Windows 10: System-wide freezing with VeraCrypt system drive encryption

Discus and support System-wide freezing with VeraCrypt system drive encryption in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have this problem for a while now. I use VeraCrypt for the system Windows drive and other volumes. When memory usage is heavy usually because of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hardc, Oct 21, 2020.

1. hardc Win User

System-wide freezing with VeraCrypt system drive encryption

I have this problem for a while now. I use VeraCrypt for the system Windows drive and other volumes. When memory usage is heavy usually because of Firefox Portable, eventually everything freezes, and the disk I/O LED at my notebook becomes unlit indefinitely. The only way out of this is doing a hard power off.

I have 6 GB of RAM an use a 12 GB swap file on the system volume.

Other users on the net are experiencing this as well. This seems related to a Windows upgrade, maybe version 1809.

https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/discussion/general/thread/f6e7f623d0/

https://www.reddit.com/r/VeraCrypt/comments/gmy5eu/veracrypt_freezes_under_windows_10/

:)

hardc, Oct 21, 2020
  2. Veranon Win User

How to encrypt a dual boot system with Veracrypt?

No wipe needed. OSes are always on their own partition. Veracrypt can only encrypt a Windows system and only if using BIOS vs UEFI. The dev has stated that there are no plans for *nix systems support. If you want your Linux system encrypted, look into dm-crypt and LUKS. Also, you seem to misunderstand Veracrypt's system encryption capability. It doesn't support full-disk encryption; only the Windows system partition itself. The restore and recovery partitions are not encrypted.

If you have multiple Windows partitions (normal or hidden and normal), the bootloader should only show a password input field. It's your responsibility to remember the password and know which OS it unlocks. Each bootable partition would use it's own password. No idea what happens if you choose to put the same password for different systems.

As long as you have Veracrypt installed on both, you will be able to access Veracrypt-encrypted partitions on any drive connected.

Veranon, Oct 21, 2020
  3. Ramhound Win User
    Best way to encrypt the system drive on Windows

BitLocker is the Windows equivalent of FileVault.

VeraCrypt supports FDE of the system disk, in other words, you can encrypt the disk Windows is installed on.

Backing up your recovery key is an optional step, BitLocker, can be used on a system without a TPM. So, unfortunately, it seems you have eliminated the only two methods, to accomplish Full Disk Encryption with Windows (BitLocker and VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt).

Ramhound, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Liam Win User

How to encrypt a dual boot system with Veracrypt?

I want to dual boot Windows 10 alongside Arch Linux on 1 SSD. The SSD is 465GB and I want to use Veracrypt to encrypt the hard drive and enable pre-boot authentication.

I haven't attempted to do this as of yet as I cannot find any information about this on the Veracrypt website.

Would I have to wipe the drive, split it in to two partitions then install the respective operating systems on to their partitions? What about after that? I can encrypt the system using Veracrypt when I'm logged in to my Windows OS for example but would this encrypt the Linux partition as well?

Would they use the same pre-boot password and would I be able to choose which operating system to boot in to from Veracrypt's boot loader?

Furthermore, if I encrypt a non-system partition that is part of a different hard drive than which the operating systems are installed on, would I be able to access the encrypted partition from both operating systems without any trouble?

Thema:

1. System-wide freezing with VeraCrypt system drive encryption - Similar Threads - System wide freezing

2. System-wide stutter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System-wide stutter: Hello. I have had my PC for 1 1/2 years now and I have had this issue before. I don't know what causes it to start but for some reason, it decides to stutter. The fix last time was to install a fresh copy of windows, but that didn't work this time. I am very confused and...
  3. System wide reminders?

System wide reminders?: Is there any software with which you can set up a reminder through a shortcut, regardless of where you are in windows? Ideally, I’d love to have one where you can use natural language. For example, "in 10 minutes remind me to call John". This is some thing I was able to do on...
  4. Image of Veracrypt encrypted system drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image of Veracrypt encrypted system drive: I use a laptop with a Veracrypt encrypted system drive (yes I know I could use Bitlocker but no, I don't trust Microsoft when it comes to encryption). Now I want to create an image of the drive using Macrium Reflect booted from a USB thumb drive. Would that work? And if it...
  5. Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?"

Veracrypt alongside "device encryption?": Hi everyone, I just got a new laptop running Windows 10 Home and I'm going through all the steps to secure my device and set everything up. I was planning on using VeraCrypt for drive encryption, but noticed that "Device Encryption" is already enabled. I didn't really know...
  6. System wide VPN connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System wide VPN connection: I have a vpn connection to a windows server L2tp, that works ok. But i have several user accounts on this windows 10 professional computer, and each of the users needs to be connected to the same vpn server ... using their own login, but that is not a requirement, as long...
  7. BitLocker-encrypted UFDs freeze the system (sometimes)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker-encrypted UFDs freeze the system (sometimes): I insert the UFD, the window to enter the password to unlock it doesn't appear. I open Windows Explorer and click on the UFD. Explorer freezes, a rotating circle appears. Task Manager doesn´t open. I continue working anyway. Word freezes, then the whole system. If I unplug...
  8. Changing System Wide Font

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing System Wide Font: Good Afternoon, Win 10 Pro x64. Fully up to date as of 25-AUG-2015 @ 1647. I still cannot change the font system wide. Can someone please provide me with a Orthodox method to change the system font? Orthodox = non registry hacking. The "Install" button is still...
  9. Veracrypt not possible with GPT drive system

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Veracrypt not possible with GPT drive system: you see the image attached? hi btw *Smile I want to encrypt my computer but veracrypt seems to be incompatible with GUID. can I keep my windows installation and convert to MBR so that I can encrypt? Or should I go with the now dated and discontinued truecrypt? are...
  10. System wide lag with new hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System wide lag with new hard drive: Hey guys I've tried looking for some sort of solution elsewhere but to no avail. I'm using the windows 10 creators update and since changing out my HDD for a new one a month ago (and a new SSD to boot from) my computer lags constantly I can't do any two tasks at the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problems with windows 10 freezing veracrypt

2. windows 10 freezing veracrypt