Windows 10: System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs

Discus and support System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm seeing reports in other forums about folks suddenly having a 256MB FAT32 SYSTEM (Z [img] partition appearing on their PCs! One person did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark Phelps, Apr 15, 2016.

1. System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs

I'm seeing reports in other forums about folks suddenly having a 256MB FAT32 SYSTEM (Z
    System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs [​IMG]
    partition appearing on their PCs!

One person did mention they had used a VPN app (which might have created this), but none of the others have done anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas we can investigate??

:)

Mark Phelps, Apr 15, 2016

2. Microsoft Assure

Looks like you're also experiencing a common Win10 glitch. Normally the ESP is a hidden partition you never see, but for some reason Win10 on some systems randomly assigns (and removes) a drive letter (ZSystem (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs :) for it. My suggestion would be to just ignore it.

RobertJWin, Apr 15, 2016
  3. Windows 10: Unknown System (ZSystem (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs :) Partition or Disk.

Drive shows in Explorer as Local Disk (ZSystem (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs :), 141MB free of 256MB. Properties shows File System as FAT32. "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click continue to permanently get access to this folder." if I try to open it. Clicking Continue
    brings up "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab." There is no security tab for the folder.

Running diskmgmt.msc as detailed above, no partition Z: is listed anywhere. The EFI System Partition, at Disk 0 partition 2 (marked as being 260MB) seems the most likely candidate.

This mystery Z: partition has appeared quite a few times in the past and generally disappears again after a reboot. Shouldn't be appearing at all, though.

MichaelHarrison_793, Apr 15, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs

Z is usually a Virtual Disk

5. OK ... but folk are wondering how it got there (since they say they did nothing) and when they try to access is or remove it, they get permission denied!

Mark Phelps, Apr 16, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Any links to these posts?

7. Berton Win User
    By default Windows starts assigning the drive letter Z: to Networked drives such as a NAS/Network Attached Storage then works back up the alphabet for additional such drives. I have 2 NAS drives attached to my Router, first one was Z: and the second I added became Y:. All computers working through the Router can access the drives after they are Mapped.

Berton, Apr 16, 2016
  8. System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs

Mark Phelps, Apr 16, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Look at disk management and if it's not there it has to be some virtual or network drive. If it is a partition on disk, you can take it's letter off.

CountMike, Apr 16, 2016
  10. johngalt Win User
    256 MB is a pretty small partition, if it is physical.

johngalt, Apr 16, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Had one of that size on my SSD and it was for GC and LL and at one time after an update it suddenly got a letter. It was made by program for updating FW on that SSD.

CountMike, Apr 16, 2016
  12. johngalt Win User
    I know, but auto assigning it a drive letter with such small space is pretty ridiculous. Seems the firmware update package did not mark the partition correctly, as in making it active during reboot so it could flash the firmware, but then making it inactive again so that Windows would not detect it.

johngalt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs

1. System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs - Similar Threads - System partition suddenly

2. System partition shows up as primary, no boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System partition shows up as primary, no boot: Hi, as in the title my problem is that the main system partition shows up as a fully primary partition, when trying to boot, I show a bios error "no boot device found press any ke......" bootrec /showos shows that the system on this drive is I have tried creating and deleting...
  3. System partition shows up as primary, no boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System partition shows up as primary, no boot: Hi, as in the title my problem is that the main system partition shows up as a fully primary partition, when trying to boot, I show a bios error "no boot device found press any ke......" bootrec /showos shows that the system on this drive is I have tried creating and deleting...
  4. System partition shows up as primary, no boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disk partitions not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partitions not showing up: Hi I have problem. I was reinstalling windows and formating and DELETING disks and didnt made now partitions. I dont care about lost data I backed out everything. But now disks not showing up in File Explorer even in Disk Management. I cant see my 500gb disk m.2 2tb disk HDD...
  6. Windows 10 500mb system partition keeps showing up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 500mb system partition keeps showing up.: Hello,I have a 508mb drive that keeps showing up in file explorer as drive s.I've looked up a similar problem, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mysterious-d-drive-500mb-appears-after-windows/01523ab6-abf6-4b7d-8de9-9b5aea82959dThe thread says it's a...
  7. Windows 10 500mb system partition keeps showing up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 500mb system partition keeps showing up.: Hello,I have a 508mb drive that keeps showing up in file explorer as drive s.I've looked up a similar problem, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mysterious-d-drive-500mb-appears-after-windows/01523ab6-abf6-4b7d-8de9-9b5aea82959dThe thread says it's a...
  8. Windows 10 500mb system partition keeps showing up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. [INSTALLATION] System partition only takes up 100mb for Win10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [INSTALLATION] System partition only takes up 100mb for Win10?: Trying to Re-install windows on my PC via USB https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, When creating the partitions the reserved system one that automatically is created only takes up 100 Mb for some reason, even though Win10 is supposed to have a 500 Mb...
  10. Restore partition showing up as a Z drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Restore partition showing up as a Z drive.: Hello everyone, Even though this is my first post, i'm a regular reader of various posts here. I have a DELL-XPS13 Laptop. After upgrading it from win8 to win10, i noticed a restore partition is getting showed up in explorer as Z drive. [img] When I open Disk...