Windows 10: System won't recognize a new DVD drive

Discus and support System won't recognize a new DVD drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I moved a Light Scribe DVD unit from an old system to my newer one. The system does not recognize it at all. It doesn't show up in This Computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by saline, Aug 3, 2016.

1. saline Win User

System won't recognize a new DVD drive

I moved a Light Scribe DVD unit from an old system to my newer one. The system does not recognize it at all. It doesn't show up in This Computer folder, nor do I get an error. Can I get a recommendation as to what to try next?

:)

saline, Aug 3, 2016

2. External drive

all of the sudden my external drive won't run the dvd's although the driver is recognized by the system

Richard Caldwell 800, Aug 3, 2016
  3. External disk drive

Can you really not play a dvd on an external disk drive? It recognizes the dvd but won't play it. Asus K501L with windows 10.

WyattBoboltz, Aug 3, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Restart computer and press F2 Boot into Setup (Bios) on the Left panel under System Information, it should list all your drives. If the optical drive is not listed, it may have the wrong connector type or not pushed in all the way in your laptop.
    If it is listed in the Bios but not windows, Go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc, right click the devmgmt results and Run As Administrator. Is there a listing for DVDCD? if there is a yellow flag, then try this Microsoft FixIt: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

spunk, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Luulune Win User
    May be going out on a limb here, but I installed a DVD drive in my pc just 2 days ago and Windows also showed no sign of recognition, didn't show up anywhere just as you describe, though I didn't check the bios or anything at that point like spunk suggests you do. I just popped in a random music CD and suddenly windows recognized it and it worked.

Luulune, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. System won't recognize a new DVD drive - Similar Threads - System won't recognize

2. DVD ROM drives not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD ROM drives not recognized: My Dell Optiplex 7010 with Windows 10 won't detect either the built-in DVD ROM drive or the external drive I bought to replace it. The external drive appears in the "Devices and Printers" section of the Control Panel, but neither drive shows up in "This PC." The driver for...
  3. DVD ROM drives not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD ROM drives not recognized: My Dell Optiplex 7010 with Windows 10 won't detect either the built-in DVD ROM drive or the external drive I bought to replace it. The external drive appears in the "Devices and Printers" section of the Control Panel, but neither drive shows up in "This PC." The driver for...
  4. My dvd drive is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My dvd drive is not recognized: My dvd drive is not recognized by windows 10. I try play many dvd but it is not playing any dvd and I think this happen after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized/38261ea3-e7c9-4d4b-9dd4-c2be23d02d44
  5. DVD recognized but won't play DVD

DVD recognized but won't play DVD: DVD recognized but won't play DVD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-recognized-but-wont-play-dvd/e9e8dd40-aaa7-48ca-86e8-22e8cf9ca3c6
  6. dvd drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dvd drive not recognized: I upgraded windows 7 to 10 when it came out but I failed to install the dvd player at the time, I went to purchase it from microsoft but the app doesnt recognize the drive f at all and the driver say cd not dvd not sure what to do at this point *Moved from Windows Vista to...
  7. DVD drive not recognized?

DVD drive not recognized?: The DVD drive in the Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) does not recognize the CDs. [ATTACH] The CDs are shown in file managers / other programs, there the drive letter is shown: [ATTACH] Drive Manger, Win: [ATTACH] How could the CD shown by all programs? 128554
  8. DVD drive not recognized?

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD drive not recognized?: The DVD drive in the Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) does not recognize the CDs. [ATTACH] The CDs are shown in file managers / other programs, there the drive letter is shown: [ATTACH] Drive Manger, Win: [ATTACH] How could the CD shown by all programs? 128554
  9. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  10. CD/DVD drive not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized: I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had...