Windows 10: SysWOW64 a virus?

Discus and support SysWOW64 a virus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Recently, my pc was misbehaving a lot. Taking lot of time booting and starting apps. Freezing time to time etc. So I reset my PC completely. Now, I'm... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mansi0312, May 27, 2020.

1. mansi0312 Win User

SysWOW64 a virus?

Recently, my pc was misbehaving a lot. Taking lot of time booting and starting apps. Freezing time to time etc. So I reset my PC completely. Now, I'm reinstalling all my apps. My anti virus app while scanning the PC gave a lot of warnings regarding files in SysWOW64 folder. I know that this folder helps in running 32 bit applications in 64 bit system. Can there be files in that folder that can be considered suspicious? If, yes? What to do now? Completely reinstall windows again but this time from BIOS? If, no? then why is my anti virus considering them to be suspicious?

My windows is up to date. Before installing my anti-virus software, Windows defender did not give any such warnings.

:)

mansi0312, May 27, 2020

2. SysWOW64

The name is ashampoo Anti-virus and i actually got 4 virusses from SysWOW64 : C:\windows\SysWOW64\proquota.exe

C:\windows\SysWOW64\iexpress.exe

C:\windows\SysWOW64\cttune.exe

C:\windows\SysWOW64\bthuftask.exe

and there is sime other thing maybe related to syswow : C:\windows\softwareDistribution\download\06b35beae3bef6f889c9859c80e and i couldnt read it any further but in the name it sais gen.trojan.heur

AlexVan den Broek, May 27, 2020
  3. Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus?

I have read at multiple places that the file 'svchost.exe' should only be in the 'System32' folder. I searched my PC and this file is also present in the 'SysWOW64' folder. Does this mean that there is a virus/malware?
    Note:- I have also read at wikipedia that this file has one of its image located in SysWOW64 folder. So, I am a little confused.

manubhatt3, May 27, 2020
  4. SysWOW64 a virus?

SysWOW64

Scanned and quarantined by what? Please provide the full name of the detection and the location where it was found. I suspect that you are providing part of the infection location or name.

In 64 bit versions of Windows, there is a folder by this name containing files used by the operating system:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64

The 'Program Files (x86)' and 'SysWOW64' folders explained / Windows 64-bit (Technical Article)

On the other hand, do a web search for "SysWOW64 Virus" and you'll be faced with a slew of bogus virus removal sites designed to sell you their bogus services or programs to "fix" the "dangerous" virus. In fact, your original post mentions tools that scan
    your PC to report a million problems that want you to pay for removal/repair -- that's exactly what you will find by going to any of the sites in the search results for this...

There are viruses that will infect files within this folder. To provide assistance in removal, we'd need to know what was actually detected and by what.

-steve

Stephen Boots, May 27, 2020
Thema:

SysWOW64 a virus?

1. SysWOW64 a virus? - Similar Threads - SysWOW64 virus

2. By mistakely I deleted some system 32 files i think i also deleted syswow64 some files too...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    By mistakely I deleted some system 32 files i think i also deleted syswow64 some files too...: Pls help with this! My laptop isnt working properly search bar isnt working as well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/by-mistakely-i-deleted-some-system-32-files-i/1ebf0eaa-9fe3-4a65-8456-84884d3d341c
  3. By mistakely I deleted some system 32 files i think i also deleted syswow64 some files too...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    By mistakely I deleted some system 32 files i think i also deleted syswow64 some files too...: Pls help with this! My laptop isnt working properly search bar isnt working as well. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/by-mistakely-i-deleted-some-system-32-files-i/1ebf0eaa-9fe3-4a65-8456-84884d3d341c
  4. Error 1904.Module C:\windows\sysWOW64\ssdatb32.ocx failed to register HRESULT 2147220473

Error 1904.Module C:\windows\sysWOW64\ssdatb32.ocx failed to register HRESULT 2147220473: Hello,I'm trying to install Aspen One Engineering V12 on my Windows 11 and i am getting this error.I want to resolve this issue as soon as possible because I need this for my study purpose.With regards, Pavan...
  5. msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...: Windows Defender has detected the msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder as a virus. I followed the procedure to remove it from the computer, but because it's gone, the computer cannot complete installation process anymore. I submitted it to Microsoft Security Intelligence, thinking...
  6. msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...

msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder detected as virus, but removing it causes installation...: Windows Defender has detected the msiexec.exe in SYSWOW64 folder as a virus. I followed the procedure to remove it from the computer, but because it's gone, the computer cannot complete installation process anymore. I submitted it to Microsoft Security Intelligence, thinking...
  7. Are these viruses? cmd.exe in C:\Windows\System32 & C:\Windows\SysWOW64

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Are these viruses? cmd.exe in C:\Windows\System32 & C:\Windows\SysWOW64: I've scanned both specific files with Virus Total and Malwarebytes which Malwarebytes came back as clean however both files on Virus Total come back as 1 Flag = ClamAV =Win.Virus.Expiro-9916965-0. I've completely wiped the .exe from both files and booted into safe mode and...
  8. What is syswow64 vmnat.exe process? Is it a virus?

in Windows 10 News
    What is syswow64 vmnat.exe process? Is it a virus?: If you encounter vmnat.exe running in the Task Manager, you may want to know if it’s a genuine process or a virus. In this article, we will check if vmnat.exe running in your Task Manager is a virus. If you have installed VMware software on your PC, an executable file,...
  9. SysWOW64\msi.dll (virus detected) when got new update(1809) for windows 10

SysWOW64\msi.dll (virus detected) when got new update(1809) for windows 10: sir i have got new update for windows 10 (1809) and after that virus was detected in file C:\WINDOWS|SySWOW64\msi.dll antivirus shows its name(EE:Malwr.Heur.Graftor.Elzob.192) please tell me how to get rid of this virus...
  10. Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus?

Does 'svchost.exe' being in the 'SysWOW64' folder, constitute a Virus?: I have read at multiple places that the file 'svchost.exe' should only be in the 'System32' folder. I searched my PC and this file is also present in the 'SysWOW64' folder. Does this mean that there is a virus/malware? Note:- I have also read at wikipedia that this file has...