Windows 10: System wakes from hibernation but boots up as if totally shut down

Discus and support System wakes from hibernation but boots up as if totally shut down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I hope I'm explaining this problem clearly. Hibernation doesn't seem to be working correctly on my system. The problem has been going on for at least a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Jan 29, 2020.

1. x509 Win User

System wakes from hibernation but boots up as if totally shut down

I hope I'm explaining this problem clearly. Hibernation doesn't seem to be working correctly on my system. The problem has been going on for at least a month, maybe longer, maybe since I upgraded to 1909. I need help in interpreting the error message and fixing the problem.

After hibernating my system in the evening, the next morning I can always wake it up by pressing a key on the keyboard. That's what you would expect when the system is in hibernation mode. However, it boots up as though it had been shut down completely. This problem occurs only if I hibernate the system from the Power options. If the system hibernates during the day because I am not using it, there is no problem with restarting from hibernation.

For about a week now, I have been running the powercfg command, but I don't get any useful information.

System wakes from hibernation but boots up as if totally shut down [​IMG]

So this morning I looked at the event log, something I don't always do. I found 25 of this same critical event, going back to December 16.

Some of these event times are in the morning, when I started up my system for the day. Other events are like 1:47 am, several hours after I hibernated the system or other times in the early morning. I didn't understand the explanation:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So I looked at the details for the last event. For "system" here is the detail (omitting the name of the system)

Here is the "event data" detail:

How do I track down and fix this problem?

(If you see another screenshot below, please ignore it. It shows up in the preview. I thought I had deleted it from the post, but somehow it persisted.)

:)

2. x509 Win User

I hope I'm explaining this problem clearly. Hibernation doesn't seem to be working correctly on my system. The problem has been going on for at least a month, maybe longer, maybe since I upgraded to 1909. I need help in interpreting the error message and fixing the problem.

After hibernating my system in the evening, the next morning I can always wake it up by pressing a key on the keyboard. That's what you would expect when the system is in hibernation mode. However, it boots up as though it had been shut down completely. This problem occurs only if I hibernate the system from the Power options. If the system hibernates during the day because I am not using it, there is no problem with restarting from hibernation.

For about a week now, I have been running the powercfg command, but I don't get any useful information.

So this morning I looked at the event log, something I don't always do. I found 25 of this same critical event, going back to December 16.

Some of these event times are in the morning, when I started up my system for the day. Other events are like 1:47 am, several hours after I hibernated the system or other times in the early morning. I didn't understand the explanation:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So I looked at the details for the last event. For "system" here is the detail (omitting the name of the system)

Here is the "event data" detail:

How do I track down and fix this problem?

(If you see another screenshot below, please ignore it. It shows up in the preview. I thought I had deleted it from the post, but somehow it persisted.)

3. yakideo Win User
    S4 (hibernation) USB/network wake up

Hi,

I have this annoying problem. When my computer enters the S4 powerstate (hibernation) I can wake it up by just clicking with the mouse. Even when EuP is enabled the mouse can still wake up the computer. After a night of sleep I find the computer powered on. So not only can the mouse wake up the system, it also seems that network traffic can too.

I thought that hibernation was like power off but with the option to save the RAM to disk. At least before I always need to push the power button to boot after hibernation.

Any suggestions?

Asus P7P55D-E
    Windows 7

yakideo, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Alan Zac Win User

System waked up automatically after Shut Down

Hi,

I am having an issue with my system after upgrading from windows 7 to 10. When I Shut Down my system, it wakes up automatically after some time.

I performed several solution which I found on different forums but none of them resolved my problem yet.

I did the following tasks:

• Disabled WOL(wake up on LAN), wake up on magic packet etc.
    • Disabled Hibernate option.
    • Disabled auto maintenance schedule
    • Reset the sleep settings to shutdown
    • Changed Power management setting of Network adopter
    • Changed the power settings from BIOS
    • Disabled the wake up option from mouse and keyboard.
    • Updated the windows
    • Scanned the system from Malware & Virus threads
    Can anyone suggest me the best possible solution for this issue as I have already performed so many tasks. This is an annoying issue and effecting my System health

Waiting for kind help

Thanks

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Alan Zac, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

1. System wakes from hibernation but boots up as if totally shut down - Similar Threads - System wakes hibernation

2. New AMD system, started shutting down when waking from hibernation. Please help.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New AMD system, started shutting down when waking from hibernation. Please help.: My computer shuts down while booting up from a hibernated state.Once running, it doesn't crash and when i shut it down and restart , its still fine.Problem happens only when I hibernate my pc and then start it back up , it shuts down just after loading windows appears and...
  3. Wake up laptop with external keyboard/mouse whilst it is in hibernate or it shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake up laptop with external keyboard/mouse whilst it is in hibernate or it shut down: Hi Guys, is there a way to wake up a laptop with external keyboard/mouse whilst it is in hibernate mode or off? submitted by /u/ZestycloseServe94 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mhfa1h/wake_up_laptop_with_external_keyboardmouse_whilst/
  4. Shuts down internet when waking up/booting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shuts down internet when waking up/booting?: I've had a problem with my computer since I built it. Not 100% sure it's a windows issue but I don't know what else it could be: When waking up from sleep or when booting the computer, it completely shuts down my network, causing my router to have to reboot, which takes...
  5. System waking from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    System waking from hibernate: I have used gpedit.msc to set Enable Windows Update Power Management to disabled but still I come back to my laptop after hibernating it and find it is awake and that powercfg -lastwake shows: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0]...
  6. PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate: A few Preview builds have been acting strangely. If I put computer to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself and keeps doing in the loop. Seems like it's happening during the night. Any idea? Thanks 105289
  7. HIbernate or shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    HIbernate or shut down?: I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the...
  8. Windows shuts down after waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows shuts down after waking up from sleep: This problem happened for me last week but after a system restore it was seemingly fixed. After having to restart my computer again however, it's come back: every time I put Windows in sleep mode and turn it back on, it instantly shuts off. Not even a blue screen, it just...
  9. Laptop immediately waking up from sleep and shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop immediately waking up from sleep and shut down: As the title says, when I put the laptop to sleep it boots up right away, when I do a full shut down, it turns off, boots up after 2 seconds, fails while making a strange sound, then boots up again normally This has been bothering me for three weeks now, I have looked...
  10. Windows shuts down after waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows shuts down after waking up from sleep: This issue's surfaced for me since this morning. Whenever I put Windows to sleep, either manually or closing my lid, it shuts down the instant I start it back up. How do I figure out the cause of this and how to fix it? 11121