Windows 10: Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix?

Discus and support Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Title says it all really. I use MS Paint a lot (ask my kids who think I'm mad). However, with the recent update of Windows (I believe the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ArthurDent, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix?

Hi,

Title says it all really.

I use MS Paint a lot (ask my kids who think I'm mad).

However, with the recent update of Windows (I believe the 'feature' appeared with v.1903), I can't TAB text anymore - indeed it is the subject of this thread on TenForums: New Microsoft Paint Accessibility Features in Windows 10 version 1903

Okay, so this seems to be a 'feature' that MS have imposed. It seems that Brandon LeBlanc of the Windows Insider team is the idiot that foisted this change on all of us with no way to turn the damn thing off!

The TAB key now controls which of the text box's control points (the drag handles) are active and cycles in turn through each one with repeated presses of the TAB key.

Is there any way to turn OFF this feature to get the TAB key working as it did?

I've had a good look in System and Apps and Features (Paint doesn't appear anywhere - either under 'Apps and Features' or under 'Default Apps') and I can't find anywhere where I can change the behaviour of the TAB key.

Anyone know how to do this or are we stuck with this feature that MS have imposed to "improve" our Windows experience.

Thankfully, the space bar still works (I see after trawling the web that some folks have reported that not only have they lost the ordinary TAB functionality but also that their space bar doesn't work!)

Art

:)

ArthurDent, Jul 17, 2020
  2. xsteveuk Win User

Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix?

In the search box next to Start on the taskbar, type paint and then select Paint from the list of results.
    And you can select as where to add - it pin to start - pin to taskbar

Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix? [​IMG]

xsteveuk, Jul 17, 2020
  3. Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix?

Hi,

Title says it all really.

I use MS Paint a lot (ask my kids who think I'm mad).

However, with the recent update of Windows (I believe the 'feature' appeared with v.1903), I can't TAB text anymore - indeed it is the subject of this thread on TenForums: New Microsoft Paint Accessibility Features in Windows 10 version 1903

Okay, so this seems to be a 'feature' that MS have imposed. It seems that Brandon LeBlanc of the Windows Insider team is the idiot that foisted this change on all of us with no way to turn the damn thing off!

The TAB key now controls which of the text box's control points (the drag handles) are active and cycles in turn through each one with repeated presses of the TAB key.

Is there any way to turn OFF this feature to get the TAB key working as it did?

I've had a good look in System and Apps and Features (Paint doesn't appear anywhere - either under 'Apps and Features' or under 'Default Apps') and I can't find anywhere where I can change the behaviour of the TAB key.

Anyone know how to do this or are we stuck with this feature that MS have imposed to "improve" our Windows experience.

Thankfully, the space bar still works (I see after trawling the web that some folks have reported that not only have they lost the ordinary TAB functionality but also that their space bar doesn't work!)

Art

ArthurDent, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

Art,

You could rescue an old version of MS Paint from an old system image.

Mounting the image is explained in Macrium's manual.
    Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - user guide [version-independent link]

Mount the image then find & rescue its Paint using the procedure in
    Rescue Old Windows 10 Applications from Oblivion - Windows Enterprise Desktop

Addn - It keeps its old behaviour even when run within modern Windows versions. I've just tested a June 2017 [Version 1703] copy and it tabs within text as you want it to.

Denis

Thema:

1. Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix? - Similar Threads - Tab key doesn't

2. Paint - Text box doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Paint - Text box doesn't work: Hi, I use Paint a lot for simple graphics, and the text box tool has stopped allowing carriage return and sometimes stops spacing too. When I hit carriage return the text freezes and the curser jumps to the edge of the text box. Any solutions? I'm on Windows 10....
  3. Paint - Text box doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paint - Text box doesn't work: Hi, I use Paint a lot for simple graphics, and the text box tool has stopped allowing carriage return and sometimes stops spacing too. When I hit carriage return the text freezes and the curser jumps to the edge of the text box. Any solutions? I'm on Windows 10....
  4. Tab Key?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tab Key?: Hi EveryoneI have a problem with my laptop, it seems that the Tab Key is constantly being pressed, it doesn't happen all the time and only happens after i have been using the laptop for a while, removing the tab key does nothing and it usually stops after a few seconds, i...
  5. Tab Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tab Key: If i want to use my tab key i need to hold down my shift key it happend today can u help me please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tab-key/f30d61af-4dc8-49f0-9c56-78c809cf60e5
  6. Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix?

in Windows 10 Support
    Tab key doesn't 'tab' in MS Paint Text Box anymore - is there a fix?: Hi, Title says it all really. I use MS Paint a lot (ask my kids who think I'm mad). However, with the recent update of Windows (I believe the 'feature' appeared with v.1903), I can't TAB text anymore - indeed it is the subject of this thread on TenForums: New Microsoft...
  7. MS Paint Tab key grabs transform box in text editor...

MS Paint Tab key grabs transform box in text editor...: I opened paint, fudged some keys and noticed when typing into a text box, the tab key now grabs the corners one by one of the transform box around the text editor. I have tried everything to solve this. Driver updates, plugged in different keyboards, downloaded paint 3D Tab...
  8. text box in Paint 3D

text box in Paint 3D: How do I access the text box I created in Paint 3D? I want to delete the text box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-box-in-paint-3d/a7600acd-231d-4515-b6bf-4086b1bd814d
  9. MS Paint text box issue

MS Paint text box issue: When going to type on a text box on MS paint, I'd like to indent first and proceed with writing. I usually hit the tab button on my keyboard. This always worked until today when I hit my keyboard's tab button and instead of the cursor moving to the right to indent, an arrow...
  10. Win + Tab doesn't open task view anymore

Win + Tab doesn't open task view anymore: I think I pressed a combination of buttons on accident and now my win + tab shortcut selects things. How to I switch it back to task view?...