.2021 it wouldn't even open a PowerPoint document (albeit a big one). I opened up task manager and noticed that the disk was running at 100%. Having googled it I tried several...
  3. 100% Disk help needed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk help needed: So, my task manager shows that the dis is 100% and is decreasing my performance. In my Task manager, i see: 1. User host font driver consuming my memory and disk 2 system And some more NOTE: I TRIED ALL PROCESSES LIKE. DISABLING SOME THINGS AND ALL. Tried virtual memory...
  4. windows 10 PC very slow. Task manager shows disk usage at 100%.

windows 10 PC very slow. Task manager shows disk usage at 100%.: how can I troubleshoot why my new, windows 10, update 2002 PC is running so slow? Especially for the first 10 minutes after PC startup. When I run task manager the disk usage percent shows as 100%. The top processes are microsoft anti maleware, google chrome installer,...
  5. 100% disk usage on Windows 10, and the system is very slow.

100% disk usage on Windows 10, and the system is very slow.: 100% disk usage on Windows 10, and the system is very slow, please help to get this fixed. Let me know if any further details required. Thanks, John...
  6. System very slow, Task Mgr shows disk 100%. Need help troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System very slow, Task Mgr shows disk 100%. Need help troubleshooting: Hello, This is actually happening to a friends computer. The computer is a couple years old and is almost solely used for gaming. The disk is a 1TB traditional hard disk with only 300GB being used. He reports that every time he starts the computer up it runs ultra slow....
  7. task manager, disk is showing 100%

task manager, disk is showing 100%: my laptop is showing 100% disk usage.The one i noticed are windows remidation services,ms compatibility teleme...,windows modules installer. can some one help me to fix this problem. thank you!...
  8. Task Mgr showing disk 100% full under processes, disk has 620GB free.

Task Mgr showing disk 100% full under processes, disk has 620GB free.: My windows 10 has task mgr showing my disk 100% full and everything is running slow and crashing, all my browsers (2), word, Adobe, Excel, they all flash in and out. I have been online reading fixes for this issue for a month now and have done everything everyone in your...
  9. Task manager show 100% disk

Task manager show 100% disk: My task manager shows 100% disk in process tab and my pc isn't booting fast as it was earlier i formatted the pc and reinstalled but the same thing again i can't play games...
  10. System process reading disk 100% and making the system very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System process reading disk 100% and making the system very slow: I found out that the hard disk is 100% utilized. In Task Manager, the process that utilizes the disk the most is ESET Service. If I open Resource Monitor there are many instances of the System process that are reading the disk, not writing it. I have two partitions on my disk...