Windows 10: Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC

Discus and support Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have created a systems image on an external HDD using the old Windows 7 Backup/ Restore Setting which still exists in Windows 10. However when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by morgleman, Jul 18, 2020.

1. morgleman Win User

Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC

I have created a systems image on an external HDD using the old Windows 7 Backup/ Restore Setting which still exists in Windows 10.

However when trying to restore the image from the PC itself, the restore settings cannot find the WindowsSystemsImage Folder on the external drive

I had to use a bootable system recovery disk in order to find the folder on the USB drive and then restore the image

I used to be able to see the external image on the laptop usb

What's changed?

:)

morgleman, Jul 18, 2020

2. Conflicting messages with Win 10 system image backup

Hi,

I realize that you are getting conflicting messages with Windows 10 system image backup. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

• What is the free space available on the external HDD?

Unplug the external HDD, restart the computer and then plug in the external HDD to check if that helps with the system image backup.

You may temporarily disable the security software and check if this helps.

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software
    is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

Suggest you to boot the PC in a clean boot state to check if that helps. A clean boot step will help us determine if any 3rd party service or application is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jul 18, 2020
  3. Creating and Saving Win 10 System Images

You can save system image either on:

• A different HDD(partition)
    • External HDD
    • CD/DVD
    I don't think there is a way to save Multiple Image backups on the same drive.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Systems Image on External HDD not seen by PC - Similar Threads - Systems Image External

2. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC: I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking, after trying to fix the error in the file $I30 I can’t remember exactly, so I formatted the entire drive, created a system...
  3. External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HDD keeps disconnecting while re-imaging my PC: I first noticed the problem a while back, while checking it for corruptions. The HDD would disconnect itself every time it enters phase 2 of checking, after trying to fix the error in the file $I30 I can’t remember exactly, so I formatted the entire drive, created a system...
  4. External HDD recognized as system I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD recognized as system I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS!: This is crazy.. Ok so I reset my computer not too long ago, and I must've had my external drive plugged in because now my computer sees it as a system drive. I literally have 2 different versions of "Download, Documents, etc" and things get moved, deleted, and messed with...
  5. External HDD recognized as system I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS!

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD recognized as system I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS!: This is crazy.. Ok so I reset my computer not too long ago, and I must've had my external drive plugged in because now my computer sees it as a system drive. I literally have 2 different versions of "Download, Documents, etc" and things get moved, deleted, and messed with...
  6. External HDD recognized as system I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS!

External HDD recognized as system I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS!: Hey guys, so I reset my computer recently. I had my external harddrive plugged in when windows was being installed. Now it wont do certain things without being connected, and I can't access certain files (even files like Documents, Pictures, etc). For some reason it'll still...
  7. System disk not seen in THIS PC

System disk not seen in THIS PC: It does show in Disk Management. My concern is that SAVE AS does not allow me access to locations on the HDD when C:\ is not shown. It is obviously being accessed because the PC is running, yet does not show ! x32Win10ProV20H2 171805
  8. System disk not seen in THIS PC

in Windows 10 Support
    System disk not seen in THIS PC: It does show in Disk Management. My concern is that SAVE AS does not allow me access to locations on the HDD when C:\ is not shown. It is obviously being accessed because the PC is running, yet does not show ! x32Win10ProV20H2 171805
  9. Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trouble Creating Image of my PC Using External HDD: I'm trying to create an image, for backup purposes, of my Toshiba laptop, W10 OS, using the built in backup utility. I'm using a 1 TB external hard drive. When I try to create the image onto the external drive the 'proceed' button in the dialogue box is greyed out and...
  10. hdd not seen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hdd not seen: I am trying to load win 10 but when I get to the screen "where do you want to install windows" the message "we couldn't find any drives........." and only the "refresh and load driver" buttons are enabled. The load driver button points in the direction of the installation...