Windows 10: System volume information

Discus and support System volume information in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A friend of mine put my pendrive into his pc, after inserting it into pc later I found a fold named system volume information, curiously I clicked on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nakdickson, Nov 1, 2018.

1. System volume information

A friend of mine put my pendrive into his pc, after inserting it into pc later I found a fold named system volume information, curiously I clicked on the file in the folder and there was a pop up like command prompt,then nothing happened. After a while all my desktop apps won't start anymore( keeps saying it's not a valid app and I should find a compatible version) only store apps are left intact. Am guessing it's some kind of virus, But scanning doesn't fix it. How do I get rid other it?

:)

nakdickson, Nov 1, 2018

2. Removing errant files in the "System Volume Information" folder under Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

I suggest you to first stop Volume Shadow Copy service and try to remove the files and check. Follow the steps provided below:

Step 1: Stop Volume Shadow Copy service

• Press Windows logo Key + R key.

• Type services.msc.

• Search for Volume Shadow Copy service.

• Right click on it and select
      Stop.
    Now, take ownership of the System volume Information folder and then try to delete its contents.

Step 2: File permissions.

• Right click on System volume Information folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Select the user name.
    • Click on Edit button.
    • Under permission to Authenticated user, check on full control.
    • Click on Apply and OK button.

Hope it helps. Do let us know the status of the issue. If you need further assistance, get back to us. We will be glad to assist you.

Syed Md Bilal, Nov 1, 2018
  3. System Volume Information contains redundant historical "System Volume Information" files using 80% of my disk

Hi,

There are different options available in the Windows 10 operating system that allow you to manage the disk drives on your computer. This includes formatting disk drives or cleaning up junk files.
    The system volume information folder contains the system restore point entries,
    data used by the content indexing service databases that speed up your file searches, the volume shadow copy service for backups, and the distributed link tracking service databases used to repair shortcuts and links.

Usually, it is not recommended to delete the entries from the System volume information since Windows needs this files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly attempt the steps below to shrink the size of the System Volume Information
    folder:

• Press the Windows key + x to open the Quick link menu and from the list select
      Control panel.
    • Select System and Security and then from the options presented choose
      System.
    • On the left had the panel of the System information window, select the option
      System protection.
    • Once you have the System properties window open, select the
      System protection tab and then click on the button labeled configure.
    • You can now control how much disk space Windows uses for System Restore points.

Once you complete the steps you can now attempt to delete the folder and check if this improves the storage space you have on the disk drives.

We look forward to your response once you complete the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 1, 2018
  4. System volume information

System Volume Information contains redundant historical "System Volume Information" files using 80% of my disk

Thanks for providing the additional details regarding your concern as well as the diagnostic steps that you have completed. Since the files in the system volume information folder still remain and were not removed with the steps provided, we suggest that
    you follow the steps on this
    link
    to run a disk cleanup so that the unused system files and cache can be removed from your computer.

Regards.

Jordan Dom, Nov 1, 2018
Thema:

System volume information

1. System volume information - Similar Threads - System volume information

2. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Volume Information: Hi.These files appeared in the System Volume Information system folder and they are not deleted.If they are harmful viruses, then how to remove them?I'm attaching a screenshot....
  3. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Volume Information: Hi.These files appeared in the System Volume Information system folder and they are not deleted.If they are harmful viruses, then how to remove them?I'm attaching a screenshot....
  4. ' System Volume Information '

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ' System Volume Information ': Hey guys! hope ya'll having a great day. i actually have a problem with partitioning disks. I want to make a 150 gb partition for dual boot. but its not letting me split more than 70 gb whereas I have 370 gb of free space. I surfed through number of videos and a guy said its...
  5. ' System Volume Information '

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ' System Volume Information ': Hey guys! hope ya'll having a great day. i actually have a problem with partitioning disks. I want to make a 150 gb partition for dual boot. but its not letting me split more than 70 gb whereas I have 370 gb of free space. I surfed through number of videos and a guy said its...
  6. system Volume Information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system Volume Information: Hi Please assist Approximately 2 weeks ago,Microsoft Came into my Computer & Downloaded the Lastest Version of Windows 10 Before that downloaded the latest Version of Windows 10 I Had 1-C Drive & 1-D Drive for storage Now I Have C Drive,F Drive System Reserve + G Drive &...
  7. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Volume Information: Since last update 20H2 this folders appears in my Downloads directory. The folder is empty. I tried to delete the System Volume Information folder but it returns when I reboot my pc. Hope you can help me. Regards submitted by /u/yayyy_amd [link] [comments]...
  8. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Volume Information: I make my backups in D drive and have turned the system protection off from the control panel. I backup using the windows 7 backup and restore from the control panel . The issue that whenever I do it the System Volume Info folder in the E drive starts filling automatically....
  9. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Volume Information: [ATTACH] The drive is empty, no trash, excluded from trash, no indexing, no restore point. Nevertheless, SVI is consuming 310 MB. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-volume-information/e1862c4e-e3a1-4f91-ac4d-3ba3c506c262"
  10. System Volume Information

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Volume Information: Is it possible to consolidate the System Volume Information on my HDD, it is currently spread in quite a few places on my hard drive and wish to consolidate it all into one place on my HDD, Is this possible?...