Windows 10: tab and left ctrl keys stopped working

Discus and support tab and left ctrl keys stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello microsoft answers, today both my tab key and left ctrl key randomly stopped working. every other key works fine except for those two,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jerosene, Mar 22, 2021.

1. jerosene Win User

tab and left ctrl keys stopped working

hello microsoft answers,

today both my tab key and left ctrl key randomly stopped working. every other key works fine except for those two, coincidentally my 2 most used keys. ive tried searching online for answers but they keep giving me solutions for the tab + left ctrl shortcut not working rather than the keys themselves not working. the right ctrl works fine so i can use that if there really is no solution but i cant really use another tab key. they were working fine until this morning. any help or info would be so greatly appreciated

:)

jerosene, Mar 22, 2021

2. left ctrl + tab not working but right ctrl + tab works

Hi, my left ctrl + tab not working but right ctrl + tab works. I am using Windows 10.

Would anyone please advice on how to solve this issue? Thanks!

MeliaWinata, Mar 22, 2021
  3. My left ctrl key stopped working, and the right ctrl key is pressing both keys

Hello fellow members, so I recently bought a new keyboard because I got a gaming PC, and probably 2 weeks into using this keyboard, during gameplay. the left ctrl key for some reason stopped working, and all of a sudden both ctrl keys were being pressed
    at the same time (and it didn't stop), I don't know what happened but that problem is gone, but the left ctrl key is still not working, and I found out that the right ctrl is simultaneously the left ctrl key, I don't get it, please help me if you can people,
    thank you so much.

Nicholas Bocek, Mar 22, 2021
  4. JoshuaXD Win User

Left CTRL key not working properly

Ever since I left the insiders build of windows (because I got sick of bugs and constant updates) and completely reinstalled windows to the latest stable version, the left control key won't work 100% of the time. The right one works just fine, and I've seen multiple threads on Google about it, but their solutions haven't helped.

I've tried the Ctrl+Alt+Fn solution that people said worked, it doesn't for me.
    As for drivers, they're all updated/installed and it still doesn't work. Unless I missed something, but I made sure to agonize over which drivers to install and install the right ones for hours. It could be possible I need a driver or something because reinstalling windows removed all drivers.
    I tried going into the device manager and uninstalling all the drivers in the keyboard section and restarting my PC, still doesn't work.

I don't think it's a hardware issue, meaning physically the Ctrl key is broken. It can't be because it was working 100% of the time before I went back to the stable version of windows.

What I mean by "not working 100% of the time" is this:

Before I used Ctrl+Alt+Fn:
    000000v0v00000vv0vvvv0000v00v000vvv0vvv0v0v0vvvvv000vv0v0v000vvvv0v00vv000v000vvvvvvv0vv0vvvvv00v0vv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

After I used it:
    00000000000000000000000000000000v00000000000000000000000000000000000000v0000000vvv000v000v0v000v00v0 0vvvvv0v0vvvvvvvvvvvvv0v

Sorry for the spam, but the 0's is when the Ctrl in Ctrl+V worked and the Vs is when the Ctrl didn't work at all, it only recognized me pressing V. If it wasn't obvious, I had "0" copied to show the success rate of the left ctrl key. Every time I attempted to paste a "0" I would hold the ctrl key down and press V, then let go of both keys and try again, and so on.

So anyway, you can see even after one solution it sort of worked, then decided to stop. It should work ALL the time.

If you're wondering, my version of windows is: 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867)

Thanks in advance.

JoshuaXD, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

1. tab and left ctrl keys stopped working - Similar Threads - tab left ctrl

2. left Ctrl key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    left Ctrl key not working: I have recently discovered that whenever I try to use keyboard shortcuts i.e. ctrl + C, ctrl + Z, etc. with my LEFT control key, nothing happens. Instead, it will just type the letter I tried to use in the shortcut. So if I try to copy, it will enter a C. This is only...
  3. left Ctrl key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    left Ctrl key not working: I have recently discovered that whenever I try to use keyboard shortcuts i.e. ctrl + C, ctrl + Z, etc. with my LEFT control key, nothing happens. Instead, it will just type the letter I tried to use in the shortcut. So if I try to copy, it will enter a C. This is only...
  4. Left CTRL key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left CTRL key doesn't work: On my Windows 10 Pro the left CTRL key doesn't work.For example, hitting CTRL+F on my browser to lunch "Find in page" doesn't do anything. BUT the right CTRL key works fine. Same for other functions such as CTRL+C and CTRL+V - they work just fine only with the right CTRL and...
  5. Left CTRL key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Left CTRL key doesn't work: On my Windows 10 Pro the left CTRL key doesn't work.For example, hitting CTRL+F on my browser to lunch "Find in page" doesn't do anything. BUT the right CTRL key works fine. Same for other functions such as CTRL+C and CTRL+V - they work just fine only with the right CTRL and...
  6. Tab and left CTRL not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tab and left CTRL not working: I have had this problem persist for a few months now so restarting the computer or updating windows is not the answer. My left CTRL key and Tab key on my HP Envy 360 stopped working suddenly. The laptop is less than a year old and I have removed the keys to check for debris...
  7. Tab and left CTRL not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tab and left CTRL not working: I have had this problem persist for a few months now so restarting the computer or updating windows is not the answer. My left CTRL key and Tab key on my HP Envy 360 stopped working suddenly. The laptop is less than a year old and I have removed the keys to check for debris...
  8. Tab and left CTRL not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Left CTRL key not working properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Left CTRL key not working properly: Ever since I left the insiders build of windows (because I got sick of bugs and constant updates) and completely reinstalled windows to the latest stable version, the left control key won't work 100% of the time. The right one works just fine, and I've seen multiple threads...
  10. My left ctrl key stopped working, and the right ctrl key is pressing both keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My left ctrl key stopped working, and the right ctrl key is pressing both keys: Hello fellow members, so I recently bought a new keyboard because I got a gaming PC, and probably 2 weeks into using this keyboard, during gameplay. the left ctrl key for some reason stopped working, and all of a sudden both ctrl keys were being pressed at the same time (and...