Windows 10: System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart

Discus and support System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have, for me, an unusual problem for which I've tried all the usual (and some unusual) fixes. None work. When my computer first boots or restarts,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eSEB, Aug 25, 2018.

1. eSEB Win User

System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart

I have, for me, an unusual problem for which I've tried all the usual (and some unusual) fixes. None work. When my computer first boots or restarts, all of the normal methods (idle time, closing lid, or selecting among the power options) produce the right results: sleep, shutdown, or restart (I have long had hibernation disabled). The results of powercfg -requests after this first successful sleep shows no requests except for PERFBOOST: [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller Power Manager. Now perhaps that's normal and this driver was involved in waking the computer moments before. In any case, powercfg -requests a minute later shows no request at all. At this point, if I close the lid, the screen goes black but the computer stays on, revs up (with activity I clearly can't see) and I can shut it down only by pushing the power button for 10 seconds. Selecting shutdown, after the one allowed successful sleep, immediately restarts the computer. If, instead of attempting shutdown or put the computer to sleep, I open the Power Options and switch to either of the other two plans (it doesn't matter which I start with or which I attempt to switch to), the computer immediately restarts (the plan I select, causing the restart, nevertheless becomes the active plan). Simply by switching power plans a restart!

I've reset by bios to default settings. Reset all the power plans to defaults. Powercgf /wake_armed = none. All of my drivers are up to date (except the graphics, which I downgraded to see whether they were the issue). In fact, the problem started after getting the latest AMD A10 8700P+Radeon R6 drivers. I wiped away all evidence of that install and cleanly installed the previous drivers that worked. So everything above occurred with and without the those drivers, but the install process, at least, may have prompted a change that remains. Though the details of the powercfg sleep study are beyond my knowledge grade, I've attached two of them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dell laptop, Inspiron 5555
    64-bit Windows 10 Home 1803 1734.112
    AMD A10-8700P
    Motherboard: Dell 0CHHXW
    12.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
    Graphics: Radeon R6
    Realtec High Definition Audio

:)

2. my computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep

these computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep ?

oscarperezvc, Aug 25, 2018
  3. Vinodh.V Win User
    ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You can create shortcut for Shutdown, restart and sleep by following the below steps:

• First right-click on the desktop, choose New and then Shortcut.
    • In the shortcut location box, you’ll need to enter the correct command, which I’ve listed for you below.
    • For Shutdown type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

• For Restart type the below command:
    Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

• For Sleep type the below command:
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

After you click Finish, you should now have a new icon that you can double-click to immediately shutdown, restart, or lock your computer.

Hope this information helps, for further assistance please reply.

Vinodh.V, Aug 25, 2018
  4. Catper Win User

ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

yeah it works but i have another problem with this combination.

Shutdown/Restart shortcut force windows to shutdown without letting other apps to save their data, that is a bit nuisance.

for eg:

Utorrent is force closed and when i start the pc, it re-calculate all the toorents in the list even those that are already downloaded and currently in seeding state. It happens when utorrent is not closed properly.

So is there any way to NORMALLY shutdown/restart/loggoff/lock windows pc?

Catper, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

1. System won't sleep (correctly) or shutdown--only restart - Similar Threads - System won't sleep

2. System is not restarting correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System is not restarting correctly: I did a Windows update today and now my laptop is trying to do a automatic repair. Mg laptop is not restarting correctly. It is not allowing me to go to Windows page, I am not able to reset my pc, I can't uninstall the update cause it requires my bitlocker recover key because...
  3. System is not restarting correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System is not restarting correctly: I did a Windows update today and now my laptop is trying to do a automatic repair. Mg laptop is not restarting correctly. It is not allowing me to go to Windows page, I am not able to reset my pc, I can't uninstall the update cause it requires my bitlocker recover key because...
  4. Windows restart/shutdown is not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows restart/shutdown is not functioning correctly: Whenever I turn on my PC everything boots just fine, but when I go to shutdown, Windows will shutdown, but not my computer, the lights are still on, it just keeps running. the only way to get back into windows is to manually power cycle it in order to get back into windows....
  5. My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts

My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts: Hello! I've been having this problem where my laptop can't shutdown. If I press shutdown, it only restarts. If I press sleep, it restarts too, same with hibernate. For now I just force shutdown my laptop by pressing and holding the power button. Please help. My laptop's...
  6. Asus ROG GL553VD won't restart/sleep/shutdown normally

Asus ROG GL553VD won't restart/sleep/shutdown normally: I have an asus rog gl553vd. Installed a new windows 10 from the media creation tool. When I select restart/sleep from the shutdown menu. The screen turns black but fans and keyboard light are on for a few minutes then the computer's turns off. I booted boto safe mode and no...
  7. Windows 10: Laptop won't shutdown, restart or even sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Laptop won't shutdown, restart or even sleep: Hi Guys, Recently my laptop start to get real slow and i decided to by a Samsung EVO 850 250GB. I created an installation on a USB pen drive with the help of "Media Creation Tool" that can be found here Download Windows 10 and formatted the SSD disk and installed...
  8. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.: Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my drives stops after a few seconds, but my fans and LEDs keeps running. I've tried to do all the suggestions from My Laptop...
  9. Computer won't shutdown or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't shutdown or sleep.: I have installed W10 twice using the update feature. Everything work fine except when I want to shutdown or put the machine to sleep by clicking on those options, the machine makes noise like the HD is working. It then just shuts down and reboots again. The only way I can...
  10. computer won't sleep correctly.

in Windows 10 Support
    computer won't sleep correctly.: I am having this bizarre problem ever since I got my new ssd. if I select "sleep" it basically shuts down. I can turn it back on with the keyboard but it shows the boot logo and I lose everything this happened when I got the ssd and clean installed it. I went to do a reset...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. perfboost stops sleep