Windows 10: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when gaming

Discus and support SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when gaming in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., PRIME B250M-A CPU: GenuineIntel IntelR CoreTM i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel8664, level: 6 4 logical processors, active... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LuyiTian, Jan 30, 2020.

1. LuyiTian Win User

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when gaming

Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., PRIME B250M-A

CPU: GenuineIntel IntelR CoreTM i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel8664, level: 6
    4 logical processors, active mask: 15

RAM: 17121218560 bytes 15.9GB

GPU: GTX 1660 6GB used to be GTX1060

I having BSOD after 5-10min gaming, usually 3D game such as WoW or DOTA2. I have posted on the community before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...it-error/033adfb7-ba88-448f-b72f-654b6419163c, followed the advice and it works for a while then the BSOD start again and even more frequent. It would even BSOD when I watch youtube. I am pretty sure it is related to my GPU because I never have the issue if I remove the graphic card and use the integrated GPU. So I brought a brand new graphic card GTX 1660, reinstalled everything but now the problem remains. I am really confused.

this is my recent dump files:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AryDlzdWvtVxnyFC74VDuoS0eUsI?e=soQSHz

:)

LuyiTian, Jan 30, 2020
  2. z609 Win User

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (Wdfilter.sys)

I got a similar issue. I've tried everything and debugging everything from checking memory dump files. I got several B(/G)SODs, with STOPs like:
    • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

The most prominent STOP was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The first time my issue started occurring was while I was playing Grand Theft Auto V. I wasn't doing anything different than usual, and I hadn't installed applications in weeks. I do remember postponing Insider updates for another three days the night before, but knowing Microsoft they probably still downloaded some updates or something in the background, likely causing issues. The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL refers to a broken driver. The computer collected info as usual and rebooted, although I could not get past the Windows start splash screen.

I am able to access Safe Mode but not normal mode, further confirming my suspicion of a driver issue. All BSOD's from that point onward were usually SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I attempted using verifier.exe and found two drivers that were causing problems, one to do with VMware workstation and another to do with Malwarebytes. I uninstalled the two programs and manually removed the drivers from \windows\System32\drivers.

This fixed the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION stop code, but I then started getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. This apparently correlates to a corrupt graphics driver, so I booted safe mode and used Display Driver Uninstaller and uninstalled the graphics drivers. I was able to reboot into normal mode, and I was actually able to get to my desktop for a couple seconds before getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop code. My theory is that Windows is attempting to automatically install a corrupt graphics driver, as I believe most automatic driver updates are done after the user has logged in. After the first several IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL screens, it went back to having a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, with WdFilter.sys being the culprit, according to both the details on the screen and the dump files.

I have no idea what to do, as I can't really do anything in normal mode and I can't access Windows Update settings from within the settings app in safe mode. And on top of that, I'm still Anyone who has any ideas: It'd be greatly appreciated.

Edit: OP mentioned using DISM, I'm running that now to see if that makes any difference.

3. BSOD, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD

I've been on windows 10 for quite a while now (at least 6-10 months). Recently, my computer started having these System Service Exception BSOD while under high loads: playing games, running a virtual box, installing programs etc etc etc. They are infrequent
    enough that i can browse the internet and play a few games but annoying enough that its causing all kinds of problems when i try to play some of the more graphical and CPU heavy games.

Yesterday i decided to reinstall windows 10 fresh as a result of the system_service_exception BSODs that i was getting figuring that perhaps the problem was undetectable malware or a fragmented registry, but after i was able to reinstall windows i started
    getting the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD/pointer errors. WhoCrashed shows that its probably a software problem but it doesn't give me any specificity.

I asked this same question on the tom's hardware forums with my DMP files and a guy said that it might be my Razer keyboard drivers which would make some sense considering that I just had to start using this keyboard because my newer one (Razer blackwidow
    ultimate) suddenly died. I reinstalled the drivers and removed the service in hopes that that would fix things and it stopped the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD (at least to my knowledge) but instead I got a system service error while attempting to play a game.
    I also ran Memtest86 last night for about 10 hours but there were no errors in my RAM sticks and I tried to run driver verifier but it got hung in a boot loop on my Sata controller driver due to verification problems and nothing that would actually cause
    these errors.

