Windows 10: System won't boot with Ext HDDs connected - started in January

Discus and support System won't boot with Ext HDDs connected - started in January in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For as long as I can remember getting my hands on External HDDs Ive had them connected as media drives (movies, music, images, etc.). Ive never had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by varxtis, Sep 24, 2019.

1. varxtis Win User

System won't boot with Ext HDDs connected - started in January

For as long as I can remember getting my hands on External HDDs Ive had them connected as media drives (movies, music, images, etc.). Ive never had to disconnect them, whether I wanted to put the PC to sleep and wake up, turn it off and back on, restart, or an update was included in any of those processes.

Well suddenly, back in January, my system freezes at the processor/motherboard screen (see attached) when it's restarted or turned off then on (Sleep and wake are fine), when External HDDs are connected. I don't even have enough time to access the bios or boot list. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but Microsoft pushes it's updates whether I want it or not, and my PC is in an inconvenient spot. I have two HDDs connected, and I've tried it with either of them connected by themselves, alternating USB ports, it's the same regardless.

The system/PC-Build has been the same for years. I don't believe I did any firmware updates to the motherboard or processor during that time.

Does anyone have any Ideas on this issue?

System won't boot with Ext HDDs connected - started in January [​IMG]

:)

varxtis, Sep 24, 2019
  2. varxtis Win User

For as long as I can remember getting my hands on External HDDs Ive had them connected as media drives (movies, music, images, etc.). Ive never had to disconnect them, whether I wanted to put the PC to sleep and wake up, turn it off and back on, restart, or an update was included in any of those processes.

Well suddenly, back in January, my system freezes at the processor/motherboard screen (see attached) when it's restarted or turned off then on (Sleep and wake are fine), when External HDDs are connected. I don't even have enough time to access the bios or boot list. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but Microsoft pushes it's updates whether I want it or not, and my PC is in an inconvenient spot. I have two HDDs connected, and I've tried it with either of them connected by themselves, alternating USB ports, it's the same regardless.

The system/PC-Build has been the same for years. I don't believe I did any firmware updates to the motherboard or processor during that time.

Does anyone have any Ideas on this issue?

System won't boot with Ext HDDs connected - started in January [​IMG]

varxtis, Sep 24, 2019
  3. varxtis Win User

@Samuria - I appreciate any suggestions, but wouldn't a dead/half-dead battery affect other system processes?
    What would setting the Ext HDD to active do? how do I do that?

varxtis, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Kyhi Win User

In the case of legacy (CSM - MBR) support the Bios would see the drive as a Boot Drive..
    Same if at one point you cloned the drive.. Due to Matching GUID's

Thema:

1. System won't boot with Ext HDDs connected - started in January - Similar Threads - System won't boot

2. Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?: I am curious to know the procedure for removing HDDS, SDD's and Flash Drives please.I used to just unplug them when they completed the chores I had given them. But lately I have heard that can cause "failure to connect because of Parameter errors". What's correct?TIA -...
  3. Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?: I am curious to know the procedure for removing HDDS, SDD's and Flash Drives please.I used to just unplug them when they completed the chores I had given them. But lately I have heard that can cause "failure to connect because of Parameter errors". What's correct?TIA -...
  4. Are Ext HDDs Hot Bootable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. system won't boot alone

in Windows 10 Customization
    system won't boot alone: i have a system drive with windows installed and a data drive with just data. when I tried to remove data drive system drive won't boot. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-wont-boot-alone/53887d7c-4267-4a55-903d-48d8cddb98cc
  6. Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Formatting Ext Hard Drive for System Image: I'm using Windows 10 version 1909. If I want to make a system image, can I format the external drive using NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? Do all three formats work? 175544
  7. HDDs

HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  8. can not boot with extra hdds connected ?

can not boot with extra hdds connected ?: My system has been stable for years.....but recently - with no hardware changes - my system will not boot with certain SSDs HDDs attached inside the box. What happens is startup freezes at press F2 or Del to enter bios and boot device error red led light blinking on the board...
  9. Lost connection to couple of HDDs

Lost connection to couple of HDDs: I recently purchased a WD MyCloud HDD. Hooked it into a vacant Ethernet port on my router and tethered another HDD through the MyCloud USB port. I'm in the process of using the setup as a backup for my other computer drives. I haven't got the setup to work properly, but my...
  10. System won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    System won't boot: The processor fan comes on for a few seconds, then goes off and repeats this action. No post beep heard. Len 83528