If anyone has any ideas that might help me i would appreciate it.

My rig:

asustek m5a99fx pro R2.0 + AMD FX 8350

16 gigs DDR3 RAM, 1T HD, Nvidia GTX 770 GPU

abeltensor, Jan 30, 2020
  4. Erika Aro Win User

System_service_exception

Thank you for providing the information. Upon checking the file, here's the stop code which causes the blue screen error:

Stop error message

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Stop Code

c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Windows SubSystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005. The system has been shut down.

It's related to missing or corrupted system files. We suggest running the
    System File Checker and Deployment Image Servicing and Management
    tool
    to scan for corruptions in the Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Continue to update us as you go along the listed troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

1. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when gaming - Similar Threads - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL gaming

2. Blue Screen of Death: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, and...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen of Death: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, and...: Hello, I've just recently started getting BSODs in the last few days. Bluescreenviewer says that the issue is caused by ntoskrnl.exe but I don't really know where to go from there. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could help me pinpoint what's going on. I will include the...
  3. BSODs: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL & DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSODs: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL & DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL: Hi, I'm having some trouble with blue screen errors and would really appreciate if someone could help me pinpoint my issue. Here are the dump files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoPTHsLGxKnMga8IOzqRzwJnJWGsww?e=XsW2uo It first started after a windows update that changed my...
  4. System_service_exception and irql_not_less_or_equal,ntoskrnl.exe

System_service_exception and irql_not_less_or_equal,ntoskrnl.exe: Здравствуйте, мне очень нужна помощь, я не могу справиться с этой проблемой очень долго. Моя система: AMD FX 8300 (4.4Ghz) RTX 2060 Оперативная память: 2 HyperX 1866mhz (повышение 1960mhz) твердотельный накопитель Kingston 120GB SSD WD 500gb синий Материнская плата:...
  5. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod when starting up java minecraft server

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod when starting up java minecraft server: I installed windows update kb4524244 around February 14th and my computer started to experience bluescreens only when starting my java Minecraft server. I would get one of the following two error codes on the blue screen: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I...
  6. Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BSOD on PC

Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BSOD on PC: Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., PRIME B250M-A CPU: GenuineIntel IntelR CoreTM i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel8664, level: 6 4 logical processors, active mask: 15 RAM: 17121218560 bytes 15.9GB GPU: GTX 1660 6GB used to be GTX1060 I having BSOD after 5-10min gaming, usually...
  7. Constant BSOD when gaming SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Constant BSOD when gaming SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION: Seeing my specs no reason I should be crashing, games run fine. Randomly crashes at times sends me a BSOD. Here's specs Windows 10 Home 64-bit Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz Kaby Lake 16.0GB Dual Corsair Vengance ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z270-A 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce...
  8. BSOD Hal.dll with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

BSOD Hal.dll with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION: Hi all, First post. Thanks for the terrific forum. So sometimes I get either one of these: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION I took out most of my RAM and thought that fixed it. I slowly added RAM back in and I've been running on 3(24GB) out 4 sticks or...
  9. BSOD When Playing Games System_Service_Exception

BSOD When Playing Games System_Service_Exception: I recently installed a new hard drive into my system. It began to crash with the System_Service_Exception error. I decided that since I was going to reinstall windows on a SSD anyways, I might as well do it now. So I reinstalled windows on a solid state and everything was...
  10. Bsod, irql_not_less_or_equal + system_service_exception

Bsod, irql_not_less_or_equal + system_service_exception: So, I've been on windows 10 for at least 6 months now, I've had the occasional crash and BSOD but nothing like whats been happening recently. I was getting all kinds of System Service exceptions and I decided to reinstall windows 10 to see if that would correct the problem (...